Camping at fort cobb

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by catfishcrazyjr, Mar 20, 2007.

1. catfishcrazyjr

catfishcrazyjr New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i am going down to fort cobb this weekend to go camping and do some fishin, does anybody know a good place to camp over there and whats the fishing report look like

2. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    Are you taking a boat?

There are some really nice camping area around the dam on both sides. If you are not fishing from boat it is hard for me to help. If you do have a boat you can try the other end of the lake in the shallows. There are many sand bars that come off the points that can produce alot of fish.

Mostly what I see at Cobb is jug fishing and drift fishing. I have not been there since last year and have no idea what the water level is like. I am assuming it is low. That can be a problem while boating at night. I would definitely take it slow seeing as how you are not familiar with the lake.

Be sure to stop by the "Lucky 13" bait shop. They can give you a good honest report of the lake. Most of the locals have told me for years that there are no fish in the lake. That is ..... well.... a big fat lie. I think they are just not wanting alot of fishing pressure on their lake. Either way they're in there.

One place that does come to mind is a area called "fisherman's marsh". It may be hard to find but I believe you can locate it on "google earth". It is only accessible by boat. If memory serves me right there is a creek that lets in right there.

There is also an area that is called "catfish or white catfish cove". It has good structure, rocks, and deep water close. If you can get the wind to help you out and blow into the shore you will do great there. This area is accessible from shore also.

You can visit the park office and get a map from them. It is located by the golf course (I think). The game warden's are pretty friendly there..... as with all the game warden's I have met.

Without going with you I have pretty much told you all that I could remember without getting on the water myself. Good luck to you and be safe out there. Remember that the water temps are still pretty cold so don't fall is without a life jacket on.

Dave

3. catfishcrazyjr

State:
    oklahoma
    thanks for the info dave. and i will try and not fall in with OR with out a lofe jacket

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    There is a state park near the dam which should offer decent camping. Blues are supposedly being caught near the dam on cut bait (shad). Crappie should be moving in to spawn - the dogwood is blooming. LOL

5. catfishcrazyjr

State:
    oklahoma
    hey if anyone wants to come by and say hey, and check out all the big ol blues i will catch just give me a call 405-243-3178

6. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    When I was a kid in the Boy Scouts, we would go camping in the wildlife preserve on the north end of the lake. Is the preserve still there or has it been renamed a WMA?

I think it was a PHA because we all carried our bows and ate rabbit every night. There were a lot of swamp rabbits and crows there.

7. catfishcrazyjr

State:
    oklahoma
    man. the wind,wind,wind! got 1 channel about 2 pounds and it had bumps all over it