can catfish "feel" the tension in the line caused by a baitclicker??

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by brandonbtbt, Jun 21, 2009.

1. brandonbtbt

brandonbtbt New Member

State:
    Cambridge, OH
    i just bought 3 new shimano tekota 600 reels last week and i love them a lot... the only think i was hesitant about was how hard you have to tug the line when the clicker is on vs. my good ol' abu garcia 6600's..... so me and my brother casted it out a good ways and went and tugged on it while the clicker was on and it took no effort at all to pull it out.....

i think the catfish have no idea whats going on when they bite down on our bait and swim away seeing how theyre pullin an 8/0 hook and a 2-3 oz sinker at the bottom of the lake... if theyre gonna eat the bait theyre going to no matter how hard it is to tug the clicker out all they know is they have food in their mouth...

what do you guys think??? am i overthinking this a little too much?

p.s... adjusting the spool brake doesn't change the "tug" strength like it would on my abu's

2. Bocan

Bocan New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I think they might be able to feel it sometimes, just like they can when you are tightlined. but i have used clickers right next to tightlines and didnt seem to see any difference in which one caught more or less. usually when they hit the clicker it was a few clicks.. then run like a bull.

3. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I don't think they are that smart. You are way overthinking this,IMO. Good question though. I am sure there are others out here that will disagree though.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    There will be arguments both ways on this one. I personally think if the fish has its senses on feeding, the feel of the line will do little to deter his actions. Congrats on the new reels

5. Shimano_cat

Shimano_cat New Member

State:
    North Caro
    All good advice, and the Tekotas are awesome.

6. catfishhunter2009

catfishhunter2009 New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I agree with Mickey . But I have also questioned that myself . I dont find it to be a problem with my stiffer clicker reels .

7. getthenet

getthenet New Member

State:
    ohio
    that will cause a difference in tension i never turn my clicker off he will feel a difference and most times drop the bait

8. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yeah i don't think its so much an issue with if they feel tension i think you have to worry about a change in tension. really it doesn't matter what you do either way, but whatever that tension may be, make sure it doesn't change, if they feel tension then no tension i think it throws them off and they drop it.

9. 40oz

40oz New Member

State:
    Gun Barrel Tx
    I think they eat first ask questions later

10. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I don't think cats are that shy.

11. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Do you really think that the clicker vibration runs down to the end of the line? I know we all have heard of or tried a tin can telephone, you know the one with a cotton string that transfers your voice. Well that same phone wont work if the line is not tight and on the ground or under water. You clicker sound will not travel down to the fish there is to much liquid to dampen even the greatest vibration. Sure a fish knows when it has something in it's mouth but it is not a conscious thought like we have. They don't smack their lips and think how good it tastes. Fish run on instinct. People give way way to much credit to the fish for missed hook sets. If and I say if a fish has the whole bait in it's mouth and you have your hook placed in an unencumbered spot and there is plenty of hook exposed and the said fish closes it's mouth and either moves away it's self of you set the hook at the right time, you may get it hooked.If just one of these things doesn't go right or the fish just plain looses it's grip you will miss hooking it. When you quit giving the fish so much credit for smarts you will up your catch. :wink:

12. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    They probably do but it doesn't matter anyway because if the clicker's clicking that cat is about to get stuck!:wink:

13. getthenet

getthenet New Member

State:
    ohio
    if that fish in running with the clicker on and you turn it off while hes running with bait 9 out of 10 times hell drop the bait just that little change in tension can make all the difference in the world. i set the hook with clicker on and after hes hooked turn it off or i use my bite alarms with clicker off. also if hes running with bait and your a good ways away from your rod dont run to your rod walk slowly he will feel the vibration of you running to your rod

14. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    yep, i agree

15. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I honestly think they do feel them, and at times it results in droped baits.

I use abu baitcasters, and I wont use the clickers.

I tight line with circle hooks, and as soon as the fish pulls down on the rod he is hooked.

I lost way to may fish in my view buy using clickers.

16. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
  17. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio

I've found a fish intelligence study that was way more in depth than any of these, and it placed the catfish pretty high on the intelligence scale in comparison to other fish..... I can't seem to find that one anymore though.

Don't let the fact that a fish has no backbone fool you though, Octopi and Squid do not possess a backbone either and are related to SNAILS, and yet are considered some of the most intelligent non-human animals on the planet.

18. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio

Just sayin'! :tounge_out:

LOL

19. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    no dont get me wrong, what i mint by ( ok then) was , someone did a study on this? just think ,im sure the study had to be funded, i mean if it was a in depth study