Can a Gar cut your line?

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by wylie catter, Jul 30, 2007.

1. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    The other day I had three lines get cut. And I say cut because three diferent times I had what felt and fought like real big fish on and just before I got them to the boat the lines were cut. It was 14 lb cajun red and the knots didn't pull out. They weren't frayed or jagged or burnt looking. They just looked like smooth cuts probably a few inces above the hook. I've never caught a gar, so I don't know if they can do this or not. If it wasn't gar then I just don't know.

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I heard that Gar will cut ur line.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Yes, a gar can cut your line.

4. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    gar have a real sharp gill plate that not only cut lines it will slice open a finger or hand if not careful when handeling them.

5. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    It could have been gar, or it could have been large catfish. Catfish have teeth as well, and with a lighter line like 14lb test if the fish turns is head a couple of times it can do what you had happen. If you didn't see him then I guess we'll never know:wink:

6. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    I have a gars hit my lures and cut the line off.

7. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Generally the fish will Id himself by the activity on the end of the line.. Gar are Natorious Head shakers.. more like sawers.. If you get them to shallow clear water you can see what I am talking about. A Bait and Hook that gets Injested beyond the eye of the hook is in real trouble for obvious reasons.

And again generally: if Ya have a cat that pulls off, breaks off , or cuts off .. the Line or leader in most cases will be slimed.. I think it is the gill rakers or fin Hooks (Barbs) that do the disconection most often as they Roll and wrap so darn Bad. Circle hooks do a good Job of keeping the Line out of their Mouth and away from all them grinders..

One more note.. We Love the Cajin Red line to death, But have found it to be Way..Way to Soft for Leaders. 14 Lb line in the hands of most anyone will land a darn big fish, assuming you have the back bone to keep him free swiming. But we struggled at Carlyle a week or two ago with C- Red and that very problem.
    A quick switch to Stren 12lb XT for leaders and that ended that !

Good thread. Thanks for sharing

R Green
    Duckpoor

8. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i have never had a gar cut my line. i have caught tons of 'em. they can wiggle off the hook easy as pie, but i think ur dealin with some other kinda problem. faulty knots or it just broke u off or something. it cant just bite ur line off. no matter how sharp the teeth are they are not edged like a knife. they are only sharp at the point.

9. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Beings your from SC and going on what info you gave us. If I only had 1 guess my guess would be you are dealing with Bowfin/Mudfish.

Tell you how to deal with these Bad Dude in a few.

10. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    I have landed many large ones here in the swamps of Fl. They are great fish to target for a good fight,I often target them when the cats are not hitting. They will hit even in the middle of the hottest of days when nothing else will.

The set up: I use a Carolina rig. Rigged with a 1 once sinker a 40# steal leader and a 2/0 worm hook.

I use "No Roll" sinkers but any style of sinker will work. I use "Eagle Claw" worm hooks,the ones I use are blue but I don't think hook color matters as long as you use E.C worm hooks. I use black wire leaders I like the 18 in ones but 12 in will work as well.

Hooks: Never use Circle hooks when targetting these fish. They have a hard bone plate in there mouth that keeps a Circle hook from setting most of the time. They will hold on to the bait when you use a Circle hook and just let go of the bait in the middle of a fight. That's way I like to use Worm Hooks,they are longer and give a great hook set that works great on these fish.

Bait: they will hit anything but they can NOT and I repeat they can NOT refuse a chunk of bluegill cut bait. Use a gill about 5 - 6 inches long cut the tail off and cut it in half. Hook it through the eyes once and fish it on bottom.

Hook Up: let him run with it a few seconds,lots of times they will run with it and then drop the bait. Then they will pick it back up in a few seconds,let him run a few seconds and set the hook HARD!

The Battle: Be sure to set your drag at about 40% of line rate before you cast. Any more then that and the large ones will snap a 20# test like nothing. They will make hard & fast runs for a few seconds then stop and run hard & fast again. In-between these runs work the rod and pick up line. Do not try to power him in let him tire himself out with the drag,trying to power him in in most cases he will turn and snap your line. Never let him get to an area with heavy cover or that's IT! and he will head to cover just as fast as he can once you set the hook.

Handling: These Dudes have TEETH and lots of them. LOL NEVER pick one up by lipping him,you can pick them up by the gill flaps but that's about the only way to pick them up by hand. Never net one they will eat your net up in no time. Beware they are mean & strong fish and they will bite anything their teeth can get hold of once landed.

Eating: They are not a good eating fish to most ppl. However some ppl love them,but they have to be cleaned and cooked in a way that's unknown to me. But I'm sure if you wanted to try on someone here could tell you how to cook them.

Ok Now that that's covered. It's time to go Hook Up with those Bad Dudes & have a BLAST!!!

11. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Generally, if its a gar, the line will be frayed by the gar's teeth, not cut as such. The can cut the line, but its the constant rubbing against the teeth and bony mouth that does the job for the most part. A 14 lb test line is not a match for the abrasive teeth and gill plates.

12. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    gars will cut your line. its easy to tell if its a gar ,catfish, or striper on the pole. catfish seem to tap then crash the pole or crash or smack the pole well like the pole is whipping when they hit the pole. a gar seems to hit the bait on the run 90 percent of the time the pole just sets there then the tip goes strait down like it grabs on the run and keeps going.most the time it bites down and runs then all it does is open its mouth and u get the line back but if it missed the bait and has your line in its mouth thts when its teeth cut the line. i hate gar. lol had a 20 pound one almost give me stiches. should have got stiches but i was to hard headed.

13. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)

Gar take bait in all sorts of ways. Some run with it, others sit and munch, you don't even know they are there until you reel in. A few weeks ago, I caught five gar, all over 8 lbs, not a one ran with the bait. Gar do not usually bite through the line, they fray it with their teeth and gill plated, then it snaps, looking like it was cut. Many times, when you think a fish, gar or otherwise brook the line, it had a nck or bad place in it.

14. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    Gar can and will cut your line. When you hook into one they have a tendacy to thrash all over the place and even break water. You can often times tell that it was a gar by feeling the end of the line where it broke. If it is all frayed and knicked up several inches up your line then it was probably a gar.

15. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    around here in the ohio river. when im fishing and im pulling in a fish i can look over and tell u within 10 seconds if i have a catfish,striper,or a GAR on the pole. they all fight differant. 90% of the time i am right. but have been fooled. a 25 pound carp fooled me 2 days ago i caught it on cut shad. thought i had a good cat then this ugly carp came up to the boat. it was crazy.

16. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)

But, a 25 lb fish, now that's beautiful, especiallyif it fought like a catfish.:big_smile:

17. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    yea it was great but dissapointing when u wait to see this big cat and then up pops a carp. lol it was fun but i threw it back so someone else can catch it.