can anyone help me with a spinning reel that will hold lots of line

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Montgomery, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i dont know how to use a baitcaster. nor do i know the pros or cons of them. but my question is this. we all have been to walmart and seen. thos giaint spinning reels. on the giant rods. but they look so cheap and crappy. can any one help me find a good quality spinning reel. that will alow me to line it close to 300 yds deep. i want to hit big water this year. and big rivers. but i know them big boys can run you out of line fast. any suggestions on a good big spinning reel.

2. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil

3. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Penn makes some really good spinning reels check out their salt water reels.
    You should find what your looking for here.

http://www.pennreels.com/home.htm

4. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
  5. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    how much are looking to spend?
    for less than 100 dollars you can get an okuma, diawa, or tica reel and all of them would have aluminum frames. beware of graphite or plastic reels and spools if you're trophy hunting with one of them your fish of a lifetime just might get away. also what line would you use?

6. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    Shimano 4500 and 6500 series baitrunners are top of the line for heavy duty performance they are right at 100:00 or a little more and have the baitrunner feature too

7. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    The Fin Nor Ahabs(offshore) hold alot of line. The smallest model holds about 400yds of 20lb test. Mr Edwards is correct try to get a reel with an Aluminum or Hybrid frame. The graphite/plastic especially the cheaper ones will flex when battling a large fish........

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have the Okuma Coronado CD90's.Bait feeder.Stainless steel gears,main shaft and bearings.Line capacity of mono.is 500 yds.of 20 lb.line.400 yds.of 25 lb.line.330 yds.of 30 lb.line.Built for offshore saltwater use.The drag and reel are sealed with a rubber gasket to keep out water.Check them out.I love mine.Would do it again today.

Let us know what you buy and how you like it.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Like has been said, the shimano baitrunner, and Okumas are good choices...But you dont need 300yds to go after monster cats...I have caught flatheads up to 50-lbs and I dont remember any runs they made that took over 20yds of line..I fish abu 6500 baitcasters and they hold appx 140 yds of 30-lb mono.

10. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    okuma makes some good choices

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Alvey reels will hold the most line and let you cast farther than any other spinning reel. At one time, they held the world's record for distance casting. They're kind of weird, and they are definitely expensive. The largest model holds something like 800 yards of 20# mono and costs about $200. If I'm not mistaken, you also need a special rod that has the bottom guide considerably further up on the rod than normal. With the huge diameter of the spool that holds so much line and lets you cast so far, the line comes off the spool in very large loops, requiring the bottom guide to be farther away from the reel.

http://www.alveyusa.com/products/surfreels.php

12. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
  13. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Like evrone said, okumas are good. also check cabelas brand. I heard okuma makes them to.

14. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i looked into the okuma's or how ever you spell it . they look good. and for under 100 ,can get it will all stainless steal berings and baitfeeder system. but to answer a few questions. i use alot of braided line. i cant get the feeling of security with mono for some reason. the stretch makes me feel it weakens it . like once a fish stretches it or i get a snag and have to stretch it . ity scares me , not knowing if it needs replaced. i know its in my head. and i prolly miss fish only useing the braided. but i use 20 or 30 pound braid . and my favorite rods so far are . the white shackspear and tiger rods . or was they berkly big game. i think i have 3 different white rods from wal mart. and i have been to a few pay lakes . and the held up great . biggest was 25 . and they all held great. i think for 20 bucks . you cant go wrong with the big game rods. but thanks everyone .

15. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    montgomery,
    how about this. you can get an epixor eb-80 from an online catalog that starts with a "C" for 89.99 and a 300 yd of 20-50lb test of power pro for 25.99 now if you have some mono laying around here's what you do the epixor comes with 2 spools so take the spool with the holes around the skirt and put the braid on now join it with some same lb test mono and top the spool off. now take that spool off and place the other one on and tie the mono onto it and fill that spool. when you finish you'll have perfectly filled reel thats ready for battle. total price would be 120 dollars and i promise you woun't be sorry.

16. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    The Okuma Coronado CD90s use a cris cross line lay so that line will not dig in or bury under a heavy load,a problem with braid,even lays and heavy strain.Some "experts":wink: have spoken about not liking the "Uneven" line lay,having no idea of the great reason for it and why it was built to do such.You can lock their great drag down and pull to your hears content.In fact you have to be careful and not pull the bottom out of the river and let all of the water run out!:wink:

I have had 2 of the Avey reels that Drew talks of for over 20 years.I got them from Cabela's when I first saw them in their catalog.They hold about 500 yards of 12 lb.line and I bought Cabela's "Match" & "Predator" rods for them.I also used them on surf and various spinning rods and they do well on all after you get use to them.They are simple,sturdy,saltwater built and should last a child a lifetime.

17. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have heard good things about the BassPro CatMaxx, and the Okuma Avenger spinning reels. Both can be had in a an 80 series reel. I just ordered 4 Okuma Avenger av80a's. The specs, price, and reveiws all sound good.

18. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    The Okuma Coronado CD90s use a cris cross line lay so that line will not dig in or bury under a heavy load,a problem with braid,even lays and heavy strain.Some "experts":wink: have spoken about not liking the "Uneven" line lay,having no idea of the great reason for it and why it was built to do such.You can lock their great drag down and pull to your hears content.In fact you have to be careful and not pull the bottom out of the river and let all of the water run out!:wink:

I have had 2 of the Avey reels that Drew talks of for over 20 years.I got them from Cabela's when I first saw them in their catalog.They hold about 500 yards of 12 lb.line and I bought Cabela's "Match" & "Predator" rods for them.I also used them on surf and various spinning rods and they do well on all after you get use to them.They are simple,sturdy,saltwater built and should last a child a lifetime.

19. lissaannjon

lissaannjon New Member

State:
    Dubuque, IA
    i believe you hit the nail on the head. i run the avenger abf 50's and love them!! the 65's a great as well but a little to big for my fiance to use easily with smaller hands and she has to be able to run them as well as i do come tourny time. they are great reels!

20. koakley1

koakley1 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Penn 950 ssm. Awsome reel !