Can catfish hear the transducer ping?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by gearhead, Jan 12, 2007.

1. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    I read an article about a catfish and how their air bladder and or picking up sound vibrations , real good hearing sort of , should i turn off my depth finder when ancoring up or drifting because i havent been. What do you think.

2. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas

3. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Some one please do a study on catfish ears. Please.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Yep, they can hear it, they can feel it and they can smell it. You'll never catch anything with your sonar on. Better take it out of the boat and leave it at home... :roll_eyes:

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    You can do what ever you want. Marty is right in being sarcastic. Do a quick search on the web and learn something about fish ears and lateral lines. They can only feel pressure waves about equivalent to a person walking. One website said 100hz and less another one said around 160hz-200hz. Let's just assume you have a lower end unit at around 800hz. I don't think they can feel it and I doubt they can hear that.

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    If you are anchored, there's little reason to have the sonar on. I use mine principally to make sure my drift is over the areas of depth I want to cover and leave it on. But, my line is not inside the cone of the finder, its cast way beyond where there would be any pinging. And, then there are those places I k now the depths so well and there isn't a contour to follow, its pretty flat from side to side, there I don't use the finder at all.

7. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I knew you would come around Buddy!!!!

8. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    Thanks fishbrew i have never seen that old topic or i would not of ask the same question, i dont want to throw gas on that fire .