camping at mendota slough?

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by sandgan, Apr 26, 2009.

1. sandgan

sandgan New Member

State:
    california
    so from what i understand camping is free at mendota slough...i think anyways. I was also wondering what part or side of the slough is the best to camp and fish from the bank. if you guys know what the best area for success is please let me know. im having a hard time finding a map of the campsites or even the lake thats why im asking you good fisher bros, thanks again for the helpfull info.

2. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    You wanna fish the Mendota Wildlife area. It is actually a river but currents is light and plenty of camping area. It's all free out there. Right now the prime spots are the shallows. Use mack, liver, shrimp, clams. I will bump um the map to our gathering. Check it out. /Even a lil map to our gathering site. There are no posted campsites out there. It is firstcome first serve. Plenty of spots though.

3. sandgan

sandgan New Member

State:
    california
    do i need a truck or 4x4?

4. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
  5. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Hey, Bulldog and Sandgan, I have never fished at the Slough ether, But the wife and are going up tomorrow and spending a couple of days fishing. we are going to take our trailer, so I think we will pay the twenty dollars and stay up by the bate shop in a camp site. I would like to meet any guys from the catfish1.com site if you are out their fishing, just give me a yell, we will be the two old farts in Cardinal trailer, and gray Chevy pickup with a generator in the back.
    catfish slick " Phil Johnson "

6. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Phil,
    When Robb or Sean see this post I'm sure they will check in on ya if they have the time. :0a23:
    :wink:

7. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Thanks Shania,
    the wife and I had planed on attending the gathering a couple of weeks ago,but the weather hear in Taft turned cold, and we backed out at the last minute, I have to be careful with my bad lungs. It looks now like the weather is going to be great for fishing, for at least the next few days. looks to me like everyone at the gathering had a great time and caught some fish, and that is what it's all. hopefully one of these days we will get to fish together.
    Catfish Slick. "Phil"

8. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Man, would love to go out and meet ya Phil. I got to work though. :sad2: Maybe next time:wink: Good luck out there and look forward to your report. Go down and fish on them rail road tressle. Good fishing there:wink:

9. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Rob,We just got home, and we had a great time Stayed three nights in the camp ground behind the bait shop. Camp site #9 way back in the back by the rail road treacle. Man the wind blew and it was cold as heck but we still caught a few fish. I can't wait to go back. But when I go back it's going to be for the crappie, not the catfish, man their are some big crappie and blue gill in their. maybe we will get to meet up with you are some of the guys on our next trip.

10. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Good to hear you made it back. The wind did pick up. That was a good camp site by the treacle.Them slabs get big. Even them gills get good size:smile2:. When ever you plan on let me know:wink:

11. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Rob, We had a great time, we stayed in a camp site behind the bait shop. a much better place to park our trailer, and much safer with just the wife and I. But we did drive the loop, and as far to the back as we could go, we drove till we came to a locked gate. and I seen whear you guys had camped two weeks before. I will be coming back up their before to long.That is how well we liked it. next time I will know what to expect. I will see if I can post a picture of our camp site.
    Catfish Slick Phil

Attached Files:

12. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Thanks for the pic Phillip. That is a safer place with the wife. The very first camp site as you enter the Refuge is a good one to. We have another geathering in July. Maybe you can make it:wink:

13. Ernesto chavez

Ernesto chavez New Member

Name:
    Ernesto
    I have the same question. But its now for fathers day 2017.help.

14. Ernesto chavez

Ernesto chavez New Member

Name:
    Ernesto
    QUOTE="daystarchis, post: 1434732, member: 108"]You wanna fish the Mendota Wildlife area. It is actually a river but currents is light and plenty of camping area. It's all free out there. Right now the prime spots are the shallows. Use mack, liver, shrimp, clams. I will bump um the map to our gathering. Check it out. /Even a lil map to our gathering site. There are no posted campsites out there. It is firstcome first serve. Plenty of spots though.[/QUOTE]
    Any

Catpaw likes this.
  15. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    the person you quoted and asked a question of is no longer on this site you wont find much activity in california section

riverbud55, Fishfeen and Catpaw like this.
  16. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    Ernesto, you might want to plan a Mendota WLA trip during the first 2 weeks in September (dove season) when the bridge will be open to the south side of the slough. You can go anywhere the dove hunters can go. The number for the MWLA office is 559-655-4645 for information. Take some garlic-based mosquito repellant.

Catpaw likes this.
  17. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    July 1 is a free fishing day. Also Sept 2.

Catpaw likes this.
  18. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA

Ernesto, here's a heads-up for you. You can use 2 poles in the Mendota WLA if you have a stamp. But across 180 in Jack's Resort or the Mendota Pool area, only one pole is legal.

Catpaw likes this.