Can anyone suggest a good non-abu reel that will mostly be used in the Ohio River?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by kitsinni, Jul 27, 2009.

1. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am looking for a good catfishing baitcaster that will be used from a boat on the river mostly. I have had some bad Abu experiences. When their reels are working I love them, they are my favorite, but I am getting tired of the issues. I have a 7000c3 and sometimes you have to spin the handle 5 times to get it to engage, I have an older 6500c3 and the anti-reverse quit working, I just bought two brand new 6500c3 from bass pro and both of them started grinding on my first fish. So I think I am going to try something else.

Does anyone have any suggestions on other good reels to try? I would like them to be able to cast a descent amount but I will be in a boat mostly so that is a secondary concern. I just need a good clicker, hold a descent amount of line, a good drag and handle a big cat without much issue. I was looking at Penn 209/309. I use a lot of pleuger reels for my smaller spinning outfits maybe they have a quality baitcaster?

2. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Penn 525 MAG or if you wanna spend some money, the PENN International Series are great reels!

3. boyd79

boyd79 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i got two 9000 big game reels for the ohio and cumbarland river. i tried my 6500 black cats, did well with 50lb fish in mild curent. but at the smithland dam those big boys woudn,t let me do anything but hang on till all my line was gone, u hook a 100lb pluse blue in 40 mile an hour curent its just like hookin a car on the enterstate:smile2:. hopefully my 9000 will get me that record blue.:big_smile::big_smile:

4. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Shakespeare Tidewater reels work good if you don't want to throw very far.

5. getthenet

getthenet New Member

State:
    ohio
    shakespere arsenals ar20 or ar15 i use them have not had a bit of trouble and they cast fine also

6. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    ......penn 310 gt series is a good reel.......under $100, and I would compare it to the 7000.

7. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    I would think your just having a bad experience. Not too many on the board are having many issues at all but as I have always said to each their own. I prefer the Okuma reels myself.

8. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Penn 209...or penn 309...I have never fished the ohio but I hear there monster blues in there so this is my recomendation..the 309 is huge I use it for snaggin and my friends dads got a 124 lb flathead on it...but it is illegal to snag catfish and he couldnt have it as the state record

9. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio

Well man, I like my Abu 10000s so far, but if you are not wanting another Abu then i would say 209s and 309s are a good bet, or the Gti series...a 320, 330, or 345. I like to go overboard with capacity lol....so i would look at the 330 and 345s. My friend James has a 209 and he likes it real well. I like penns, they are workhorses, but they dont cast as friendly as Abu's for a rookie to casters like myself. :cool2: good luck on your next purchase.

10. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Penn 209 or 309 - can pick them up for about half the price of an abu

11. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Is there a big difference between a Penn 309 and 310gti? I'm assuming the gti has a faster retrieve?

12. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    The 309 is the big brother of the 209, and it's line capacity is INSANE. Same price too, $60.00 at BPS.

Like Curtis said, I personally own a 209 tied to a 7ft tiger rod and I can say I will probably own 2 - 3 more of these real soon. The casting is kind of goofy at first, but once you get it down it's all smooth sailin' from there. I just stick to the same size weights and I don't have to worry about much. I went from casting 30 ft to literally casting on the other bank of the GMR at my fishing spot last night. Got bored, tied a lunker line to the weight and launched it over there 4 times - and it's a goooooood distance. The 209 holds plenty of line also.

The 310GTi is a little more flashy and has a quicker retrieve, not too sure about the line capacity though. I did find a 345GTi for sale on Craigslist, and they hold 375 Yds of 50# line. Kind of overkill, but let's just say you'd be well prepared. Your friends will be spooled - but not you! :smile2:
    http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/spo/1281925942.html

My 209 has been exposed to a ton of sand lately, and she still hasn't given me problems. I did land a 16 LB channel on it not too long ago and as I was winching him in, I seriously thought it was something in the 2 - 3 lb range. Even told Curtis this guy isn't doing any fighting. The reel totally winched him in. I love the low gearing!

/ James

13. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio

Thanks for the response. This is just the info I needed. Do you feel that the retrieve rate on the 209 is too slow?

14. feetdown

feetdown New Member

State:
    ohio
    Pflueger Contender GL15....absolutely the best reel I have ever used, great drag..LOUD clicker and will hold alot of line for its size ( the smallest in this particular series)....

15. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I have been using tidewater reels and have gotten great results with them. Recently I decided to get another reel and decided to step up a little so I bought a tidewater 30LA. I love it. It has the same line capacity as the 30L but is heavier built reel with two ball bearings instead of one. Man is it smooth. It is way more worth the small price increase for this reel over the 30L's... It was only about 5 dollars more.

16. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Honestly, when I cast it far - yes it is. This is my only complaint.
    We did a test one time, my buddy launched his 6500 and I launched my Penn in the same location, we both reeled as fast as our hands would allow us, and he had his line back in about 20 seconds before I did.

On the boat, it does great. At medium range, it does great. If you have stamina to do a long reel in from a long cast, it does great.

But at the same time, this low gear ratio gives it brute strength - I'd much rather have cranking power than speed when I hook into a trophy flat or blue. Especially in open waters, which you seem to be on a boat much more than I am.

EDIT: Keep in mind that the Penn series has seen saltwater much more than the Abu Garcia series. Cranking power is needed for huge fish, hence the marlin that they're hooking into. :)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  17. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    NO!!!:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

18. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    they get my vote i love mine and can cast a country mile with them and 30lb test