campfire

Discussion in 'Camping Talk' started by mistynadam, Jul 21, 2008.

1. mistynadam

mistynadam New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    What's the best way to keep a campfire burning for several hours? I keep adding wood but it burns up fast once it gets so hot. And, of course, by that time its dark and hard to go searching for more in the woods.:roll_eyes: Any suggestions?

2. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I try to come up with a dense wood. Once you get it goin' it burns long and hot, makes for a good bed of coals to make coffee over in the morning too.

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    It will go by the type of wood your burning. I use pine and oak. The pine will light easy, burn really fast and throw off a lot of light. The oak burns slower, hot, and with less light. I will usually mix both kinds of wood because I have plenty of it cut up at the house just for camping. I also cut/split my wood into foot long pieces so my pit can be small.

Some one here will tell you the best wood to use...I'm no wood expert, LOL.

-Jim-

4. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    There really isn't any substitute for learning about the various woods that are available where you live...every one has different characteristics. Some burn hot, some more slowly, some are good for cooking, some are not, and so on.

When I camp, I usually take my firewood with me, so I have some control over the type and quality of fuel I'm using.

Some general guidelines to consider: hardwoods like maple, oak, and hickory will burn longer than softwoods, split wood will burn faster than wood in the round, and the drier the wood, the faster it will burn...I add a green log to the fire before I go to sleep, and there will be enough left to get another fire going in the morning.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Big pieces burn longer. Not just because it's more wood. A big chunk of wood will burn longer if it's one solid piece than if it's split up into smaller pieces.

Keep an eye out where trees are being cut up. Even if the owner wants the firewood, there are often pieces that won't split because of knots where the tree forked, or a big limb joined the tree. Put one of those down as a backlog, and you'll find it much easier to keep a fire going for several days.

If you're looking in the woods for something to start your fire, look for a rotted pine tree. If you can find some pine knots, they'll start pretty easily, and make a good hot fire to get things started.

6. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie

7. derail

derail New Member

State:
    kansas
    Always take along a handful of hardwood logs from the home pile when we head out. Burns for hours and hours.[​IMG]

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    What you need is a good hardwood stump that you can put on the fire. these thing will hold a fire for hours................not a big flame, but it will keep on burning allowing you to just add a little bit of wood at a time. The idea of bringing your own wood is very good also.

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    yep. agreed on the big chunk. ive seen some burn and smolder two three days and go out.

im no expert. but also know round wood burns longer than split and dried. i burn wood in the home and shop for heat. i have a huge pile now 80' long or so 7' tall doubledeep. so i just take a 1/4 of a bed load to last me the weekend camping. i only burn them at night too. day fires are a waste of wood when its 90 lol. but those bog round forks and knots will keep it going in the day too.

10. derail

derail New Member

State:
    kansas
    Course if you don't have the time to go lumberjackin', never a bad idea to take along a bag of charcoal.

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Charcoal's OK for cooking, but I've never felt right just sitting around a bunch of charcoal burning in the firepit. It just ain't the same. Rather take along some firewood. I'd even rather have a couple of the artificial firelogs burning there than charcoal. (A chunk of the firelog is a great firestarter, too.)

12. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Amen, brutha. Preach on!

13. derail

derail New Member

State:
    kansas
    I second the firewood over charcoal any day, but some fire can be much better than none. I've been known to use the charcoal during the day and throw a good log or two for the evening.[

14. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    When we go camping in TN, we always take a chainsaw. You can cut up down trees in the LBL. We just grab some beer and a few nephews and one of the pickups. Instant 4 days or so worth of wood.

We build some big campfires, don't know why, we just do.

15. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I usually travel a good distance on foot anytime I camp. I try to travel light so I usually burn twigs I find. The method I use to keep it going is to not build it to large. I kind of ration my fire wood since I burn what I find. Its a little bit of work but a fairly small amount of wood can go a long way if a small fire is managed properly.

Here is a cool link to a tiny homemade wood stove;

http://www.backpacking.net/makegear/falk-woodstove/index.html

As a side note, I met a fella the other day that saves boxes of beer. When he cleans his yard he fills the beer boxes up with little twigs and debris till the boxes are stuffed. Thats his fire starter. They work great and a heck of a lot better than those starter logs.