Camping Equipment

Discussion in 'Camping Talk' started by ryang, Jan 4, 2007.

1. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Ok I posted on another thread for some good places to go for camping and getting some good Ideas. However I dont have that much in camping supplies. So what Im asking is what is some good stuff to have for camping purposes?

Ill be getting a good tent with Tax Returns or Bonus whichever expecting to spend about 150-300 on that. Plus we need to get a camping stove other than that Im tapped out of Ideas.

What we will have is a Radio, Fishing R/R and Tackle (of course):lol: , couple of knives (different sizes), and a collapsable shovel

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Okay Ryan - the deluxe package... lol. What equipment you collect will be entirely up to your tastes and preferences. However, these are things I have found helpful. I camp by tent... cant afford an RV or lake cabins. So, I got a two room Coleman tent. Its about 14' X 30', the back room is sleeping quarters. Two cots, two bed rolls, and storage of stuff under the cots. The front room is the store room (for lack of a better word). I have two tables that set on each side of the entrance. On these is a plastic storage container from Wal-marts that I use for silverware, knives, matches, clothesline, snake bite kit, small tools, oven gloves, pot holders, and a flashlight (these are off the top of my head... I know there is more equipment/stuff there). This continer has three drawers in it. Then I have two larger containers with drawers for coffee, filters, grease, cooking oil, paper towels, potato chips, and a lot more in these containers also.
    Under one of the table is a small electric refrigerator from Walmart which keeps the milk, eggs, bacon, sausage, soda pops, etc cool. Outside the tent I have two camp stoves - one just don't seem to cook fast enough and two coleman lanterns. I fuel the stoves and lanterns off one big bottle of propane - as you have in grills. Walmart has a propane tree and hoses which are used for this process. Then I have a couple of BIG hand held lanterns and three protable CB radios. Every time I go I add to my master list, and everytime I go camping, I find there is still something else I have forgot. LOL
    I like my comfort. Oh, yes, on the tent - do not let anything touch the side of the tent - nothing. If you do, and it rains, the tent will leak. Being in Oklahoma with our fickle weather, I also carry a weather radio which warns of approaching storms or tornados.

3. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I think the biggest variable is in how many are in yer party. Camping alone is one thing, Momma an the kids, whole different game.. Far as gear goes, biggest suggestion I'd have is what fuel for your appliances. Propane or gas. Pick one. I think propane is safer, and the small bottles really last longer than you think they would. One of the most useful things I have that surprised me is a little webber propane grill. Folds up with a handle on the top and carries like a toolbox. Just big enough for couple of ribeyes, or brats & dogs. I've used the heck out of it. I've got a big belief in Coleman products too. Got stoves and lanterns that are 30+ years old still in service. I've got a single burner "Sportmans" stove that is 36 yrs old and still in service.
    :smile2:

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Awshucks, no air conditioner? Lots of folk here rig up a portable window unit to cool the tent at night.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Naw, no air conditioner. They grow them tough north of the Red River. Saw one of your feller texans's with an a/c. I like Bud, but what a wimp. LOL

6. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    It would Propane, can you use the same bottle that you use for a regular gas grill or is that just way to big?

7. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    just make your list and go.

8. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Tipp:
    Find some waxed boxes for storage they are free will last for years if you take care of them.
    Look around fast food places.
    Ask around you will find some.

9. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I saw alot of cooking things, cooking means eating and eating means that you will need TOILET PAPER to clean up the mess, LOL!!!

I couldn't help it, LOL!!!

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    May not have been listed, but I guarantee they are there. LOL. I take two of the propane bottles from a grill to Keystone with me. Last over a week with all the cooking and lantern use. If you going to buy sleeping bags, you may want to look at the temperature rating for the bags. Think the ones which are rated to 40 degrees are about $30.00 at Walmart and those rated to 0 degrees are $40.00. The extra 10 dollars sure brings a lot of creature comfort. I hate being cold.

11. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Now Lawrence,

Getting Momma to camp is one thing, but Momma sweating at bed time just won't work...lol Gotta have the A/C, plus a fan..Why not? already paying for the electric anyhow...lol

12. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    A sleeping bag on a cot can be pretty cold and unyielding...you'll need a pad of some kind. There's a bunch of options to choose from, but if space isn't a problem, 3" high density foam is hard to beat.

If you're 6 feet or over, an over-sized cot is a very good thing.

I bought a Coleman bag at Wally World...over sized, 20 degree rated, $30...it is a very good bag for the money, and has a little plastic widgit on the zipper that keeps the zipper from hanging up. Gotta love that.

For cold weather, I sleep in long johns, socks, and a sweatsuit w/hood. Take some mocassins that you can slip on for midnight "trips".

Bring your lawn chair into the tent at night; it will be dry in the morning, and you can use it to pile your clothes on at night.

There's more, but I'll shut up, now.:lol:

13. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    One suggestion Gary, really, really warm sleeping bag, or even an electric heater. Would have came in real handy during a unseasonable cold may weekend this past year. :lol:

14. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    As far as a heater goes, there is one that attaches right to the propane tank. I have fished in 30 degree weather and not been cold. Anyone who knows me knows I HATE to be cold.

Why buy a tent? I have an old Winnie for sale for $1200.00 Yes, it needs TLC (the amount of TLC is debateable) or an old Airstream that needs restored. I have $5,000.00 in it but am open to offers (btw it has a rebuilt tranny about 50 miles ago and needs brakes)

15. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    We are getting blow up mattresses for that.

Shawn always the dealer, that sounds like great deals but we are looking at the Tent way (living primative :lol:)

JW Im supprised that no one brought that up LOL

16. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Along with the TP, don't forget other hygiene products. Soap, toothpaste, toothbrush. If you're going to be camping several days, there is no need to smell like bait.

And don't forget the tylenol.....

17. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    Be sure to buy a tent with a porch or screen room on front so yall can take shoes off and shake sand off and keep that darned sand out of the sleepin room.

18. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Amen, Amen!!! Gotta keep Momma comfy. If not for momma, I can camp with a tarp and a blanket

19. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    AwShucks, Tony... we know you try to keep moma happy so YOU can be the one in the family wearing the apron.

20. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Man, when you get older its sure nice to have one of them blow up mattresses...the ones that blows up with an portable air compressor...I mean get the twin size and fill the tent up with it .... get one of them portable shaders, and use the floor mats from your vehicle at the entrance of the tent... inside ond out...

bayrunner ray