Can a prop motor be converted to jet drive?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Kittyhunter, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    I have an older ('76 I think) Evinrude 15 and was wondering if any companies offered a conversion kit to change it over to jet drive. I would think it would not be very hard to do, just change the lower unit right? I know you lose HP with a jet but I think it would be worth it to be able to run in shallow water. We deal with that a lot here.

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    No one I know of makes a jet drive for that old of a motor.

I don't even recall a jet drive 15 hp motor of any make.

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    There is a company in California that makes jet drive conversions. I will look at mine tomorrow and post the name if someone soesnt beat me to it. I think the cost of the conversion would be around $1200.00. For that kind of money you should be able to buy a used 40 or so. Look on ebay and for the company put jet outboard in the search function on your computer.

4. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    I didn't pay but $1000 for the whole boat, motor, and trailer. LOL!! I know it's old but it runs like a top, and it's electric start. I wasn't sure if anybody made one for that small of a motor. You would probably only have 9-10 HP after you were done. I've thought about buying a new boat in the next year or 2 anyway, I will probably go with a tunnel hull and jet drive. The river I fish in stays low a lot. I haven't fished in it in about 2 months. There are places right now 6-8 inches but there are some mighty good holes to fish if you can get to them. Usually it's not that low, you may drag or bump in a place or two but not like you have to get out and walk or anything. We haven't had any rain.