Camping Equipment

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Doyle, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I been thinking a bout getting a tent to use at some of "get togeathers" but I have not been camping in 50 years. These new tents are cheap enought, but do they work. The big problem I remember is the rains. I always rained when I went camping. Water came in the seams, water come up on the ground.

What are some of the better tents these days. Me, my wife, some storage and two small dogs will be using it. Give me some opinions.
    Thanks

2. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    a small pop-up camper would make the dogs happier cause theyd have a foam mattress to lay on. just a suggestion.

3. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I Use A Spray On Water Proofer From Walmart In The Spring On My First Trip Out. Havn't Had One To Leak Yet. Usually Set Up One For Sleeping And Put The Blow Up Mattress In It Then One For Storage Then Another For My Portapotie. I Use One Of The Bed Side Potty Chairs For Comfort And Carry It Far From Camp To Empty.
    I Have A Stack Of Tents I Haven't Used In Years. Now Days I Go To A Hotel On The Lake Or Just Drive Back And Forth. Like Sleeping In My Bed. Last Time We Camped It Went To 27 And The Mattress Was 27 Below.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have a small 2 person tent i got at wallyworld for about $15 on clearance. i sat through on hell of a thunderstorm in it one night along the river and it only let a few drops come through at the seams. afterwards i bought a couple cans of that spray on waterproofer and coated the whole thing. even the cheap wally-world tents are really good nowdays, and are a snap to set up.

5. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    Doyle, these new tents are great. if you, like I, remember the canvas jobs, there is simply no comparison. they go up in a couple of minutes, and my wife and i take our full size german shepherd and he sleeps in it too (the wifes idea:blink: )

just spend a dollar or two more and get one that is one or 2 sizes bigger than you think you'll need. and they shed water in a rainstorm too.

mine was fine 'til i got married, and now i am going to buy one a little bigger.

6. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    If you expect A LOT of rain, put a tarp or a Quickshade up over your tent, and a ground tarp underneath. As long as you don't pitch your tent in a low lying area, you should be good and dry.

7. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    Most tents you buy now-a-days come with a tube of seam sealer packed inside. Set your tent up and USE the sealer. You will then be good to go for a while (depending upon the frequency of use). I set mine up each spring and go over all the seams again just to make sure.

Nothing ruins your night like trying to sleep in a couple inches of water.

I now have a tent big enough that I can put the queensize mattress (and bed frame) my coolers, food and everything else we carry inside. Its a biggun and still too small -------- heed the advice about buying one that is a couple sizes bigger than you think you will need.

8. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I agree on the big Tent

I used to have a small 2 man (was really more like a 3 man) pop up tent. Loved it!... Hadn't used it in some time. Wife decides we should go camping with our little one and Dog (105# PitBull)... Needless to say, we were elbows to @#$#@ in that thing...
    My Dog was on high alert that night. Sound of the woods in the pitch black in a unfamiliar surrounding had him a bit tweeked I guess hehe
    At about 2:30 -3am, Somebodys Cat decides to walk through the middle of our campsite, right in front of our Tent... My dog Freaked out. Waking up to barking and the tent shaking like its in Hurricane force winds from him headbutting the screen door is not very fun and a 2 man Pop tent vs a 105# dog is not a very fair fight.. Needless to say, that was our last camping trip in a small tent..

9. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i love tent camping but 25 yrs of steel fabrication has crippled me. i just cant sleep on the ground anymore. the solution to this problem was a cabelas big cot. i havent had trouble with the tent leaking . like others have said just get some waterproofing spray and spray your tent at the begining of the seasonand you should do fine. just a note on air beds. my wife and i tried 3 different brands and were unhappy with all 3. we both rolled toward the middle which made sleeping crowded. also makes it hard to get out of bed. one other thing we noticed is that as the night air cooled so did the air beds which makes the air insid contract and compounded the problem of getting out of bed

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Call ahead about dogs.Some places do not allow pets and rules sometime change since you last used the campground.Be careful and think ahead.Southern woods,riverside and sandbar camping is very dangerous for dogs.Snakes are abundant and dogs do and will vanish because of Gaters,Coyotes,Bobcats and even Racoons will kill and eat a small dog.Most kills are sudden and quiet.Gaters and Coyote packs will take a large dog.Gaters are sudden.They can take a dog while you are walking it on a chain.You may hold on and get your dog back,but it is allready dead or maimed.Be careful and don;t get your heart broke.peewee-williams

11. Darrell

Darrell New Member

State:
    Illinois
    When I was looking for a tent to buy I ran across a fella who offered some great advise. Make sure you verify that the tent you want is fire resistant. I paid a little extra for the flame resistant material but it was worth it. I actually witnessed a buddies tent go up like a pine tree when wind blew camp fire sinders on it. By the way flame resistant sleeping bags are also a good idea!

Good camping,

Darrell

12. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks a lot, good information. I thought the blow up air mattress would be good....but they are not perfect huh? Camper would be nice, but I would want to take my boat. I seen people pulling both but I sure wouldn't try it. I'm not sure it is even legal. The tent with out windows in Cabelas... Alaskan Guide Model caught my eye. Twice as expensive thou. I wonder how hard to assembly.The windows in a lot of tents look like they would let water in.

13. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I bought my tent at Bass Pro shops. It's a BPS brand 4 room...20'x16' monster....that's ridiculously simple to set up.

We can fit 3 queen sized air mattresses inside it...and still have room for 3 huge coolers...a table with six chairs...and even a 6' plus tall man can stand up in the center room without rubbing the roof.

I...WE...love it. My wife...myself...and our five kids all fit inside with plenty of room to spare for the 95 lb Labrador...and a couple of sleepover friends of my kids....as well as all our gear.

The tent costs $200...and we use the hell out of it! Hasn't leaked yet either. (I said YET! Lol)

14. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Maybe I should think about a big tent. I would love a small camper but would have to leave the boat behind. Do many fisherman use tents or do most pull their boats with a camper.

some good info here.

Danny

15. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    I neglected to say in an earlier post that since I don't like sleeping cold, I put my sleeping bags on top of my air mattress. I do use a tent because I want to take my boat when I go.

16. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    May I suggest a free standing tent and fly.You can camp with or without tent pegs.This means that you can camp where tent pegs are useless.You can pitch your tent on a rock,platforms in the swamp,soft sands of the beaches and desert,even a parking lot.Carry the LARGE Ziploc type bags with you to hold your tent down when you are not in it.You fill them up with rocks,sand ect.and place them around the inside of your tent.Be sure to fill enough to hold it down in the sudden thunderstorms.Dump them when you break camp.They will last for years.peewee-williams

17. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    has anyone ever had one of those tents that set up in the back of a truck?saw some in a catalog looked kind of neat. they have an awning that extend out the back. i have an 8ft bed and could get a queen size mattress in it. only problem i see is you would probably have to collapse it to move the

truck. bout $200 catwacker

18. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I have saw those pickup bed tents in the major catalogs...although I don't know anybody who has one. I thought about getting one when I got my big tent...but didnt because of the obvious reasons...there's no way we could fit all of us into the bed of a truck for a night...or nights...and have everybody survive the trip...lol.

I am still interested in the pickup bed tent however...what a great idea if it's going to be just you...or you and your wife going camping.

If anybody gets one or has one...I'm sure interested in seeing how well they like it.

19. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    When ever I camp, I put down a tarp under the tent and about 3 days before I go camping, I buy seam sealer and do the seams, I also spray the tent down with water repellant and I have never had any water leak in. When applying the seam sealer, I apply a thin coat then apply a heavyer coat.

chris

20. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Judy and I love to tent camp but the way our backs are that is out of the equation now. We have a larger camper but it is tough to pull very far, so we are building a Teardrop camper and it will be called Vol-N-Tear because we are Tennessee Vols fans. This little camper looks small and is but it will have a queen size memory foam mattress inside and a full galley in the hatch area. It has cabinets inside. You can build it with a transciever in the rear to pull your boat behind it. The size of the Tear is 5 foot wide by 8 foot long and 4 feet tall. It can be pulled with a very small car or a motorcycle. It sleeps two very comfortably. Here are a few pictures of ours in progress. At the speed we are going we will be good to have it done in time for the national gathering.

Attached Files: