Campgrounds in Flathead Catfish territory

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by RonSki, Jul 8, 2009.

1. RonSki

RonSki New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Every year, the wife and I try to find a campground where I can fish and she can, well, whatever for our anniversary. I'm trying to find a campground that is right on the water, someplace with a boat launch on a river with some flatheads. I was looking for someplace on the Wabash, but I'm not finding much. I was hoping someone knows of someplace that we could go. Obviously the size and/or numbers of flats is the first priority :wink:, but someplace nice would be good. Anything north of Indy is fine with me. Can anybody help me out??

2. 32#fishnamedjoe

32#fishnamedjoe New Member

State:
    Indiana
    vevay indiana has a nice little spot right on the ohio with a ramp in the park pretty decent bank fishin i caught a couple nice flats and my ole lady caught a nice blue i got pics on here somewhere

3. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
  4. RonSki

RonSki New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks Joe, but I'm in Elkhart. The wife doesn't want to drive 6+ hours.

But THIS place we're seriously gonna look into! Maybe a little more expensive than we'd like, but so what.:wink: My next question Josh, is if there's any sturgeon close to there? I've never caught a blue cat or a sturgeon (we just don't have either one up here) so I LOVE the idea of having a chance to catch them too... Thanks a bunch!

5. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    There are BIG sturgeon at france park, But you can't catch them. If you go up on the cliffs you can see them in the water.

6. RonSki

RonSki New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Why can't you catch them? I looked at the France Park website and it doesn't say anything about no fishing (except from the cliffs). You're talking about these actually in the Wabash right? They do offer camping at France Park too so thanks for making me look there btw...:wink:

7. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    France park is just off the wabash and has gravell pits. The sturgeon are in the pits not the wabash.

8. RonSki

RonSki New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks Josh, now I get it:wink: I MIGHT be looking at something closer to home than that even. The wife won't go for the 6hour drive though Earl...

9. buckeater

buckeater Member

State:
    Indiana
    check around clinton on the wabash i believe they have camping right there somewhere. bunch of big flatheads big blues. we caught one that went a lil over 40lbs there three weeks ago.

10. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Whoa Whoa Whoa, where is this? I wanna go view some sturgeons!

11. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    they are paddle fish at "france park" arent they bro.?

12. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    maybe thats what they are??? I was think I read a trail sign about the "sturgeon" in the pit???

13. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    I did look it up and see that they have at least 1 if not just 1 spoonbill in there. I would be curious to see if they do have sturgeon in there too, that would be just flat awesome if they had both!

14. Indysfinest22

Indysfinest22 New Member

State:
    indiana
    I tell ya what im not sure where ur located or how far you want to drive, but a very very nice place to go with a campground extremely close to the river is in Williams Indiana around Bedford, There is a nice damn there with a boat launch right there, and the area is lighted somewhat (fishing area) and the campground is just above the launch area, and if i remember right it is free to camp there, it is a very small town but you have a baitshop,campgrounds, and river fishing by the dam all in walking distance of everything!! i highly highly suggest this area, it is secluded and is rarely crowded and is a family friendly spot!! Deffinately consider it!! I hope i helped!!

15. RonSki

RonSki New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks Collin, but that is WAY too far for my wife and I to be in the truck together :wink: I'm 2 minutes from Michigan.... Thanks for the suggestion though!!

16. Indysfinest22

Indysfinest22 New Member

State:
    indiana
    oh my bad lol, well try 7 lakes state park near saginaw michigan, iv mushroom hunted it before.

17. Crowderdog

Crowderdog New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The picture of the flathead in my avatar was caught in the St. Joe at Berrien Springs Michigan. We stay at Shamrock Park it is right on the river, has a boat ramp, cabins and camp sights. You can tie your boat up on the riverbank at the campground.

18. Crowderdog

Crowderdog New Member

State:
    Indiana