Camping at age 54

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by FishMan, Apr 8, 2006.

1. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I camped for many years as many of us have but I'm 54 and now going to try tent camping so I can pull my boat instead of a camper. Are there others my age that tent camp? My mind is willing just don't know my body will say. You know how it is, when you get to a certin age you become somewhat spoiled, like sleeping in a bed. LOL

Are there others out there my age that camp in tents for the sake of fishing new water.

Oh well, if it's to much there always the motel, warm room, air, heat, TV,

I will find out soon. I have all my new camping gear together and will be using it first weekend of next month. If I don't like it someone can get a good deal on gear, LOL.

Danny

2. oldwhiskers

oldwhiskers New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    I know what you mean on the effects and the creature comforts.

I have been weighing the same thing this year, let us know how it works out.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Danny my wife and I tent sometimes but mostely we use a 28 foot camper.
    But I have found out get a good quality air mattress and a 12 volt inflator for it and make it queen size take a good quilt to put under the sheet and it will let you rest good.
    I didn't get a great big tent because I want the ease of tearing down and setting up.

I am 59 and the wife is--- well you ask he I sure ain't.:) :p

4. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If I find I can enjoy this traveling to fish I may look into getting a small motor home.
    When you pull your boat with your camper do you find you need your car? I quess you get good at remembering everything you need. I don't know what I'm talking about but when I see campers set up for camping it looks like it would be a problem to load up to go out to eat or run to the store. On the other hand if your camping you must not be in a hurry.

You guys with the campers, how do deal with these things.

Danny

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
  6. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The site wouldn't let me view the pic.

That works and I like campers of that type but what about the boat? I guess thats why you tent camp sometimes.

There just doesn't seem a way to cover all the bases.

Danny

7. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    if you dont want the expense of a big motorhome you can always get a van conversion. that way you can tow your boat and still have some comforts. plus the insurance fuel and cost go way down compared to a motorhome. i still tent camp now and then but anymore i really dont care to to hard on my back even with the airbed.

8. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Ahh Bubba you saying yer chicken????

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

Awhhh Mutt you figured that part out to soon. :p :p
    Danny this should let you see it.
    Yep that whey I tent camp some unless I have some along that bring the boat but when I take my trailer I love to fish from the bank and nap some while I am doing it.:) :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v172/coofficer/000_0250.jpg

10. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I have slept in trees tied off to the limbs but I wouldn't dare to do that now. I want a big bed.

11. dixiedrifter

dixiedrifter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Tent camping is OK, but the biggest problem is it gets HOT inside those things during the summer, and COLD at night during the spring.

Its just about bearable in July at night but as soon as the sun comes up you start roasting. I rigged up a fan and ran it off a power inverter and a couple deep cycle batteries... that helped immensly. This year I'm goin to try a rigged up cooler full of frozen 2 liter soda bottles and powered by 12volt computer fans. The bottles should last a long time and also double as a dehumidifiers. The only downside is a cooler full of soda bottles will be very heavy.

If its gonna be cool out at night, be sure to put more covers between you and the air mattress than what you have on top of you otherwise you will freeze.

12. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :) You cuold always get a 3/4 or 1ton truck ,get one of those slid in campers wich i s pretty nice. that way you have comforts of home and pull the boat with ease. Happy Camping!!

13. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Willard, That a nice setup, I could live in that, LOL

I forgot about the truck camper, thats a good Idea.

14. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have ordered a big mans cot from cabelas 40 inch wide and i have some good quality foam, I hope that will make a good bed. I'm really looking forward to giving this camping a try, we will see if the body likes it. If I like it ok I will get a portable air conditioner for summerif needed.

I was also thinking of something like a bread truck to fix up for camping. I like fooling around with stuff.

Danny

15. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I had a pickup with a camper shell on it that I used to sleep in when I went to Ky. Lake. I had an air mattress in it and one of those little $10.00 fans from Walmart that you plug into the cigarette lighter plug. It worked pretty good. I have an Explorer now that should provide enough room if I fold down the rear seat, but I haven't tried it out yet.

16. APD1146

APD1146 New Member

State:
    New York
    Hey there kids;
    I'm 65 and I still sleep in the back of my Avalance or if it's nice, in the boat itself. Or when I take my van I just take the extra seats out of it and put down a mattress from a sleeping cot and my sleeping bag. I do the same for my Avalance with the pad and sleeping bag. I have a small propane two burner stove and a Coleman drip coffee pot that makes coffee just like at home. There are many appliances you can run on 12v from your car or boat.
    I usually go to a resturant or buy something easy for breakfast like rolls and peanut butter, or donuts / pastry's or oatmeal for 1 pot cooking of same as well as soup for lunch. I sometimes take my dad who is 87 and we both sleep well enough this way. In the evening we go to a resturant, hauling the boat behind us.
    I hope this gives you a few more ideas to mull over.
    Keep your lines wet and good fishing.
    John

17. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Fishman I'll be 54 this year and I've been disabled sence Jan.01 and I ain't stopped camping.2 years ago I wound up in a wheelchair and I sometimes still pitch a tent(yes I can pitch a tent from a wheelchair).I had a pickup camper but I couldn't shift the gears on that truck anymore so I traded for a mini van and I sleep in it most times,Heck I go where I want wheelchair or not tent or not.You can do anything you want it just takes a little more time.

18. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I also have a wheel chair I must use after standing a short time. I can walk some but not far and when I force myself I pay with pain for many many hours,

The VA tried to put me in a wheel chair for several years and I wouldn't here of it. After many years I was not living anymore just breathing. I didn't go out to eat or go to the store. I didn't join in family outings or go any where. One day I said to myself, self you are stupid, take the chair, do what you can and now I'm starting to live again.

I'm camping in a few weeks for the first time since I had a stroke in 1992.
    Here I come, I think. LOL

Danny

19. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    I am 53. My wife and I pitch a tent when we go to gatherings so I can pull my boat. It`s not too bad with an air mattress. I would say the worst thing is the heat during hot weather. This year however, when we go to Keystone, we are going to stay in a motel. My wife has developed some health problems and it will make it bearable for her.

20. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    You can, most of the time find a hotel room close to where you are going and get some good rest. The cost isn't bad when you consider the hassle of setting up camp, and when it rains (and it will) it can be a real drag. I like camping but not when i'm going a good distance for a fishing trip. Its good to be rested when your fishin all day.