Can Anyone Identify This Fish?

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by whiskers77, Oct 17, 2006.

1. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    I went fishing on 10-7-06 at Lake Havasu in Arizona. I was fishing in the evening using white bread and I caught this unknown fish. I was surprised when he came to the surface because I was expecting it to be a carp. I didn't have a scale with me but I'd estimate him at about 5 or 6 lbs. You can see how long he is next to my foot which is a size 11. Since I didn't know what it was I certainly wasn't going to eat it so I captured the photo and quickly got him back into the water. Does anyone know what it is? I've tried to research it by looking at pictures but I came up empty.

Attached Files:

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    man that sure looks like a pirahana to me did it have teeth?

3. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    Pacu

or if your a redneck.....a Pirahna

*******the above post wasn't there when I posted***** ha, bad timing I guess

4. Muddler

Muddler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that it's a pacu, also known as a false piranha or a vegetarian piranha. It's an exotic species from South America.

5. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Its a Pacu. A S. American fish. Someones unwanted aquarium fish. I wish people would get wise and stop dumping non-native fish. :0a6:

6. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    Thanks Greg, That is the first time I've ever caught a Pacu. I've seen them at pet stores before but never expected to catch one at Lake Havusu. The funny thing is that when I caught it I remember thinking that it kinda looked like a Pirahna but I quickly ruled that out.

7. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    it looks like a hickory shad but iv never seen one that big

8. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yep i looked up pacu and sure enuff thats what it was

9. pylodictis

pylodictis New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    i was fishing the monongahela river in pittsburgh this summer and caught one on cut mooneye. it weighed three pounds. i have a pic of it on the pennsylvania rivers talk page in the "caught a pacu/..." thread. it was definitely unexpected. i wonder how many other guys have caught them.

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Pacu thrive in some rivers of Texas and do well in lakes with warm water discharge.

11. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    brandon seen a few of them on fnn from other lake from around here< hope you didnt let it go< it may have been a good idea to report it to the dfg

12. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    Hey Dale, now that I know what it is I wish I hadn't let it go. If I had to do it all over again I think I would have tried to keep it alive and donate it to a pet shop or some place with an aquarium. At the time because I didn't know what kind of fish it was I was afraid it might be some kind of protected fish and didn't want to risk it dieing and ending up in big trouble. So I released him back into the water. Atleast now I feel better educated in case this happens again. On the good side the fish put up a heck of a fight!

13. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    That is a Pacu...cousin to the Purana....When I was in Vegas they had trouble with them in Mead so I'm not surprised.

14. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    Yeah, Mead and Havasu are both part of the Colorado River so it makes sense that if they are in Mead that they would be in Havasu as well. I didn't realize they were having problems with them, it came as a shock to me.

15. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    What did you catch it on:tounge_out:

16. Memphis_Catfish_King

Memphis_Catfish_King New Member

State:
    Memphis,TN
    id have it monted if u still have it...rare catch thats for shure wtg

17. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    my first thought was a piranha, but I guess not, its mouth looks kinda small