Camp/Fish

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by CatHusker, Aug 20, 2008.

1. CatHusker

CatHusker New Member

State:
    KS
    Hello there everyone! New guy here. This site is great! Not sure if anyone can/will help but I thought it was worth a shot. I was just trying to find a spot where I could throw up a tent or rent an inexpensive cabin on the water and bankfish all night? It seems as though these places hardly exist anymore. I'm in the KC area and was looking to stay within about 1 1/2 hours from here. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    cant help you because i am a long ways from ya but welcome to the boc:wink:

3. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Chris welcome to the BOC and enjoy your stay here:wink:Well am in cali and just wanted to say hello:smile2:

4. CatHusker

CatHusker New Member

State:
    KS
    Thanks for the hospitality!!

5. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I went on a trip to John Redmond about a week or two ago. Stayed at riverside west, and it was awesome camping. Best I've ever had, lots of trees and shade... and its right on the Neosho River. Well, actually its kind of a side channel, but I think down on the point you might be on the main river. I know that riverside east has some campsites on the river just below the spillway. I think that is within your 1 1/2 hour drive. My buddy from KC met me down there and he said the drive wasn't bad. We fished the river above the lake and it was the best fishing we've had in a long time, if not ever. I'm sure below the spillway would be pretty good too.

6. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Chris there is plenty of places to do that. The State Fishing Lakes are the best though, because you dont have to pay for camping. Id recommend Leavenworth SFL, or Miami SFL. Both within an hour of KC, very nice, good channel cat populations. If you want flatheads, youll have to go to Hillsdale, Clinton, or Perry Reservoir, but youll have to pay for camping. Check this website out to find which lake your most interested in. Good luck. :big_smile:

http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/Fishing/Where-to-Fish-in-Kansas

7. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I'm with Keith on the state lakes being good options. If you want running water / showers, generally you have to pay to camp at a state park or Army Corps of Engineers area. Hillsdale Lake - Rabbit Ridge campground has sites next to the water, as does Pomona - Michigan Valley and the John Redmond Outlet area. They all have campsites right next to the water, but probably not very good fishing because of shallow or stagnant water. The Tuttle Creek River Pond Campground has a little better fishing if you can travel that far.

8. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Chris.

9. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    I don't know if you're in to hiking at all, but, Woodridge park at Clinton Lake is awsome. It's about 1/2 mile to the water from the car, but, pretty nice fishing and seclusion.

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Welcome to the BOC, Chris, from sunny SC!
    BB in SC

11. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    That's one I have done a bunch of times, you can reach a lot of good water, and if you are up for a real hike, the loop trail is about 4 miles long. But watch out for the ticks if you go this time of year.

12. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Welcome to the BOC let us know if those spots are any good for camping.

13. CatHusker

CatHusker New Member

State:
    KS
    That's all awesome info. guys!! Very much appreciated. I'm gonna start planning and I'll let ya' know how it shakes out. Hopefully, I'll have some pics to post. Thanks again everyone:big_smile: