Camp Robinson

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by PTDixieGal, Jul 16, 2008.

1. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    My dad went out to Camp Robinson with a friend of his yesterday. He said that they caught a total of five channel cat (the largest was three pounds) on stinkbait. I'm going to go out there with him tomorrow after I get my pass and check it out myself. He said that the deepest water was about three feet deep so I am going to bring one of my lighter rods for topwater fishing and my heavy rod. Will let you all know what happens.

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    There are two ponds above 6th street, and two below. Was he fishing one of these? I know the two below are very shallow, while the two above are deeper. I've only fished the two above...with no luck.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like some good fishing, congrats on the catch

4. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    ...so that rules out two of the lakes.

Anyway we went out today. I don't think we hit it early enough....thanks to the fact that the office that issues the pass opens at EIGHT AM (HINT: If any of you guys in that office are reading this, PLEASE CONSIDER opening earlier!!!)...and as a result we only caught one.

5. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    Something did strike my line yesterday and my heavy Rhino...the handle BUSTED. I might be able to put a medium duty test line and a different reel on it, but I won't be able to use it for deep water again. That's the bad news. The good news is my mother has a heavy rod/reel combo that she doesn't like. My dad knows what kind of reel I had on the Rhino and he looked the rod over. He thinks that I should be able to put the 808 on it. If I can use this rod this'll save me about $30, maybe more, depending on what brand it is. My dad thinks it's a Shakespeare...it is kind of worn. Knowing the rest of my family it's probably a Shakespeare or Zebco (I prefer Shakespeare-especially the Ugly Stik-and Quantum, my dad prefers either Mudville or Berkley, but my mother, sister, and adopted brother prefer Zebco or Shakespeare). But I figure if the rod is good, USE IT.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Absolutely nothing wrong with using old equipment if it's in good shape. I've still use reels I bought over 40 years ago, and use as backup reels some that were a long way from new when I was learning to fish back in the early 50s. I bought one of my favorite rods in January of 1965. The main thing to check is the guides. Look for grooves worn by line, and for guides coming loose from the rod (needs rewrapping). You can either have a guide rewrapped or replaced without great expense, or you can learn to do it yourself for almost nothing. There are a number of sites on the web where you can get detailed instructions on how to do this, or even build your own rods from blanks.

7. RAMCTD05

RAMCTD05 New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    Has Camp Robinson lifted the regulation on the Youth and over 65 only for this lake? It used to be in the AGFC regulations booklet, but now cannot find it. If so, this opens up another fishing location at my disposal.