Camping Ideas

Discussion in 'Camping Talk' started by fish, Sep 23, 2006.

1. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    We thought it would be neat if we could all share some of our camping secrets and ideas with each other. Judy and I have been looking into buying a dutch oven to use when we go camping. Bam had one at the National gathering and made apple cobbler and blackberry cobbler and it was soooooo good. He showed us how to cook with one and that was really sharp.

We have been looking at ways to season a new one. Do any of you have a certain way you season one? Could some of you post some of your recipes for a dutch oven and any other camping recipes.

If anyone has any camping secrets please share them with all of us.

Here is a neat way to have a camp fire, it is called a cowboy candle. You take a stick of wood and cut slots down and and stop before cutting all the way through. Pour some BarBQ starter down in the log and fire it up. You can have a neat fire with a hollow log also. The fire will shoot out the top of the hollow part.

Attached Files:

2. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    i like this thread a lot. im excited to see what people post!

3. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Jim if you plan to purchase a NEW Dutch oven consider buying one of the aluminum dutch ovens. They are so much lighter than the cast iron ones and when hauling all the stuff you don't really need when going on a camping trip the less weight helps a lot.

I hope to buy one of the aluminum dutch ovens someday but until then I'll just keep using one of ones I have in cast iron.

When I go to yard sales I buy every piece of cast iron I can at a reasonable price. Some folks want more for a used piece than I can purchase it for new price.

Always buy your cooking pots bigger than you think you need. You don't have to fill it up to cook with it and you can always add water to the soup if extra people show up. :wink:

Jesse

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Whatcha doing Jim. Learning to fend for yourself cause judy is finally gonna throw you out on your ear.:lol: :lol:

5. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    We swear by them Dutch ovens and ours are all over 160 years old and still work GREAT. Make sure you cure them good though.
    Actually I did just buy one from LODGE that's pretty good but I have to field tet er' yet though!

6. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Very neat ., thanks .

7. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Jesse, I didn't know they made aluminum dutch ovens. After seeing some of the great things you have bought at yard sales, you have inspired me to go to some of them to see what all they may have.

Bubba, she couldn't get rid of me that easy.hehehe

Buddah, man I know you are proud of those dutch ovens that you have, I know I would be. Talk about being well seasoned, after 160 years that must be perfect. You have a gold mind there. Lodge Mfg is just down the road from us and we are going down there here soon and check out their outlet store.

Harbor Freight sells some dutch ovens also but I don't know how good they would be. We want one just like Bam's, I think his is a 12 inchX 5 inch and talk about some fine cobbler.

Thanks fellows for your input, we appreciate it.

8. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Jim, I watch a show on RFD-TV called Campfire Cafe and the guy does all of his cooking in cast iron dutch ovens or cast iron skillets over an open fire. He also has a recipe book out for using them. I'll watch for it and get you the address. He makes everything from biscuits, cobblers, stews, roast, briskets, you name it, he make it, all over an open fire. Neat show.

9. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Chuck, do you know what day it comes on? I would love to watch that. Pete was telling me about that same guy.

10. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Jim Donna does a lot of cooking in a dutch oven and old cast iron skillets when we camp. Next time we go I'll get her to show you some of it.

11. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    If we camped more that would be a great idea.

Can ya cook slim fast in it?? LMAO

12. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    The show comes on at 4:00 p.m. on Sunday. I sent Jim a pm but in case any of you other guys are interested. Might get to see parts of it during the NASCAR commercials.

13. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn

That is a good show.
    It also comes on in the evening some times. That is when I catch it most weekdays.
    Man he sure cooks up some fine grub in the dutch ovens on there.
    Pete

PS Jim its on Channel 9409 tomorrow would be 5 pm for you I think.

14. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Jim make sure when you purchase a Dutch Oven that it is a Dutch Oven. Even Lodge puts Dutch Oven on their Stew Pots boxes.

A TRUE DUTCH OVEN has the 3 little feet and a flat lid with a raised edge to keep the coals from falling off.

The STEW POTS have no feet and they have a domed lid. You can take the domed lid from the stew pot and cook steaks or stir fry on it by turning the lid upside down over coals.

I prefer a 14" Dutch Oven it's great for family cooking. To me the 12" is just a bit small. i do have 4"; 6"; 8"; 10"; 12"; 14", and one that I can put the 14" in and close the lid on it. I found this old dutch oven and the bottom was rusted out and no lid for it at a yard sale. I took it to work and cut a plate to cover the inside botttom of the pot then filled the edges until bottom was smooth. At that time we had a foundry and I got permission to have a copy cast. Some of the big wheels at the plant were suppose to get a copy too but mine was the only one cast before the foundry was closed. This thing weighs close to 70 lbs empty (the fella that cast it for me made the bottom of the pot tripple thick said he wanted to make sure it never cracked) and is close to 20" across and about 6" or 7" deep. I made a lid from 3/4" thick aluminum then took another piece and made the ring for the outer edge. I then machined the lid to fit the pot then machined the top of the lid flat except the outer edge which is angled on the inside and fluch on the edge to match the outside of the pot. Then made the handle extra large because of the pots size. This pot will hold 5 gallons. I've never seen another dutch oven this big. I have heard of a 20".

Jesse

15. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Here's another thought for camp site. Do you know the shape of a shepard's staff? It has a straight shaft then towards the top it looks like a question mark. We made these from aluminum elecrtical conduit with the ? large enough for our coleman lanterns to hang inside the ?curve. Then all you have to do is hammer a stake into the ground that is small enough for the conduit to slide over. We would place out lanterns out past the outer edge of out camp site and the mosquitoes went to them instead of us and we still had plenty of light.

Jesse

16. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Bubba, If Donna is doing some cooking in them I know it has to be good, she really knows how to cook some might fine food. I hope she will show us how she uses them.

Chuck, thanks for the heads up, I will be watching for that program. Griz PMed me a link to his website and I am going to check it out here in a little while. I appreciate it Griz.

Pete, you may be right, it may be on here at five since we are in EST.

Jesse, that is one heck of a DO. Buddy, when you do something it is done right to say the least. I have never heard of one that big before. It sure would take a lot of charcoal to cook in that bad boy. There is no telling what one like that would cost if you could even find one similar.

17. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I love the camping stuff old school style. A little convenience is nice and the older I get the more I like lol. I like fans , ac etc now days. LMAO.
    One thing for me that will never ever get old , that be a good campfire. I start one everynight in winter time at my house
    You aint camping unless you got a good smelling camp fire and your dont need fuel to start it. Hollow logs are the best. Man I wish I had some pic's and could tell some stories. Love a camp fire and old school stuff.
    I want camp without one. Dont care if it's 110 outside. There will be a camp fire going at my camp if I be camping. Lake water swimming at night makes a fire feel good.

Dang everybody needs a boyscout camp fire. LOL.

I'll try to get back to this thread for some old camping fun.

If nothing else, I'll just read.

18. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I hear you Dano,nothin like a good campfire. ahh I can smell it now.smokey

19. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    A couple of camp ideas;

1. small can of kerosine
    roll of toilet paper
    drink or beer cans
    can opener
    For light and bug control take an aluminum soda or beer can and cut out the top. I use a little P38 military can opener but a pocket knife will do if you are careful. Take a roll of toilet paper and wind the paper around your hand 9 or 10 times. Pull of the paper and insert it into the open top can. pull up the paper to form a wick. Fill the can to within 1 inch of the top with regular kerosine, fuel oil, or diesel fuel (WARNING---DO NOT USE GASOLINE, WHITE GAS OR STOVE FUEL!!!). Light carefully. It will burn with a flickering slightly smokey flame for 3 to 4 hours. You can refill the torches as the wick will not burn unless they run out of kero. Just put something over the torch to extinguish it and once it cools refill it. Just to be safe pour your kero in a cup or another can and refill the torch from that. We used to put a ring of them around our camp site or bank fishing area to keep away flying bugs and give light.

2. gallon zip lock bags
    large pot to boil water
    eggs
    fixings (ham, cheese, mushrooms, peppers, ect)
    camp stove or cooking fire
    To make killer camp omlets with no mess put your raw eggs, minus the shell, into a large ziplock bag. Seal the bag and work the bag back and forth to scramble the contents. Add you favorite fixings. Add anything that you would put into an omlet like cheese, mushrooms, peppers, diced ham ect. directly into the bag with your kneaded raw eggs. In the mean time set a large pot on the fire or the camp stove about 1/2 full of water. When it comes to a boil drop your camp omlet bags into the boiling water. Your only job is to make sure the bag does not stick to the side of the pot. The omlet will set up inside the bag and cook to perfection. Dump out on a paper plate or just eat from the bag. In a pinch I have found even a fork is not a necessity. You can peal the bag back and eat it like a breakfast omlet "taco."
    This is a big hit with kids. You can pre cut your fixings and bag them seperate at home. Just store in a cooler on ice. The eggs can be shelled and put into bags at home as well. I have found that bags of frozen eggs work great and taste identical to fresh ones.

20. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    That is avery good idea and looks great,