Can blue tilapia live in nieghborhood ponds?

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by katfish hunter, Jun 3, 2006.

1. katfish hunter

katfish hunter New Member

State:
    Jacksonville,FL.
    I'VE seen many fish in the pond that I fish that look like the blue tilapia.I don't know how to catch them or if the fish I see truley are them.Does anyone know of blue tilapia in neighborhood ponds?

Attached Files:

2. Jimmy Don

Jimmy Don Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Very simply put, Yes they can.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission stocks a few lakes around here with tilapia. They started stocking them as forage fish for other species, but they have become the target species for many fishermen now. The problem with them is They can't survive the winters here, they die off every fall and must be restocked every spring. This may not be the case in your area of Florida, if you are in the southern part they may live through the winter.

Luckily for the fishermen who chase them, they grow very fast and will reach well over a pound in one season. I have never fished for them myself, but from what have heard the hotter the weather the better they bite.

I hope I have been helpful.

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Best that I have been able to find out in the last hour is,you got them in the St.Johns River basin,drainage,etc.There are hours worth of stuff on them.They say that they are good eating.peewee-williams

4. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    according to outdoor life they only live in africa and el salto lake in mexico?

5. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    I have seen a friend bring in a coupla hundred pounds for his freezer with his bow in central Florida. they thrive there! (in lakes, not freezer) LOL