Can Anyone Recommend a Good Steelhead Rod?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by festus, Oct 14, 2009.

1. festus

festus New Member

I don't intend to fish for steelhead, I just need a good longhandled, light spinning rod about 8' to 10' to cast light and medium lures and baits from shore, 4-10 lb test line. A couple years ago a friend let me borrow his for a weekend and I was really impressed with it. However, since I'm going to be using it from the bank I don't want to sink much money in it. I have seen Okumas online for about $35, a couple of folks in their reviews say the tip is easily broken, but most everyone else really like those. This will be for white bass, crappie, largemouth, smallmouth, trout and maybe light catfishing.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  2. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I got one for about $50 @gander mountain its a shakespeare agility,
    10' 6" rated for 2-8 lb line I've been using it for steelhead for 2 years and it's holding up fine

3. festus

festus New Member

Thanks Jay. I found 2 reviews online for the Agility. One fisherman liked his, and the other said his broke after 3 hours of use. This was the 8' 6" model, however. He said his was brittle, maybe he just got a bad one.

4. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Anything cheap with high % graphite you will find stories of broken ones. Even expensive ones you will find that to some extent too.

5. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    i bought a 9' medium action ugly stick and it casts a mile with 8lb line.

6. festus

festus New Member

That's about the price range I was looking for Nick, about $60-$70. And I have a couple of Ugly Sticks already, other sizes and purposes, of course. How heavy are the baits you are casting with 8 lb. test? 1/4 oz to 1 oz?

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
  8. festus

festus New Member

I sure like the price of that whuppin stick, Brandon. I read the reviews and they sound good also. The only drawback would be the sliding reel seat, but that could be solved with tape.

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yea i think i read somewere were electrical tape is used to hold the seats in place on the slideing seats.

10. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Abu Garcia black maxx rod

11. festus

festus New Member

I checked several sites on the web and can't find a Black Max any longer than 6'6". I need something about 8' to 9'.

12. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I own one that is 7'6" and they have a coil wrap . I cant find them anymore either . I wonder why . I guess I wont be getting more of them ....lol

13. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Umm, I believe that the black maxx is a bass pro shops rod,unless their is two different rods both called the black maxx, I just looked at some 10 footers today for catfishing,they also had a 8 footer or two and I believe it was some 7 footers,might have been 6 1/2 though. I was looking at a 10 foot heavy action that is a nice catfish rod,but at 70 bucks apeice for the 10 footers I passed,the price went down about 10 bucks for every foot shorter,but if I can't get exactly what I want then I'll wait till I can. At least the new series black maxxes have a white tip on them the last foot and a half,the originals were all black and impossibe to see at night unless you added glowsticks or glow tape. My white rods I can watch in the moonlight.maybe they have them in a light action? I don't like the long crappie type rods,they are too flimsey most of the time,or maybe whippy is the right word,when you try to set the hook you have to bend it double to get a hook through a crappies mouth,and if you miss it's a tangled up mess before the rod settles down.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009