Camping at Lake Hickory?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by holliswood, Dec 13, 2009.

1. holliswood

holliswood Well-Known Member

State:
    King, NC
    Does anyone know if there's any place to campout with a tent at the lake? If so, what type of cats are in there? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Honestly , i don't know. There should at least be a spot to camp up there. Push comes to shove , google 'camping on Lake Hickory' for assistance. Regarding catfish , I believe all kinds are in there , could be mistaken. The one and only time I went up there , I wasn't a BOC member , thus didn't know what I was doing. Also it was during the drought of 2007 and I could basically walk right up to the dam. Good luck!!

3. holliswood

State:
    King, NC
    Thanks MINTAKA :big_smile:. I have relatives near there, but they don't fish. I'll try your suggestion. My dad wasn't into fishing so I'm basically trying to learn all this stuff myself. With all of the BOC Board's information I believe I'm heading in the right direction.

4. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I fish Hickory quite often. There are channels and blues in it and I am told flathead are there also, but I've never seen one.

I can't help you on camping there but I do know people fish from the bank at the Lovelady boat launch and I have seen them catch some nice cats.

Lovelady is on the Caldwell side of the lake and you can find the route on Google maps. Cross the lake on hwy 321 turn right at the light. Drive till you see a store on the right and turn to the right just before the store parking lot. Lovelady is a mile or so on the right.

When I was a kid I used to fish under the 321 bridge on the Caldwell county side ( I think that may be in Burke county but still in that direction ) And did pretty good. But I don't know about parking. Same for the 127 bridge and back years ago there was a place to park there.

I believe if I were gonna bank fish this time of year that I would see if I could fish the 127 bridge.

Good luck and welcome to the BOC. Let us know how it works out for you and feel free to post any more questions.

5. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Also , you may be able to camp at River Park on 16 , on the right before the bridge.

6. holliswood

State:
    King, NC
    I'll google river park. I was reminded by my dad that I have a aunt and uncle that live 10 minutes away from there today. A really big brain fart on my part!