camping sites

Discussion in 'Capt Steve's RV and Camping Talk' started by ole whiskers, Aug 3, 2008.

1. ole whiskers

ole whiskers Guest

What are some of the best sites you have visited. Thinking about getting a camper and would like to try out a few member recomended sites as I travel around.

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Can't really say just why, but I like the TVA campground at Pickwick better than any other I've stayed at so far. It's all well shaded, and is well patrolled for safety. Not right on the water, but it's only a hundred yards or so away from the ramp, with good catfish bankfishing just downstream from the ramp, and good skipjack bankfishing spots a 5 minute walk upstream.

3. jimmy willaby

jimmy willaby New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    1. MAGAZINE MOUNTAIN STATE PARK , ARKANSAS
    2 COOPER LAKE STATE PARK , TEXAS
    3 BLUE MOUNTAIN PARK , ARKANSAS, THAT IS WHERE MY AVITAR PICTURE WAS TAKEN. :0a26:

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Actually, I'd have to say that some of my most memorable camping spots weren't even in a campground...just a good flat spot where I wanted to spend some time, either while traveling, fishing, or hunting. Incidentally, if you plan on traveling, get online and check out free overnight 'camping' spots. For instance, many large grocery stores and shopping malls will allow you to stay overnight so long as you park way out at the outer edge of their lot. When using our camper to travel between Montana and Arkansas, we used to stay in such places all the time. If you do stay in such a place, be nice and try to do some shopping there, if they sell anything you can use.

5. Marcos

Marcos New Member

State:
    Texas
    I frequent these Texas parks:
    Garner State Park On the "Frio River" cold crystal clear water
    Chalk Bluff on the Nueces River Not so cold Crystal clear water
    Mustang Island state Park On the Beach

These are all within a few hours from my home. I haven't ventured to much further out. haven't really needed to.

Attached Files:

6. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've made several of those listed in TX, AR and lots of state parks in TX and NM. Lived for a few years not far from Blue Mountain Lake, AR.

But back years ago when we camped our favorite was Williams Creek Reservoir, located north of Pagosa Springs, Colorado. It was 23 miles of rough dirt road and some of it steep but it was nice when you finally got there. It's a USDA Forest Service lake, 8300 ft elevation and kept stocked with kokanee salmon and trout. We could catch our limit trolling about any time.

Camp sites had no electricity or water. Lake was restricted to wake-free boating, no water toys or water skiing. No boat ramps.

We had a pop up tent trailer, I carried this 14 ft semi-V on top of the camper and a 15 HP motor in the car or pickup. Had a set of wheels mounted on the boat. I could push it down to the water from the campsite.

We lived in TX back then and it was a good days drive to Williams Creek. We usually spent a couple weeks there.