Can anyone tell me spawning signs for catfish?

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by Matt_Clouse, Jun 3, 2006.

1. Matt_Clouse

Matt_Clouse New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hello i was wondering if there was a way u can look at the catfish or maybe the area to see if the catfish are spawning or getting close or maybe coming off a spawn?

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Matt, when the cats are first pairing up and starting to make nests, they will get scratches on their sides and back and belly. Also they tend to carry the rocks and gravel out of the nest with their mouths and they will wear down their teeth considerably. They should feed up until they actually spawn, but afterwards the male will guard the nest for two or three weeks and will not feed at this time. When they come off the nest they will look ragged out. The females bellies will be flopping in the breeze and there will be scars and scratches all over them. Also they get so week during spawn that a lot of cats will have those little flukes all over their heads. Vern

3. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    They will be laying on their back, smoking a cigarette, and look totally worn out. :big_smile:

4. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    The males heads are all swelled up, as vlparrish says they are just ragged looking there tails are worn down and bleeding as the males will use it to scoop out areas for the female to bed down in, they generally have cuts and scapes the entire length of there body, I'll post a picture of a spawning Blue my son caught last year in Henderson............Doc

5. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I've never seen one do that lol!

6. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the info! 10 days ago we were catching a lot of cats with scratches on their sides. Today we went out and didn't get any, but they are showing up on the finder. Couldn't get them to bite.

7. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Majesticman,

Your killing me Man:lol:

Heres a picture of a 37# spawning Blue

Attached Files:

8. meat_hunter

meat_hunter New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    Question? So When Does The Spawn Usually Come To An End? And When Do They Usually Start To Bite Good Again?

9. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Depends on a lot of factors, normally as the water warms to 75 degrees they go on a killing spree, not all of them go at the same time and different areas and waters can make it longer or shorter, after they have there fun and break out the cigarettes, I'm still laughing over that one, the male will drive the female away just beating her to get her away from the nest, the male then uses his tail to keep the silt off the eggs and guards the nest like a rabid dog, takes about 2-3 weeks of the male doing this then the little guys are on there own sometimes the male is so hungery that he sometimes eats the fry as they leave, and you can bet that being a youngin there survival rate is not the best, June and July are generally the spawning months on the Ohio River, August the fish are in full swing and again on a killing spree.

Here's a test of a full size picture of Larry's Blue
    http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2459/larrysblue376js.jpg

10. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Good info! Thanks Doctor Tim!!

11. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I can always tell when they are spawning cause the signs a pretty obvious, LOL!!!

I couldn't resist, Please forgive me, LMAO!!!

12. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    JW, At least the cats notify you when they are spawning! We don't have such thoughtful catfish here.:big_smile:lol

13. stephens

stephens New Member

State:
    clarksville tn
    do the males strike the females to get the eggs out our do the females just lay there eggs. male walleyes strike the female walleye to broadcast her eggs.

14. Matt_Clouse

Matt_Clouse New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    im thinking about going with rickster june the 20th about 3 weeks after they started slowing down on the bites if there coming off at that time do they usally go crazy for food since they have not eaten in so long and ty so much for the information already provided

15. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    J.W. make sure and take the sign down when they are done.lol

16. Nightprowler

Nightprowler New Member

State:
    ohio
    Matt this fish in my avatar is a good example of a spawning flattie.