Campground near James River, Deep Bottom Ramp

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Catfishqueen, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Catfishqueen

Catfishqueen New Member

State:
    Upper Marlboro, MD
    Hello all,
    Does anyone know of a good campground near Deep Bottom boat ramp? I have stayed at Pocahontas State Park before but was wondering if there is anything closer the the ramp.

Thanks!

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Good question, Melissa. I am curious about that too, for my next trip to the James. I couldn't find any others listed that were closer than Pocahontas. Do you know if Pocahontas has any cabins for weekly rental?

3. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Chickahominy Riverfront Park is about 30 minutes away from Deep Bottom. It's a straight shot up 5 to get to deep bottom. Better yet, the park has it's own ramp at the mouth of the Chick, giving you access to the chick itself and the lower section of James River. There's also a motel about the same distance from deep bottom. It's also on the Chick.

http://www.riversrest.com/
    http://www.james-city.va.us/recreation/chickahominy_park.html

/Scott

4. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks, Scott. That shouldn't be too far to drive. Next time I get up there, I would like to fish the chick, too.

5. Catfishqueen

Catfishqueen New Member

State:
    Upper Marlboro, MD
    Thanks, Scott! I will check those websites out. Heading down there this weekend.

Catfishqueen

6. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    That riverfront park sounds like a really nice place. I had seen the one for river's rest before, and it sounds great, but not quite what I was looking for at the time. It would be good though, for fishing the upper part of the chick.

7. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    I'm working on a camping trip there the first weekend of april myself. You can even fish from the bank on most of those riverfront sites. It's a little steep on the creekside. A lot of guys fish right off the pier also with surf rods to reach the channel. Bait is available pretty close as well

/Scott

8. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I'd love to get back up there about that time, but it looks like I'll be working nights the whole month of april.
    BTW, hope you guys up there have a good day on the James this Saturday. Let me know how things go. I was tempted to head back up there, but I've got too much to do here, right now.

9. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Unfortunately I have to go to D.C. for a work commitment on friday night. My whole weekend's shot. That's ok though - I need a free weekend to get something done around the house.

Hope to see up here again soon.

/Scott

10. rondawg

rondawg New Member

State:
    VIRGINIA
    I Have Camped At Chick Riverfront Before. Had A Wonderful Time It Cost $20 Per Night To Primative Camp If You Call Early Enough You Can Pick Your Spot There Are A Few Tent Sites On The River Side That You Can Fish From Your Campsite. Last Year When I Was There We Fill A 70qt Cooler With Eating Size Cats. I Also Fish The Pier For Big One 1 Or 2 Time A Month. Last Weekend It Was Slow A Few Bites But No Takers. Also The Herring Have Started Running At Walkers Dam That Means Thet The Cats Will Be Moving In There Soon.. I Will Probably Be Going Up This Weekend Maybe Sat Night To Either Walkers Or The Campground. There Is A Campground Also At Walers Dam It Is Called Rock-a-hock Right On The Chick With A Nice Marina But No Primative Camping.

Ron

11. retailredneck

retailredneck New Member

State:
    Richmond Va
    The mud shad and a very few herring are at walkers dam,I was there 2 days ago and had friends go today,tons of mud shad and still few herring. I did catch some nice blue cats that were in the 2 pound to 10 pound range using cut mud shad,also the crappie are hitting at night under the light at the begining of the dam on the river side.they all are about 10inchs and above that we caught on small minnows

12. Rainbo

Rainbo New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Pocahontas State part is about as close as you can get. Dutch Gap is much closer than Deep Bottom.

If your determined to launch out of Deep Bottom either Pocahontas State Park or Maybe Ed Allans.

13. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Rodney, what are you calling a 'mud shad'? I'm not familiar with that name.

14. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Those would be gizzard shad I believe.

/Scott

15. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks, Scott. I thought as much, just hadn't heard that name used before. Funny how fish can be called so many different names, sometimes, depending on locale.:)

16. retailredneck

retailredneck New Member

State:
    Richmond Va
    yes they are what everyone calls gizzard shad,I have always heard them called mud shad due to them being the first to arrive in the spring during the 1st high muddy water.

17. flemflamman

flemflamman New Member

State:
    va
    Is the ramp at the route 5 bridge open year round?

Thanks

18. O2Bfishing

O2Bfishing New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    not sure of this month , but last year we drove down from the mountains and it was closed in Nov. not sure why & never got an answer when tried to call. head for deep bottom iis your best bet after labor day

19. jonnycat

jonnycat New Member

State:
    Maryland
    The campground is open yr round but was under construction last year. It is a fine location to camp and fish from with so much water available. My family has camped there on 2 occasions on Easter weekend the past couple seasons. They have an honor box at the little campground office. $5 is the rate if it hasn't changed since we were there in April. Hope this helps you out. Later for now---jonnycat