can anyone help me with some boat info?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Montgomery, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i have recently got . a 10 foot sears flatt bottom jon boat.and i cant seem to find any info on it. this is my first boat. i'm trying to find the max load for it . and what size trolling motor. i fish small rivers and deep gravle pits . and other small lakes . depths still unknown to me. i know the river is shallow around here in vandalia ohio. also not sure what size batterie to get . when i do buy a motor. i want decently bright lights for night fishing. in a well lite area. depth finder and motor. and want to be able to stay out 10 hours if i wanted to . with enough power to get home. i am really concerned about to much weight in the boat. i 'm close to 220 or more . pluse gear. i might not have thought it through when i bought it . but it was only 150 . and money's tight . any tips or info would be great.

2. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    A 10 foot Jon boat is kind of a smaller water craft. I am sure you are already aware of that. The max HP motor on those is around 3 HP. The max payload for the 10 foot Jon boat would be around 325-350 lbs.

Your choices of motors for that boat would be one of the following:

1. A 3 HP will be around 20-25 lbs.
    2. An electric trolling motor (of 30-36 lb thrust) weights 10-15 lbs. and a marine deep cycle battery(for a trolling motor) will go around 45-65 lbs.
    3. Oars weigh about 10-15 lbs.

You will have extra gear to go in the boat as well. Fishing stuff, an anchor, oars/paddle, cooler, etc. - minimum weight 20-30 lbs. Don't forget a PFD !

3. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    The money may be tight but a 10 foot boat is a deathtrap with a grown man in it (in my opinion) Be very careful! I's use it in a pondbut that is it.

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
  5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
  6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with Rob this could be a death trap. If you max the weight out to the 300-350# and you catch 60#s of fish, what are you going to do? Turn your hard earned fish loose. Safety is the most important thing. I know you are proud of your first boat. Equip it right and pay close attention to all the elements ( wind, rain and etc.) Fish small waters where you can easily reach bank.

7. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    save up some money and trade it in on a bigger boat or sell it out right next spring when people are more apt to pay for a good boat .
    i agree with every one here it is small and not very safe but in a creek or pond with a small troller you might be alright but i definately wouldnt take it out in current .
    if your fishing alone with batteries and troller and all your gear you will probly be over weight .
    you could just oar around its good excersize , keep a lantern in the boat one battery for fish finder then youve got 220 your weight , 40 battery , 3 lantern , 3 oars , 5 pfd , 20 r&r and gear thats 291 in weight give or take . then you have to worry with an anchor and bait weight .

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I can tell you from experience. I have a Sears 10' jon. 1962 or 65 model I cant remember. I used to be so eat up with fishing I put myself in what I now look back and say was some real stupid situations by putting in lakes on the borderline of being overloaded with boats zipping around everywhere.

I'm a decent captain. I took plenty of waves over the bow, felt the entire boat shake and tremble like it was going to collapse. I had a 1957 Johnson 3 horse on the back and a trolling motor on the front. Swivel seats, carpet , and a tackle box big enough to pack enough clothes to fish all weekend.
    I put it in current one time. I put in one side of a bridge and hauled out on the other. Had I gone any further I wouldnt have got back to the starting point. Thats probally the first real wakeup call I had with that boat.

I still have it. I've fished out of that boat since I was big enough to walk to get in a boat.
    I use it in the farm ponds here. Stability wise you'll most often see me standing in the forward section or on the very front seat sight casting for bass in the ponds or flyfishing for shellcracker and bluegill, alone of course. I no longer use motors on it. They spook fish in a pond. Instead I invested in a good paddle a long time ago. Scrap the oars, too much noise and in the way. Keep in mind, this is twice the jon boat as they make now.
    It's heavy.
    Dad paid 25 bucks for it when Sears opened up in Raleigh at the mall. It came shipped with one of those fancy holes already in the bottom about the size of a pencil eraser.
    Its been dragged in and out of ponds and trucks so much the runners on the bottom of the boat are worn flat and worn through at the back of the boat.
    It's had numerous bullets shot through the hull on those frog gigging expeditions. Dang moccasins love that light and frogs too. When they get in the boat with you you'll fill er full of lead. There aint enough room in a 10 foot jon for 2 frog giggers, a bucket of frogs, and a moccasin.

Keep the boat. It has it's place in the fishing arsenal, just take my word when I say alone it's a darn good boat in alot of situations but with 2 onboard and nearing capacity you can get in more trouble then you'll ever get out of quick if you are having to contend with wakes, wind, or current.

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Keep the boat. You say you are fishing small water. That's perfect for it. I think everyone here thinks you are going to be putting this boat on Truman Lake or the Mississippi river or something.

10. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have a 10' Polar Kraft jon boat that I have been using for pond fishing. It's worked out all right for me if you're really careful about what you try to do in it. I'm going to be selling mine come spring,because I've picked me up a 12'
    Sea Ark jon boat that is wider than the 10' & a lot more stable. I'm really looking forward to this spring so I can get that 12' out! That 10' will work out for you on ponds or small lakes,just be very careful!!
    Glenn

11. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "Got this from tracker site.

Length 10'
    Beam 45"
    Transom Height 15"
    Bottom Width 32"
    Max. Recommended HP 3 HP
    Max. Person Capacity 2 Persons
    Max. Person Weight 314 Lbs.
    Max. Weight Capacity 354 Lbs.
    Hull Material 0.043 5052
    Marine Alloy
    Weight (approx.) 80 Lbs.

Joe"
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Don't let them scare you too bad, I love my little 10 footer.
    You do need to be careful though, they are tippy. If you lean to far or lose balance and water comes over the side you are probably going down.
    Be extra careful about taking out folks who are not familiar with boats this small. Also drinking and this boat is not at all a good mix.
    Balance, low center of gravity and no fast moves are the key. And watch the weather! these are fair weather boats! Aside from the obvious, you would be surprised at the amount of water they will collect in a good hard downpour.

Before you put anything other than yourself in the boat I would suggest that you take her out in shallow water until you are quite comfortable in it. You almost "wear" a craft this small, it will react to ANYTHING you do.

Other Hints would be...
    If you are not using it, tie it to the boat. Rods, cooler, tackle box, wallet in a plastic bag.
    Skip the bright lights unless they are on the other end of the boat from you. B U G S!
    If you are drifting in current or trolling and snag up, release the bail or cut the line immediately! Cost me two rods and one shoe to learn this lesson and the one about strapping everything to the boat.
    Make sure you have as much floatation under the seats and front deck as you can stuff in there.
    Pare down your gear to the bone. Take only what you need for what you are doing that day. As in, don't bring your catfish tackle if you are crappie fishing. The boat will be quite cluttered with just the things you do need.
    Do not climb in the boat or let the kids play in it when it is on the ground. It can pull the rivets through the hull.
    Do take rain gear. If you are caught in a storm you will have to run for the bank and wait it out. I use garbage bags for rain gear to save weight and space. Looks a little silly but beats the dickens out of just standing there and taking it.
    Remember that you are small, low to the water and can be difficult for larger, faster boats to see.
    Be aware of waves and wakes.
    Beach and stretch you legs every now and again.
    Life vest, wear it. Sh*t Happens.

I have taken mine out on the Ohio River but I do not recommend it.

12. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    thank you all for your advise. trust me ,since i am new to boats. i am takeing everything you all say to heart. thank you all a ton.. i'll post if i sink it . lol