Camp shower

Discussion in 'Camping Talk' started by cattinfever999, Jul 20, 2007.

1. cattinfever999

cattinfever999 New Member

State:
    KY
    I searched the internet for a way to hook up a shower at our campground. We have a trailer, but no running water--just a water tank. I finally came up with an idea and it worked. I got a 5gallon bucket, a watering (flowers) wand, a small piece of garden hose and a garden pond pump. I tied the wand to something(head high) and screwed the hose to the wand and the other end of the hose to the pump. Then I filled the bucket with water, put the pump in and turned it on. I was able to make a shower for around $45. You could use this idea outdoors with a popup shower screen from Wal-Mart. If there's no electricity, you might be able to find a container that will accept a garden hose and gravity feed it to the shower wand. I think a shower after a day of camping and fishing is priceless.

2. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    I drilled a water well for some hippies that lived in a TeePee. The well water was too cold and they didn't have electricity. They took a tank from a hot water heater and filled it in the morning and hoisted it up and let the sun warm it up and had a nice shower in the evening. They even had a concrete pad and canvas surround. Most hippies were not very prone to personal hygene. These were always clean and their clothes were clean.

3. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    When I was a kid we had a windmill with two 55 gal barrels about half way up the tower, that gave us a supply and pressure. Water was piped to the kitchen sink and a yard faucet. In the summer for a shower we would let the water hose set in the sun full of water for couple hours. That would be enough for a poor person's shower out behind the house. :cool2:

We camped for almost 20 years in a popup tent trailer. We seldom stayed where there was hook ups. I rigged up a 12 volt pump for the sink, with a knee switch that ran off the car battery, worked great. Sure beat the hand pump that came on it.

4. chillywater

chillywater New Member

State:
    alabama
    we found a solar shower at k-mart. basically a five gallon plastic bladder with a hose and nozel. you fill the blader in the morning and then sit it in the sun until ready to use. hang it up and shower away, good and warm and works perfect with a pop up shower tent.:wink:

5. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    yep me too, i found one of those solar jobs @ academy they work real well

6. JEFFRO67

JEFFRO67 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I agree those solar showers work great.

7. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    I got one of them solar jobs myself, works great. b4 we got that we just set 2 5 gal buckets in th sun all day an would use a glass an wash rag, hang th soap in a small sock from a tree branch. hang a tarp for privacy, and after dark, boom, u got a shower. cattinfever, u hit th nail on th head, a nice lil quick shower to rinse off th grime from fishin, sweatin an campfire is priceless, thanks for sharing your idea.

8. gonefishing

gonefishing New Member

State:
    Near Monroe LA
    A solar shower or a 5gall bucket with a few small holes drilled in it works find for me.

9. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Same here, had one for years. Worked great when we used to camp out on the islands in one of our local lakes.

10. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Everybody out getting nekkid in the woods brings a whole new meaning to "experiencing Nature"

"That a Full Moon coming up over the Islands?"
    "Naw, thats just Tanya taking a shower" .. :tounge_out::smile2::wink:

11. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

:smile2: Hey now, I haven't been out campin' on the islands in quite a while. But at least now I can say that "full moon" rounds out a body that's 70 lbs lighter :wink:! Reminds me of the old song "Carolina moon, keep shining....."

12. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    :smile2:Tanya,

You know that the island would have alot more folks on it now that you'd mentioned showering on it:wink: Tim....we know where your mind was at. :smile2:

13. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    We have a camper at our camp only problem it only has 5 gal cold water heater. Well Will to the rescue!!! 200' of black garden hose and even Belinda "the hot water hog" can take a shower! (One day I will fool her and hook a short hose direct to hydrant!!) :smile2:

14. CatFishingFinatic

CatFishingFinatic New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey now, I did my days of the black bag hanging in the sun, heating river water in a pan to wash up at the end of the day, or just jumping in the river and at least feeling a little cleaner. The water heats back up, you have to wait your turn. hehehe.

15. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    I have a cousin that is a Marine in sandland. He sent us a list of stuff that he neede, and this shower bag was highlighted as one of the top 5 picks. Our family ended up sending him 7 of them.:wink:

16. Big Cat Hunter

Big Cat Hunter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have a Coleman hot water on demand. This thing is really nice. You can buy a shower head for it and it pumps hot water. This is really nice after about the third day of camping.:big_smile: