Can anyone help?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by Brando, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Brando

Brando New Member

State:
    Louisville, Kentucky
    My grandfather always talked about going down to Western, KY in the springtime for the crappie run. I don't know where in KY he was talking about (KY Lake maybe?). I had planned this spring to take him wherever he wanted to go. I bought all the ultralight rods and reels and 13' poles, about a cases worth of stump jumpers and crappie thunder lures.

Unfortunately, two weeks ago, my grandfather passed away.

He never made it to Western, KY for the crappie run.

I still want to go, however, because he told me that if I ever got a chance that I needed to go. He would tell me stories that his friends told him, and he would tell me that we should make it down there.

What I need is info on where I should go and where I could get a (cheap) guide or boat rental so that I could fish them here in a couple weeks (or whenever the run is, heck, I don't know).

Any crappie help would be appreciated.
    --Brando

2. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Probably talking about Ky. Lake and Lake Barkley. As of last week the Crappie hadn't come in, still out in deep water. The state parks rent boats and have lists of guides, but as to the cost I don't know. I'll see what I can fisnd out and post back here on cost of boat rentals.

3. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
  4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Sorry to hear about your Grandfather Brandon. He probably was talking about Ky. lake or Lake Barkley.....considered by many to be the crappie capital of the world. It wont be too long now and they will be biting good.:big_smile:

5. Brando

Brando New Member

State:
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Thanks for the info so far, fellas. I really appreciate it. If anyone was planning on going down there for the crappie, I'd love some company. I would have very little idea what the heck I'm doing fishing for these things. I've only read every crappie magazine on the rack for about four months, and watched the In-Fisherman dvd's. Oh, and the Wally Marshall (Mr. Crappie) dvd's. I've never actually fished for these suckers. I hope it's not too tough hahaha :eek:oooh:

6. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Sorry to hear about your Grandpa. He was probably talking about KY lake. Blood river is a good area and across from that at Ginger Bay. Hope you have a good time and remember to thank your Grandpa everytime you catch one - I'm sure he will be watching!
    Deb

7. Brando

Brando New Member

State:
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Well, I've got my cabin reserved and I can feel my poles quivering in the garage. I went out on Sunday and landed a nice channel in this neighborhood lake behind the social security office. I don't know if I was allowed to fish there, but the cops come and watch me fish (this has happened several times now) and they don't say anything.

But I figure that I'm all setup. I've got 8 ultralight rods in various lengths, 4 medium light, and 6 medium in case I need to shoot docks (see, I learned that fancy terminology from watching all those crappie videos). I've got bubble bellies, crappie thunders, stump jumpers, husker du's, husker DON'Ts, cherry bombs, screaming mimi's, nipsy daisies (with and without the skeeter stick), and whistling kitty chasers. I've also acquired light-wire hooks, some other assorted tackle and enough camoflauged monofilament to circle the Earth. Twice.

It'll be me, my mom, and my friend Chase all headed down to reek havoc on the papermouths. I just have to make sure not to set hooks like I'm fishing for catfish. I've never personally seen a crappie get flung 50 feet out of the water, but that is certainly what I'm envisioning could happen.