Can anybody answer this question??

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by splitshot, Sep 14, 2007.

1. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    No matter where i fish here in northern N.Y. the only time i can catch Channel cat is at night. The only time Ive been able to catch them in the daylight is during the spawn. Know one that i know catches them, or even tries to catch them during the daytime. I know that they are basically a nocturnal feeder, but they catch them down south in the daytime, why not here?? Can anyone ans. this question?

2. darinspawn

darinspawn New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    not sure why this is happening. the channel cat is a day or nite feeder. I find that alot of big ones hit more during the nite but I catch 20#+ fish regularly during the day. mid day tends to be slower (8-15 fish) but they do hit all day.

I fish them on sucker cut or halved, crawlers and golden eye(shad).

are you using a bottom rig (slip sinker) or bait up off bottom rig.

I always use slip sinker on bottom rig.

hope this may help.. Good luck

3. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Yes i always use a bottom rig with a slip sinker, i usually have at least two different baits, cut bait and chicken liver. Next week i plan on doing some drift fishing in my yak in some new areas. Part of the problem may be that we dont have a large catfish population. Im thinking that during the day they are in a different area that im used to fishing.

4. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    I too would like to know of there is an effective way to fish for Channel Cats during the day.

We fish a lake that gets a lot of heavy fishing pressure during the day. I have a hunch that they have learned NOT to eat during the day. Those Channel Cats out here will not bite until dark. I've used every kind of bait I can get my hands on. Same results. We have to be off the water by 9pm so that leaves a VERY small window of opportunity available for us. Only time we have caught them good during the day was early Spring using Nightcrawlers.

We have found that cut Bluegills on a 6/0 Circle hook under a Slip bobber works best. Have caught a MANY under 5lbs., a few under 10lbs and even a couple over 11lb.

Good luck to you.

Tony

5. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i know in lake mead, nv i found that channels don't like to bite as well off the bottem. we started putting sinkers on bottem, and hooks about a ft or so up off the bottem. maybe try that?
    gary

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Try the shallow part where you are fishing early in the morning before the sun comes up.I have the best results in my area in about 2 feet of water. I hit the same spot when the sun goes down, just off the top of the mountains. Hope this helps.

7. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    how deep you fishing?if you have a fishfinder find the depth the baitfish are at and rig up slip floats and fish your baits at that depth,I have been catching all my channels during the day in 12 to 14 ft of water drifting vertically,the fish seem to bite better on windy days and boat traffic doesnt seem to slow the bite any,I use only cut baits chubs,bluegills and shad,hope you get on the fish soon fall is good daytime fishing once the fish are located

8. Catman

Catman New Member

State:
    Randolph, Nebraska
    If you are getting bites but not hooking them, you might want to try smaller bait . Catch a few smaller fish to get your confidence built up then move to a different type of water, faster, slower, deeper. also look for some type of cover. even a small change in bottom contour can be considered cover. channel cat bite in the day time here but today I could not buy a bite. fished the same spot with smaller bait an took 3 smaller cat.

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Steve, I havent had that much sucess at catching channels during the day except in the pre dawn or just after dawn and then again at dusk. I mostly bank fish . Maybe you could try deeper waters ,since you got that new speedboat .:smile2:

10. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    My guess would be that it has to do with water clarity and light penetration. A channel is going to use his sense of smell anytime it gives him the advantage over the prey or competition.

11. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    At Lake Perry (and others) there is a cult of catmen that keep a point known as the "HAWG TROUGH" chummed with soured soybeans. These boys catch channels 24/7 all summer. I have caught quite a few while fishing for other fish (dipping minnows for spawning crappie, or trolling for walleye).
    Go figure.

12. River Hobo

River Hobo New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Well Steve, I went out for 4 hours today in the daytime to test your theory and didn't get one bite. So I'm gonna say you can't catch 'em in PA during the day either :confused2:

13. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Location. They are there, and will bite at any time, but probably aren't out trolling for food during the day. You must locate them by whatever means, and fish right on them. They probably won't go out of their way to get your bait. Find some deeper water with shade, or timber structure, and fish as close to it as possible. I don't know the waters, so that's the only advice I can give.

14. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...I know that they are basically a nocturnal feeder..."

100% NOT TRUE! They feed during all hours of the day or night. Most people catch them at night because their method of fishing suits the time of day and feeding patterns of the fish.

"...but they catch them down south in the daytime, why not here??..."

My guess would be fishing techniques more than anything. Most daytime fish that we catch are caught drifting/trolling and they are not actively feeding like those caught bottom fishing.

15. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Try what works for channels everywhere I have ever fished. I target structure in the daylight. Either wadefish or from a boat, approach the structure quietly with a paddle or trolling motor. The structure I target is stumps or driftwood in shallow water, less than three feet deep.

I like to gently tie off to a stump and then quietly dangle a bait from the tip of my rod into the water against another stump. Notice I said "against" and not "near". In the daylight, the channelcat will seek out the shady side of cover in shallow water, ready to ambush food that swims by. Their head will oftentimes be in or under the rootball of that stump.

Select your rod, reel, and line with care, for they must have the strength and backbone to drag a nice sized catfish out of the stump. Bait is largely dependant on availability, but whatever is natural in that body of water is best. Use what works for you, whether it be worms, prepared commercial bait, or my favorite: cut shad.:embarassed:

16. crappieguy

crappieguy New Member

State:
    Manitoba , Canada
    We catch them up here day or nite, but I'll qualify that by saying the bite definitely gets more intense after 8PM and later.We use the same rigs and shrimp or worms...sometimes liver with a regular worm or shrimp.I like to fish the lakes more than the rivers and find that if there's a long shallow sand bar or beach coming up from the deep and doing a little stink bait chumming that seems to work any time of the day. Hope this helps

17. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Thanks guys, a lot of really good info!! I just recently got my fishing yak so im new to drift fishing. I will be putting your suggestions into action hopefully this week. Cant wait to get on the water. This will be the first time that ive been able to fish from anywhere other than the bank. Again, thanks!!!!! I guess my biggest problem is that ive been fishing the same areas that i would fish at night, now i see why that wont work!! Aint this place great??????

18. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'm not a real big channel cat fisherman, but the ones I do catch are mostly daytime. I specifically fish one river for them, and always targer woody cover. I put the bait as near as I can on the upstream side of the cover.

My guess would be that your fish are holding someplace else during the day - either in some type of cover or in deeper water. If you have a pretty good daytime spot, then I'd start by just gradually working deeper and hope you find them that way.

19. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    Channel cats do bite in the day time. We caught well over 200 channel cats total this past weekend (including under-sized ones). All fish were caught on Danny King's Punch Bait in water 2 feet to 25 feet deep. The key is know where to start fishing and understanding what you see on your sonar. The second item is that if you're not getting bites or catching fish in 15 minutes move. There just aren't many or any actively feeding in that area. Once you find the feeding fish the bite is on. We had 40 keepers on Saturday (5 hours fishing) and a 50 fish limit on Sunday (4 hours fishing).

20. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i think its obvious that yankee catfish wont bite during the day because they are ashamed to be seen by thier southern brothers. jk

keep trying them splitshot. half the fun is investing the time to figure them out.