Camping on the Kazoo

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by Sparky Larson, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Here is a bit of information, I gather up from the DNR. I have been in contact with them to see about camping on the State land down stream of the Allegan dam. I was told that you can not camp that state land from May 1, through Labor Day week-end. The reason that was given was they want people to use the camp grounds in the local area!
    I asked if it was possible to get special permission for a BOC group to camp for 3 or4 days, for an outting. He checked into it, and got back with me, with a no go answer. He said if you wanted to stay up and fish all night that was ok.
    If anybody is interested, there are three camp grounds in the Allegan dam area one is about two miles from the dam, and the other two appear to be 3 & 5 miles away.
    Is anyone interested in a May outting, or are there any votes for the maple, or anywhere else for that matter.
    After catching a few cats the other day, my blood is boiling!
    What do you say we through some places and dates around.
    Sparky

2. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    i'm definately ready for a get together. don't really care where. would like to try the k-zoo. i have heard that the area around the new richmond bridge is good for cats, and contains some state land. maybe far enough from the local campgrounds so we can camp? guess that is Jim's area, so he may know. my favorite spots here around GR all are non-camping areas, but all- night fishing is not a problem, in most of the spots.

lets hear from the rest of you guys......what are your opinions, and/or suggestions?

3. jross1901

jross1901 New Member

State:
    IL
    the new richmond are is 8 miles from my house.i've tried by the boat launch and caught some small channels last year, no flats. there is limited bank access.
    i haven't had time to check on campgrounds but i'll get on that. sparky may have it covered though.
    its probably 10 miles from new richmond to the allegan dam.
    if we fish the k-zoo from the bank, the dam is probably the best option. and down at the boat launch/bridge off M-89.
    however, that area has been really flooded. might be fishable my then.
    i'm ready for some catfishing. what dates are open for everyone. haven't catfished yet this year.
    i'm open to the grand too, really want to catch a flat or two.those are prolly the best opportunity to do so.

oh yeah, nice job on those channels sparky, that story got me motivated for some fishing.

until then
    -jim

4. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    From what I understand, the DNR patrol the state land around the Kazoo pretty well, so I don't know if we want to take that chance. Of course we know they patrol the river don't we Jim & Sal.
    By the way Sal, does your new boat have floatation devices? LOL
    Sparky