Can anyone help me with Flathead fishing?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by mustangboss2, Sep 20, 2005.

1. mustangboss2

mustangboss2 New Member

State:
    Sanford,North C
    I fish at this lake at my house but all i catch are these little catfish.Were would u recomend i cast and bait?

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    First off, you must find out if there are flatheads in that lake. Ask around at the local bait shops or other fishermen there. If so, then start out with the deeper holes with heavy cover. Flatheads will chase baitfish at night in the shallows, so keep that in mind too. A boat and a good fish finder will be a big help in locating flatheads. Good luck.

3. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    fish at night with live bait..........i would use a nice size blue gill or the biggest goldfish u can find at the baitshop.........check em about every hour or so to make sure they are lively

4. okiedragster

okiedragster New Member

State:
    wynnewood ,okla.
    thats true bass, big , lively bait usually yeilds some big cats :thumbsup:

5. lookinfurabiggun

lookinfurabiggun New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I know all of these guys use live bait and it works very well for them, but My best luck has been on shad for the flats. If there is an abundance of it at the lake you fish, then get a net catch some shad and try that out for the big flats. That way you dont have your poles sitting out all night with no bites. If you dont want to catch the small cats, the try putting on a piece of shad to big for them to handle. Also I have found that a good sized shad if used right after you catch it hooked through the back just below the topfin, will stay alive for an hour or so. So if all else fails try a live shad.

6. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    bullheads and suckers work best for me. I also fish during the late night.

7. JimmiMallo

JimmiMallo New Member

I caught my first ever flat tonight! Fishing with 3" goldfish caught an 18" flat. My scale said 4 lbs. but its a cheap scale so who knows. That goldfish was almost too big for the little flat's mouth! How big a bait do you use for the big flats? I have seen them caught where I fish but I always catch smaller fish, mostly blues on my little goldfish. :eek:

8. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    For flatheads i like baits 4 to 12in. I use mostly gills, shad , and crappie for bait.

9. HoosierPoleCat

HoosierPoleCat New Member

State:
    Indiana
    wtg Jimmie now your hooked. As for bait size, well I use 4"-7" gills. I also use cut bait. Both work well just depends on the conditions of the fish. I always say mix it up. Go with what works best for you bud. Good luck.

10. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I joined in here last January or February I believe. Up til that time the largest cats I had ever caught were 3-4 lbs. There was this lake nearby that I swore I hated cause I said there were no fish in it. I have personally seen a 20, 32 (mine) and a 35 caught by a guy who'd gotten a 55 out 2 weeks previous. Yep, you need to check the bait store pics. If they are there, Get yourself the biggest hooks you can find. I started with 6/0 thought they were ridiculous as well as all my friends did too. Now, they are sitting in my tackle box as spares if I run out of 8/0. I like live bait as big as I can find caught out of the lake I am fishing. Spend $20.00 on a cast net at the store and learn how to throw it. 9" bait is perfect. I caught a 6lb channel on a 9" shad last week. If it's in your blood there is nothing like hauling in the biggest cat of your life. Good luck and post a pic when you get her. On a side note, I used to fish from memorial day to labor day. The best months I have found this year are April and May. Haven't found out yet about the fall, but last week I had a significant rise in bites over the summer doldrums, and am completely psyched about October.

Good Luck,
    Shawn Dostie
    Coshocton, Ohio

11. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Sorry, I forgot something. I like shallow flats (3 - 4 feet max) near the channel ( there is a channel through the lake) and near structure (I prefer downed trees. I think they rest under the trees or in the channel depending on temp. and come up to the shallows to feast on the bluegills which currently are hugging the trees.

12. mustangboss2

mustangboss2 New Member

State:
    Sanford,North C
    well thanks for all the help.

13. HoosierPoleCat

HoosierPoleCat New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I usally rig up 2 live & 1 cut bait. But it seems that Flatties here like cut during the daylight & live at night. Just my observations. Just get a pattern that you feel comfortable with & go with it. Hint: keep a log
    Good luck