Camp-N-Fish Gathering at the Colorado River

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by riverbud55, Nov 9, 2005.

1. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Ok AZ bros come and spend time with the bros from CA, who's in for a spring(2006) time fish-n-camp gathering at the river. any dates are good for me but been looking in april at the 7th, 8th(fri), 9th(sat), 10th and 11th. here's why I think it mite be the best time.The weather is the very very best that time of year, tax day and easter will be the following weekend, the full moon will be on the 13th( good for getting around on the river at nite), this would be the start of spring break for some who get it off(bluehunter), the flathead will bitting by then w/ lots of channels to be had, and the river should be running high by then, won't be a lot of boats on the river other then us

what i,ll do for the weekend is reserve and pay the for the two spots next to my trailer for the tents and partying, that would give a total of six parking spots for folks that want to sleep in trucks and maybe room for one rv and room for a gang of tents. any one wanting a spot for an rv will have no problem getting one about 27.00 per nite w/elc. and water but no sewer(to close to the river for sewer)and there is motels in town for the folks who don't camp but the fun will be in camp

were this camp is, is on the colorado river (30' and you in the water) in blythe ca about 5 miles north of the 10 fwy,. 170 miles from riverside and about 2 1/2 hrs. what the camp has, all camping is on grass under trees, super clean restrooms and showers, a camp store w/lots of beer, a boat ramp and dock ( got some nice channels fishen off of the dock). Name of camp is Hidden Beaches Resort

There's great fishen from a boat with a lot of good spots from the banks of the river and lots of canals to fish, i,ll put some maps togather for the spots i go.
    I think this would a blast for all. bring the the family and friends and have good time. so lets roll this date around some and how it goes for all

i know it's a long time off but i well need to reserve the spaces next to me soon to make sure we have them

river(colorado)bud(weiser)

2. asukevin

asukevin New Member

State:
    Tempe, AZ
    yo man, you can count me in as of right now. ive been waitin for an event on the west coast. not a fan of blythe for various reasons, but if its for fishin, im down.

3. dadcheek

dadcheek New Member

State:
    Tempe, Az
    I will try to make this. We have had a couple of gatherings down around the Oxbow area with very little participation. Dates are great for me. Can you fish all night or day from the bank? I always like having a pole in the water. I will talk with Bill Koble and see if he would be up for the trip also.

4. Billy Jo

Billy Jo New Member

State:
    Peoria , Arizona
    Hey Donald, How are you and family doing? Hope all is fine. Well, you know me and the river, I will fish there anytime. I fished the lake Martinez area in October didn't do to well but had good time. I have only fished Blythe area two times and there were to many people there for me. Last May when we fished the river remember how cold it was at night, had to wear insulated coveralls to keep warm. I thank April may be a little to early but I will be there,I always like to fish the river.
    Bill

5. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Member

State:
    Arizona
    i will also try to make it. our last local gathering was a blast so count me in. with ours we had a fish tournament. it was the biggest of 4 fish pot and a big fish pot. we tied for the big fish and took home the biggest of 4 fish, but that was on local waters. i am a newby with river fishing. but it all sound like a blast. defiantly count me in

6. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    hay guys hope all you dudes can make it, we need the bros from AZ to show us dudes from CA hows catch them big flats lol most of the bros from here have never fished the river of or fished for flats but we got some good catfisherman that's going to be there, bluehunter got a 81.5 blue last Jan., then there's muskyman this dude at our last BOC gathering got a 75# blue and the night before one at 40+ and others. think we had about 25 show for that one and what a great grope of dudes they are, bluehunter posted pics of the last one CA talk Irvine results 9/17. we all had a blast at that one

dadcheek no problem, day time, nite time any were ya want

billy jo not alot of river traffic until after mid may, until it starts getting hot in the day time. were i fish is from the palo verda dam south about 6mi to were the camp ground is at and then south of camp theres a big bend in the river that catches a lot of sand and trees so it makes it kinda hard for the boaters to get threw(but good for fishen) most of the boats coming from down by the 10fwy will never make up that far

and as far as the weather its the desert anything can happen that time of year I would think it wont get below 55 ta 60 and not above 85 these dudes from the coast youd killem it got 110 lol

matthew there will b fishen for dollars

7. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    I will try also with my 2 boys, we fished in the bartlett tourney as did young matthew and his dad. that was a blast we met in the afternoon hung out for a bit then we all took off to fish for the night and had the weigh-in in the morning. then we had a big chow line. i think i gained 5 lb's that day. i was born and raised in oakland and yes that does mean Raiders/A's, so I welcome the Cal brothers. Details as we go along like camp info would be great.

8. Billy Jo

Billy Jo New Member

State:
    Peoria , Arizona
    Hey "Riverbud" I look forward to fishing with you Califorina boys. Most of us Arizona boys spend most of our time fishing for flatheads, they are a hard fish to catch, especially the big ones. So us AZ boys are looking foward to spending some "California Money". This will be a great time to meet everyone and have a good time and catch some fish.
    Billy Jo

9. shorepatrol

shorepatrol New Member

State:
    AZ
  10. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Count me in ! Dale, I can reimburse you for reserving a tent spot before the gathering or on that day. April 7th weekend is good for me.
    How about a potluck? I can bring burgers for one day and hotdogs for another day. What do you guys think?
    I have always wanted to fish the Colorado. Have always wanted to catch a flattie.
    I look foward to seeing all of you guys and shooting the breeze.

Jaime

11. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Forgot to mention, I would be more than happy to carpool. I agree with David, will spend less in gas money. If you guys don;t mind that is.

Jaime

12. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    hi folks this starting to look good

jaime a pot luck will be in order

shorepatrol hope ta see ya

billy jo will see about the $$$$. myself grew up going to the river with my grandpa and fishen havasu during the 60s and lived in parker and even went to parker high for a few years so maybe im kinda 1/2 and 1/2 lol

tdpasser the kids love the river, water temp should be in the low 70s so the kids can be getting in the water if they want, i,ll have my waverunners in for some scouting and for some fun. when did u dudes do the barrtlet thing? thats some place id like to fish, here tell you dudes get some big flats out of there, dont know about fishen the river at nite out of a boat for the average person, sandbars and trees are found on the river, myself i use a gps to run the river at nite after I log a track up and down the river during the day. if we go out at nite we will be the only ones on the river so for safty we can go out togather and stay near each other and stay in contact with each other with radios and phones. belive me its a little scary out there by yourself a nite. I know your a river runner and know what im talking about. any one that has a boat a gps would be a real + and money well spent. most of the time the day time bite is good this time of the year this last april my uncle and myself got 16 channels and a 3 lb flat ( at the time didnt fish for the flats) in about 2 hrs in the morn

13. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    Thanks Dale,
    What I normally do with my boys is scout a spot in the day that I can bank the boat pull out the chairs for the night on a killer hole.

Will a plan like that work on the river, I'm pretty good at reading a river for eddies and holes but I am a little worried about hole hoping at night?

Will we all camp close together and can you catch flats from the bank near the campsite?

14. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    tdpasser flatheads from camp probaly not but anythings posable . having a gps would be nice on the river at nite set up a good track up en down the river and it will keep ya out of trouble, the moon will be coming in to near full so it will make pretty easy to see. fishen from a boat in shore spot is cool only thing is the river may come up 2' or 3' in an hour or so at around 2 or 3am so just be ready for it. the river runs high from say 3am to about 10am then slowly drops to its low point around 4pm. got 2 waverunners down there if ya can ride one i'll take ya out to show ya the river and that goes 4 any one with a boat

oya we will be campen all togather

15. dadcheek

dadcheek New Member

State:
    Tempe, Az
    Hi all, TDPASSER what me and Bill do is find us a good hole and then stay there all night. The sand bars are all over. You can move around at night but we just stay put. I will do a good breakfast for all on one of the mornings ,maybe 2, with all the fixins. I just need a place close to the camp to park my truck as during the day I usually try to get a little sleep. No tent. I like to set up my cooking gear close to the truck as I try to use the tailgate for a table also. Am really looking foward to this gathering. I will email David and make sure he knows. Bill you up for any fishing between now and then? Just let me know.

16. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    Sounds good Don,
    if it's any thing like the Bartlett breakfast i say we save some of the derby kitty for the cook that was a mighty chowline last time. Look forward to fishing a new flattie spot and getting tips from you old pro's. Has any one heard from one of our az's best Chris (Crush) haven't heard from him since the Bartlett derby. Will be great to see you all again. Going this weekend to bartlett try for Sat 4:30am to 2pm or so, island just south of yellow cliffs. post anything good. ( cold temps=daytime flatties, right?) I hope. :thumbsup:

17. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    well guys its all sounden good, i'm headen to the river for week tonite going to b doing some fishen and hunten, ill let ya know how it goes, report is for some good catfishen still . ya all have good thanksgiving

18. AZrivercat

AZrivercat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Wow, I'm stoked, this is my second post on here, but I guarantee Ill be at the gathering. Sounds almost too good to be true! OUCH, well I'm awake!

Ill be staying in my truck, what arrangements do I need to make?

19. asukevin

asukevin New Member

State:
    Tempe, AZ
    i hope everyone has a great thanksgiving and i look forward to the gathering in april.

20. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    asukevin,
    we fished repairian (gilbert library lake) and caught some trout we normally let them go but the first one was bleeding so we decided to put him in the cooler and try a couple of these to eat. we fried them in olive oil and seasoning and they we absolutly delicious. The trout are from colorado so they are cold water trout even though they are farm trout. we also do very well at tempe town lake for the trout using panther martin spinners and kastmasters, fun with the light gear.