Can a child catch Flathead catfish?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by rockbass, Aug 21, 2006.

1. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I ask this question because I just got somewhat into an arguement with a guy.

There is a place that is fished very hard close to my house. Everybody catches fish there and lots of smaller flatties are caught there. My nephew is as of today 6 yrs old. He has caught either 4 or 5 flatties there this year even though he doesn't fish there with his dad much. I told this guy about how easy they were to catch there and that even 5 yr olds are catching them there.. Well this guy tells me he doesn't believe a 5 yr old has caught that many flatties there and that it is too hard to catch them. He can't believe a kid catches flatties.

Now, in my mind, I think it is easy to catch flatties at this spot. It is easy to get to, and open to cast. There is no one special spot with special cover you have to cast to to get these fish. To me, it is easy to catch flatties there and takes no special skill. He tells me it is not easy to catch them there, and that he can not believe a kid has caught them there. This guy also thinks when he doesn't do good fishing and someone else does that they either cheat or lie about their catch.

so my question to everyone is, Can a Child catch flatties? unassisted other than helping bait the hook and casting it out for them?

My 4 yr old daughter is yet to catch one, but I will fish this area in the fall when the flattie bite even better there. she is a little booger, but still picks up my 8 ft rods and reels them in:smile2:

2. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    sure they can, put them in the right spot with the right bait

3. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    The flatheads dont care how old you are when they are hungry.

4. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Depending if you consider me a kid I have caught 100's. But almost anyone can catch flatheads. But alot of people need help with rigs knots bait and even holding catfish!

Josh

5. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Show him this picture, nephew is 10 years old, caught 4 flatheads this night, this was the biggest - 20# on the button. Other 3 were between 6 and 9.

And oh yeah, he caught all 4 completely by himself, including deciding where to fish. You don't dare try to take his pole from him to help, he knows what he is doing!

Attached Files:

6. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Not when I'm around! can't be having no little Whippersnapper showing Me UP!!! LOL. Of Corse they can and if the Gentelman dosen't believe You thats his PROUBLEM right. I will give you an Example OK.Now My good fishing Buddy George Even though he is 67 He is only as Smart as a 4 year old and he catches Flatheads all the time! So you can tell that Guy he dosen't know what hes talking about. LOL. J.D.Straka

7. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know it is his problem, but it bothers me that a person would say some kid did not catch fish when that kid is proud of them. All because the guy did not personally see the kid catch the fish. He says they are too hard to catch. This guy doesn't catch very many of them even in the places where everyone catch a bunch of them though. says he puts in too much time for a kid to catch them there...........even though my nephew has probably spent a total of 5 hours fishing there this year cmpared to this guys 70 hours or more:big_smile: The way this guy is though, he wants everyone to praise him for every little fish he catches cuz most of the guys he hangs with don't fish with live bait to catch flatties much. So by belittling any fish anyone else catches he makes himself feel better.

He also told me there aren't very many flatties over 20 lbs in the Tusc river because his biggest is only 15 lbs. If he doesn't catch a 20 lber, he doesn't think there are any in there. I have caught 8 or 9 20 or larger and have seen and heard of prob 20 more that size or larger......all within a small 10 mile stretch of each other

8. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here's a pic of my daughter. This is her biggest flattie to date a 3lber. She only uses nightcrawlers cause she says she's not ready for the bigger ones. lol This was only her 3rd one this year. I keep trying to talk her into using bigger bait but so far she says no. Only thing i do for her is tie hooks and sinkers on, she does the rest.

Attached Files:

9. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    It's not the easiest fish to catch, but it can be done. When I was little I used to catch carp bymyself...bait the hook, cast, set the hook and reel in. A kid just needs to know the basics.

10. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know they are not the easiest to find, but the place I am talking about, is full of them and tond of small ones are caught there all the time.

From the looks of things, I am seeing that this guy just needs to pad his ego by saying kids don't catch flatties and that they are too hard for a kid to catch. I have said all along that all he does is use live bait and wait for a bite, and that a kid can do the same thing, but he still says no a kid can't do it:lol:

11. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Sounds to me like he is a guy I wouldnt bother talking to very much :confused2:

There are buttheads in every size, shape, form and color... Don't waste your time being around em or trying to convince them of anything and you'll have a better life .. They usually aint worth the effort imho ....

12. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    yes its more than possible.....

13. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Here is a simple solution to shut this Jack #** up, have him take a kid fishing!!

Of course, it sounds like he is so much of an A##, there aren't many kids who would want to fish with him. I would venture to guess he is single, and has no kids of his own as well. Just a shot in the dark!:roll_eyes:

14. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Married and has 3 of his own kids.......just doesn't really take them fishing much and when they do go, he fishes not them. He is probably worried they would show him up......since he was so down onmy nephew saying he never caught his fish.

Some people are just helpless

15. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Now that guy must not have any kids, because normally the kids love to catch bigger fish, they seem to light up even more when they know that theres a big one on the other end on their line. So sure, KIDS CAN CATCH FLATTIES and Blues

16. BigGreen

BigGreen New Member

State:
    IL
    My buddies kid caught a real nice flattie this year, he is 6. He had no problems, the drag was set right and he just reeled er in.

17. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Why does that not suprise me, I don't know this guy, so I am not going to bash him or say anything bad about him, but anyone who takes their kids fishing and does not let them fish..........I have no use for such a man myself!:angry:

Maybe the reason he does not catch anything, or much of anything is the Fishing Gods throwing some Karma at him!:lol:

18. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Soon as I get home my 7 year old neice is going to catch a few nice ones. I remember pulling in a 10-15 pound snapper when i was 7-8 years old and dad saying to get the gun.

19. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Newalla, Oklahoma (Shawnee)
    Hey Rocky, sounds like he is a moron. Just smile next time you talk to him and think about all those kids that have caught Flatties and he can't. Sad about his kids though.