Campsite with just out of the tent fishing

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by boombalaty, Jul 6, 2009.

1. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Can any one reccomend a lake near Gardner that has campsites right on the lake? I would like to take the fam out camping/fishing this weekend but I gotta be close to the tent at night cause the little man dont make it very late. I was thinkin like hillsdale, melvern, pomona, I dunno. Thanks guys.

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I dont know if there are sites on the water at the Sundance Campgrounds at Melvern, but I do know they are free.:wink:
    Cant beat that.:smile2:

3. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Matt, Melvern Turkey Point campground has camping like that. You can set up your tent dang near in the water. But there is also Leavenworth State Lake has a couple of camp spots right on the water, Osage State Lake also has it like that. Also, Miami State Fishing Lake. Just check the KDWP website, it tells you where all these SFL's are at, how big they are, what they are stocked with and so on. If you need any other help just shout.

4. dolphinswmmr

dolphinswmmr New Member

State:
    kansas
    I would recommend Leavenworth State fishing lake. It has campsites right by the water and it is free. Good little lake for fishing. We have never walked away empty handed. At least my hubby hasn't :wink:. There are only 3 sites that you can actually set up a tent. It is the first right after you enter the park. They do not provide any trash service so you have to take your trash with you. It is out by Tonganoxie.

5. Charlie365

Charlie365 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Although it's only recently reopened which means probably not as many bigger fish, Douglas County State Fishing Lake (by Baldwin City) is good for camping although good, lakeside spots are limited.

MiddleCreek is also nice, but there are only about half a dozen spots total I believe.

You can see maps and other info on these at
    http://kdwp.state.ks.us/news/Fishin...nsas/Fishing-Locations-Public-Waters/Region-2

SFL's are nice, no pleasure boaters, lake lice, etc. but you should note the fishing bag limits are pretty small, only 2 catfish mostly.

6. flat fighter

flat fighter New Member

State:
    kansas
    Middle creek is great if you have little ones with you. I used to spend alot of time out there. It has 8 camping spots on the north side of the lake all primitive but there are bathrooms and the south side has about 5 spots.The north side would be better for you probably it is grass and has picnic tables and the lake is within 100 ft of the campgrounds. It is about 30 min from gardner. just make sure your legal the ranger that patrols that area on the weekends is real strict. I am pretty sure he sleeps with the regulations book!!:smile2::smile2:

7. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for all your input guys! Ill do some checkin on kdwp and pick a spot.

8. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I was going to say try a SFL too. Camping is free and the one I've been to you can camp wherever you want. There aren't any designated areas where you have to camp. I'm not sure about the one that would be the closest to you though.

9. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Well we are heading out to middle creek sometime tomorrow evening. Do any of you guys have any tips for bank fishing there and/or where to catch bait there? The wife and I are really excited to fish some new water!:wink:

10. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Never heard of it so I cant help ya, but good luck.:wink:

11. LBM

LBM New Member

State:
    Prairie Village, Kansas
    I've caught some of my bait there around the ramp on the shore at the edge of the weeds. I catch all my bait down there right on the shore line under a bobber set anywhere from inches down to 18 inches at the most. There are good water willow weeds all round the shore line and just out in front of the willows is good for catching bait fish. Down on the dam along the rocks is good. People fish from shore by the water intake on the northwest corner of the lake on the north end of the dam. My usual spot to catch bait is on the south end of the dam between the outlet and the corner on the south end of the dam on shore line on the rocks. I'm always fishing from a boat but one can drive to the water intake on the north edge of the dam and walk down the dam. I have the best luck using a tiny hook with just a piece of worm less than 1/8th of and inch long. Most of the time I've got all the bait I'll be needing in a minnow bucket before using one worm up.

Just north of the ramp is a fish feeder that folks fish from the shore.

Here is the hooks I use to catch my bait with and the hooks I use for the cats.
    [​IMG]

Good luck out there.