Camping Stove

Discussion in 'Camping Talk' started by LiquidSteel, Jan 8, 2007.

1. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    So whats your favorite camping stove, and whats your worst? Ive been out shopping and looking. Coleman makes a nice one, and at Pro Bass Shops and Cabelas they got nice and expensive ones. Im know I dont want the liguid fueld, propane for sure. Ive got a small charcoal grill I use, but it is getting rather and worn out.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have two both coleman. one is the trusty green one than is aged but, works like a champ and the other is a stainless steel model the wife came home with.

3. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Still have the coleman 2 burner from way back, I even have a coleman
    1 burner that I used to use in my ole boat.

I have made and modified many cooking/barbeque things over the years.... My buddy bought me a porpane bottle one 3 years back, and I use it for cooking bacon and grease fish frying ouside the rv on the camp tables....

If you go with the coleman, do yourself a favor, and put alum foil on the bottom to reflect the heat some, but best for the spills and all that will happen....
    I like the one burner drop in the cartridge one myself... bring extra bottles though.

You have to have that it easy for the g-friend or misses.... when your out fishing and they are not, but more heat from the coleman type

bayrunner ray

4. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have 2 stoves a cheapo no name and a coleman both work fine there's not too much that can go wrong with them so I wouldnt spend a rediculos amount of money on one. I also have a 20 dollar mini propane barbbq grill its awsome I use it alot.

5. jsk30

jsk30 New Member

State:
    NC
    I have used coleman stoves for years. They have never let me down.

6. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I bought a 2 burner colman propane at a yard sell about 10 years ago. Works great. Cost me $7.00. She wanted $10.00:wink: I also have a lil cheap $20.00 propane barbbqe like PeZ was talking about. It's great. Been useing it for years. Love it:wink:

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I've got several coleman's, including and old three burner I inherited from my dad. While propane is easier, the liquid fuel burns hotter, better at altitude too. Its just messy to deal with.

8. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I've got 2 - 2 burner coleman stove. I run them off a 20# propane bottle. I made a oven that fits over both burners on one stove. I had a single burner coleman but it die.

9. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I saw a man get badly burned in an accident involving liquid fuel and a Coleman stove...something not easily forgotten, so I lean to propane.

I don't cook much when I camp, other than over the fire, so I get along just fine with a single burner.

My little single burner, propane fired Coleman has a 10,000 btu burner. I'm not a patient man when on the wrong side of my first cup of the morning.:big_smile:

10. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    I have used a coleman white gas model for along time and had one start leaking around the plunger seal and it made breakfast a little exciting, thats when I switched to a propane style, both work great.

11. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I prefer the dual fuel gas model stoves and lanterns, but Tammy like the propane models. A couple years ago I got her a Brinkman stainless steel propane stove, she really likes it. The stove works great, looks good and is very easy to clean up.

12. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Both types of stoves have the potential for an accident if they are used in a state of disrepair. So as far as safety I don't see much difference. Both types of fuel are dangerous if mishandled.

13. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    I'd never used a camp stove until I bought one last year. Something about cooking over a campfire just appealed to me. Wet firewood on occaision made me realize that I needed a "plan B". I appraoched buying a campstove the with the same criteria that I use when buying any piece of camping equipment; simpler is usually better, and name brands get their name for a reason. For propane ("and propane accessories", as Hank Hill would say) Coleman is the name, and their tried and true two, burner stove is as simple as they come. I expect many years of service from it.

Jon

14. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    If I was buying a camping stove it would definitely be a Coleman propane,either a 2 or 3 burner. Don't mess around with those small disposable propane bottles either,get you a 20# tank and you'll be set to go. Those little disposable bottles don't last very long,and can get quite expensive. You'll go through a lot of those small ones before you have to worry about having your 20# tank refilled. The most important thing to remember is safety,be very careful!
    Glenn

15. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Of course, then there is the low-tech approach. A friend made several alcohol burning stoves out of aluminum beer cans. Getting the materials is the best part.:big_smile: :big_smile: The things work well and cost nothing if you don't consider the cost of the beer. Teetotalers could use soda cans.

16. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Well, I got me a Coleman dual burner. A good freind of mine had one in his garage, and he told me for $15 and a six pack of barley pops I could have it. So, I went over with said beverages and cash. This stove is brand new. My buddy tells me he used it three times and bought his family a fifth wheel trailer.
    Thanks to all of you for the advice, and I can always use more of it!

Kenny

17. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    I have a two burner coleman stove.(liquid fuel) That we cook on at camp. I'll make my coffee at night and pour it in my thermos so when I wake up its ready to drink. I'm to lazy make coffee when I first wake up.LOL

18. joecatfish

joecatfish New Member

State:
    TX
    Optima Hunter's stove. and home-made pop-can alcohol (cat) stoves are all I use.

19. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    I have a single-burner, generic butane stove. The cartridges are about the size of a paint spray can, so each holds about enough fuel to cook a simple dinner for two.

What is nice about it is that you can use it on the table on those days that Mother Nature decides she doesn't like high tension lines. :smile2:

-- Rich

20. Muddler

Muddler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    We have a Coleman propane two-burner that we've been using for years. We even used it inside from August to about Christmas after my son set the kitchen on fire. I bought a brand-new, off-brand one burner propane stove for $1.50 at a thrift store. I also have 3 propane lanterns that I picked up at yard sales--the most expensive one was $2 and it was brand new.
    I had a bunch of white gas lanterns that I enjoyed screwing around with, but when I moved to Virginia, the movers wouldn't take them. So, I'm a propane guy now.