Camper Knowledge

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Darrell, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Darrell

Darrell New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am going to buy a travel trailer when I get home for camping with my family. I have very limited knowledge about the subject. Does anyone have any experience with campers/travel trailers and any recommendations with brand or models. I want to sleep 4-6 and definately need AC/Heat.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Darrell I have one myself a 28 footer. One of the first things I did was do my home work on them. Look at the floor plan and go over with it with the wife.

( She is the one you gonna have to please) One of the first things I considered was how much my tow vehicle could tow and be safe with it.

If you buy new make the dealer include the hitch with it. I didn't and that cost me another 500.
    As you get closer to buying we can field a lot of other questions that you will have on it.

Oh and another thing buy it in November or DEC or Jan. You can get some good deals in those months because sales are down for them.
    Don't let a sales man tell you that a small truck like a half ton will pull a 34 footer because it can't and live with it. Those sales persons don't understand towing for the most part.

3. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    i bought me a pop up camper cause they are lighter and easier to tow.
    the only down fall with them is they don't havesense of sercurity for your possions if you leave camp cause the side are cloth and can be easily broke into but the way i see it if they want in their gonna find a way so i don't leave valuables in the camper...i'm getting ready to trade this one in on a newer pop up here pretty soon.....

4. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    John, just had to jump in and say this....we had a popup tent trailer... Starcraft. Pulled it for about 15 years. I carried a 14 ft V btm. alum. boat on top with a 15 HP motor in the station wagon. Worked great for going to/from and camping at the high lakes in Colorado. Just before I retired we got a new motorhome. They are nice but we all will never forget the great times in the old Starcraft. We had two kids but once we took my wife's folks and we all stayed in the Starcraft!

Attached Files:

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You guys are right on the pop up. I have seen many one parked right along beside 200.000 dollar motor homes and the people were having just as much enjoyment.

I would have bought one myself but when I bought you could buy a trailer as cheap as a pop up and momma wanted a trailer. Need I say more.:)

Thanks olefin for sharing those pictures it makes me want to go out and get the T&T OUT OF hibernation.:)

6. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

Hey Dayton,
    Those are some good pics,like the one with the lake.A few trout in there?
    Ernie

7. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    My daughter has an older model RV 1987 I think. She told me that I could use it for the national gathering. I think it may need new tires before it takes a long trip.

8. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks, Those were scanned from old 35 MM slides.
    Yes, back in the 70's and 80's we caught boats load of trout trolling. Even with three females! :D

Visited the lake three years ago, it was very low do to years of little snow.
    No one was fishing. Think they had good snow last year.

9. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    man your poptop looks just like the one i used to have. ws a great unit. i had the crankup top worked fine but they had to replace it crank system it broke was under warrenty after that it gave me many years of service without a problem. i did put the axle under the leaf springs though since i towed it with a lifted 4x4. as for the big trailers the previous info was excelant dont go over what your twoing vehicle can tow. also if you dont have one with a tow package then put a extra trans cooler on too it does help if you have a automatic. and i agree get them to throw in the hitch when you buy its not cheap.

10. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Merle,

Never had a problem in all the years we had it other than bought a new set of tires. I carried a spare set of wheel bearings but never needed them. I would get under it and WD-40 all the cable pulleys on the lift system every year.
    We gave $1250 for it new in 1973.
    Finally gave it to our kids but they didn't use it much so they sold it.
    Wish I had taken a picture of it with the 14 ft. boat on top. :sad:

11. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    i believe mine was a 75 not to sure anymore been a long time ago and we all know what time does to memory lol.

12. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have a camper queston. would it be against the law to tow a camper and a boat, maybe it is just not a good idea as I don't see it but it would solve a problem. I know you can use a motorhome and tow your boat but you loose your truck.

Danny

13. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Danny in Tn it has to be a Fifth wheel camper to tow the boat behind it. I looked into that. The camper can only be 28ft and your total length can only be 65 ft.
    So we went with a truck camper. I can park in the standard parking spaces. And if I have the boat along its like the camper is not there as for the lenght. The camper only addes 3ft to the lenght.

Also Al and Ga and a few more states you can't tow a boat behind the camper.
    AlsoIf you have to back up.. WEll good luck.

PEte

14. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    I think Darrell was looking for something with heat and A/C..I know they make them with heat...don't know about A/C. Any body have a camper with A/C?

15. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I have a 30 foot Prowler Travel trailer that I tow with a 99 Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton pickup. It does the job well. My trailer doesn't have any slideouts though and it meets the pickup's gross weight specs. Got forced air and heat. It's comfortable camping unit for the wife and I. We paid 7,000 for it used and it was like brand new when we got it. We bought it in 2000 and it's a 1996 camper. If you're looking for a used camper, make sure it's been taken care of and that there isn't a sign of roof leakage anywhere in it. Be choosy and get what you want the first time. And like someone else said, when you get it make sure they throw in the hitch and load spreading equipment. If not, you can add from 500 to 1000 dollars depending on the brand and rating of the hitch system.

16. e5catfish

e5catfish New Member

State:
    Smilax, KY
    I bought a brand new Fleetwood popup camper last year and dearly love it. It has the gas heater, 3 way refridgerator and definately air conditioning! The whole thing wouldn't be worth 10 cents to me without that air conditioner. I trotline and jug in July on vacation when the cats are coming off the nest and that air conditioner really pays off! It's hard enough juggin and lining the way I do and at all hours of the night without having a good place to get some rest. My wife said I made her spend 25 years in a tent and it was time to step up to something better. She's right, as usual. It's almost an insult to my Marine Corps way of doing things but that dry bed and air conditioning sure feels good! It's what's called a 12' box and weighs 2000 pounds. The specs says it'll sleep 10. Let me know if you need any more input.
    Bobby

17. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Whistler I have a 28 footer inns-brook with the slide out and I pull it with my half ton dodge with no problems.
    That Chevy would do it to. I really enjoy mine I normaly take my first trip with it in early march. They make pop ups now with all the heat and air you would want.

18. Darrell

Darrell New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have been looking at the Pop ups also, for the money they want for those, I figure I would get a trailer. Like anything else you have to look out for quality. I am wondering, is one make is better than the other. I have seen the commercials for fleetwood and sundowner. I just do not know which make is better than another as far as construction and durability. Ive also been advise as too aluminum Vs. plastic sided. I am thinking that this is something I will want to buy for 10 - 15 years of enjoyment so when comparing one to another I want to make sure I am comparing apples to apples. Unfortunatly, being in Baghdad limits my shopping to the computer. Not too many RV salesmen around here! :know-big:

Thanks to everyone for their imput I appreciate it.

MAJ D