Can catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by freakyfish, Apr 28, 2009.

1. freakyfish

freakyfish New Member

State:
    florida
    Can Cat fish stand toxic water? Like bad brown algea that kills off other fish. I am new to this site hope this is in right area.

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't know about brown algae, but I think catfish can tolerate dirtier water and lower oxygen levels than alot of other fish. Welcome to the BOC!

3. Shenandoah

Shenandoah New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Welcome to the BOC Brad.
    IMHO I think that catfish can survive pretty nasty water I'm not sure about the brown algae if there were any catfish it would be bullheads (there not called mudcats for nothing). I think it will depend more upon the water temp though for the catfish cause in my experience brown algae is found alot in warm if not hot water. And catfish are not the ultimate survivor that would go to mosquitofish, you will find them in almost anything, within there range which should be in florida as well. I guess you can also find walking catfish in your nasty water they can survive some pretty bad stuff and you never know what someone has smuggled into florida.

4. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Contrary to popular belief catfish are not very tolerant of polluted waters..Bullheads are able to tolerate lower oxygen levels but none of the catfish species can survive in "nasty" "toxic" or "dirty water"..

5. freakyfish

freakyfish New Member

State:
    florida
    Yes you are right.It is very hot water.Really low water .It is sopost to run in other lakes but it is to low to go anywhere.It has killed off crappie and bass.I was hoping I could shoot for some catfish but it looks grimm.

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Brad.

7. freakyfish

freakyfish New Member

State:
    florida
    Thanks everyone glad to be here.

8. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Right on Les. I had a pond on my place turn black on go septic during the 'Drought of 88'. It was stocked w/ channels and hybrid gills. Everyone of the channels died but not a single gill was lost. They were able to come to the surface and gape and breathe; and they did this for several weeks.

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Brad, Welcome to the BOC!

10. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Brad.Welcome.Theres a lot to be learned on here.:eek:oooh: