Can different sections of the river be different

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by FlatGetter, Feb 24, 2006.

1. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I primarely fish flatheads. I went out a decent number of times last year. I know what im looking for, but the numbers ar'nt that great. I know that some sections of river can be more productive from fishing flatheads, but can they not like a section of river as well. The part of river I fished them is pretty narrow and pretty shallow and the further down river you go the deeper and wider it gets.

2. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Flatgetter, the answer is Absolutely, every stretch of river is completely different. Some stretches offer more gravel, some are more rocky, some offer lots of riffles while other stretches have lots of pools. I would head downstream to the deepest holes with some current you can find, the more slab rock or downed trees in the deeper holes, the better!
    Remember that flathead cats are structure oriented and just deep is not a place to get numbers, find the structures and the more fish you will find.

Salmonid

3. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Oh yeah, I also recommend you get a hold of a canoe and float as much of the river as you can and make good mental notes on the best looking holes you can find. A portable depth finder would be a bonus to look for the deepest holes and start your search from there.

Salmonid

4. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I don't know what size river you fish but on small streams Where the hole is only 10 or 20 yrds long and has a small amt of cover you might only catch one fish. They are territorial and will run out any fish smaller than themselves, they don't like company if its close. If you have 40 or 50 yds of cover then each can find a spot to hole up in, and more chance of multiple fish. When you catch one from a small hole pick up and go to the next hole and so on. Don't sit on them unless its large enough to support a few. But you have to fish in deeper water with wood or rock cover or near same.

5. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Salmonid gets a two thumbs up for his suggestion Flatgetter :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I did the exact same thing when I began fishing here in IN. I paddled about 14 miles of river & noted depth & structure along the way. I had access to some real nice aerial photos that I copied and took along with me -- I numbered spots of interest on the photo and then added commments corresponding to the numbers on the back. Now I have 14 miles of river mapped & know where I should go to catch channels & flats...and areas to avoid! If you can't get aerial photos, copies of topo maps work just as well.

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    good posts guy! also keep fishing presure in mind. i have fished sections near towns that are known to be populated with fish eaters. those sections arent worth my time,unless you like catching very few runts. you have to get out where others dont fish. if you have a small river that isnt boat friendly then you probebly have good holes awaiting you(cnr!). you will be rewarded for your efforts. after you are then keep quiet. ;) oops theres that selfishness again eh DH. (small river state of mind)