Camped on the Muddy

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by TONTO, May 29, 2008.

1. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Eight of us went camping/fishing on the Big Muddy last weekend. The weather was perfect (we got home before the storm sunday evening). Myself, Jeselder, Big Muddy, my stepson and his friend, JD and Todd along with my nephew. We only caught ten fish but one of them was a little over 40lbs. had two close to twenty, and a mixture in between. the big fish was a flathead the rest were mixed between flats, blues and channels. Only four were caught on poles the rest came on bank poles with live bluegill for bait. We had a trotline but only caught one flathead on it. They seemed to be closer to the bank. The river was falling fast, but we really had a good time. Sure had alot of good food and beverages. Saturday morning we had three fish on five bank poles one them was the big one. Maybe Jeselder or Big Muddy will post a picture of it. I'm not computer literate LOL.

2. tkeyhunter

tkeyhunter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Can't say I got to see all the fishing action, but sure do have a freezer full of fish! They came home tired, stinky, and smiling. :smile2:

3. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    we had a great weekend. i heard you guys had a tornado after i left. is that true? if so, glad we didnt go out on the river again that evening!:crazy: Tonto cooked up enough fish to feed a horse and it was so good i filled myself up on it saturday night and ended up asleep by 9 pm. all the fish caught were basically a joint effort so i guess we can all lay a little claim to them. i have a pic of the 40 something pounder and im sure jessie has one too. heres the one of me holding it. again I didnt catch it, its just me holding it! theres also a couple other flatheads on there too

Attached Files:

4. stickusmc

stickusmc New Member

State:
    Glasford, Illinois
    Glad to hear yall had a great trip

5. jeselder

jeselder New Member

State:
    illinois
    i don't know how to explain the weeked. first the thursday before, i was in the hospital all afternoon because i decided to slice the palm of my hand open wtih a razor knife at work.fun. but still went.lol. the fish just weren't helping us, they would not bite. but tonto knew where to take us.armagedon!!! and we caught the biggest fish i had ever scene on that limb pole. just picture this. hung over at 7am just ate homemade biscuits and gravy over a fire, get in the boat and go check your bank poles. the first bet over a little bit, the second bent over a little more and jumping, and the third 10ft bank pole doubled over and the tip touching the water and bouncing. that was a perfect moment. and the corn was perfect

Attached Files:

6. wmbutler61

wmbutler61 New Member

State:
    illinois
    Guys,those are some nice fish.And it sounds like a perfect weekend.Cograts to every one of you.GOOD JOB.And thank you for the information.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Guys thanks for sharing your fishing trip. Enjoyed the pics of some nice fish. Glad you all had a great trip.

8. JMANWI

JMANWI New Member

State:
    Missouri
    What's the largest boat people take on the Big Muddy? I have a 19 ft Jon Boat and was thinking of heading that way to fish next month. Thanks.

9. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Hey Josh; I have a 20' Sea Ark and use it all the time on the muddy. Heck I had seven people in it when we were checking bank poles. Only thing if the river is down ( which I doubt cause its out of its banks right now with more rain expected). You have to watch for stumps cause there is alot of them. But that goes with any size boat. Shane they blew the sirens but no tornado down our way. Cousin Dave did call me asking if we knew what was headed towards us. I told him we were already home !

10. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sounds like you guy's are doing real good Tonto...Hope to come go fishing with you guy's soon...

See ya at the Gathering...

11. JMANWI

JMANWI New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks Earl. Any stretch of river you would recommend targeting? Also, which boat ramp would you recommend putting in at. I've never been down that way and any info would be of great help.

12. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Josh when you get closer to the date give me a PM. Launch sites vary depending upon the river level. There are several and I will point you in the right direction.

13. JMANWI

JMANWI New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for all your help.

14. Bigen

Bigen New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey tonto I am planning a night at the big muddy down by riverside park and I was down there the other day and the water comes up the bank a pretty good ways paste the hedrow, should I be fishing on the bank side of the hedrow or the river side and I plan on using cut bluegill heads and some whole bluegill so if that is not correct please let me know.

15. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Aaron I am having one heck of a time catching fish right now. They are in their spawning holes. I can get a flathead to bite, but they are hitting so hard they are knocking bluegill off or just killing them but not eating. I believe they are hitting in defense not because their hungry. I am going to put a stinger hook on this weekend. By all means fish the brush that is where they are at and the muddy is on a slow rise.

16. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    Earl, come on up to rend, they are bitin like crazy