Campgrounds near Truman Dam

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Seth, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I want to start taking a pop up tent with me for when I go fishing up there so I can sleep and then drive home the next day instead of driving 2.5 hours home after fishing most of the night. The last time I did that it got kind of spooky once I got through Jefferson City due to being really tired.

Does anybody have some numbers or websites I can check out that have rates and all of that good stuff. Thanks

2. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Sterett Creek is only a few miles from the dam up Hwy 65. You could set up there and fish below the dam without having to drive too far.

I've been known to go sleep in my car for a couple of hours right there in the parking lot below the dam before tackling the drive back to KC. Just a nap can make a huge difference.

http://www.sterettcreek.com/

3. unclebill85

unclebill85 New Member

State:
    Lee's Summit, Missouri
    I've camped at Truman State Park my whole life. Nice place, nice facilities and right on the water. I have camped at Sterett as well and it is also nice, but wanted to give you another option if needed.

http://www.mostateparks.com/trumanpark/camp.htm

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    There's a small campground on the west dam access road that allows tent camping. It's right next to the road, so I don't know how much rest you'll get...

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Seth, I have a camper all set up here on the place and your welcome to use it if you want. Heck I might even let ya use the couch but the dog and kids might be jumpin all over ya come day light LOL. Now as for the going rates..$$..:wink:

6. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Pecan Grove campground. They have some log cabins also.

7. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Thanks for the information. Spoon....I'd gladly give you some $$ in exchange for a place to lay my head down.

8. bodi

bodi New Member

State:
    missouri
    there is a small road near the entrance were there is some nice grounds to clean fish and sleep

9. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Well let me know when your headed down again Seth. I will come and do some fishing with you and no it wont cost you any thing to stay here. We can probably even get Judith to make us some breakfast...
    I'm headed to the dam tonight to see if I can find a good one thats hungry.

10. aaronm283

aaronm283 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I stoped at Pecan Grove campground two week ends ago and the owner told me they wasnt renting lots out for tents anymore. you can put your pop up there for $18 a night. truman state park is about 8 miles from the dam and is only $9 a night.

11. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Does the State Park have a gate that keeps you from coming back in after a certain hour? That was the reason I liked Sterett Creek - access was open all night, which is important if you go fish below the dam into the wee hours.

12. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Take a picture and let us know how much he weighs Spoon. :big_smile: