Camp Fire

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by jailcop2, Aug 12, 2006.

1. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    What is it about a fire that is so inviting . I can sit by a campfire for hours and poke ,prod ,and throw more wood on . Listening to the night sounds, and never get board , forcing my self to go get some sleep .

2. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    Know ya right Brian, thats what keps me bank fishing. I think the wardens should site you if you don't have a fire unles you are in your boat.

3. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I love a campfire, Brian. As soon as the campsite is set up, I'm off collecting suitable wood, sorting and stacking. Just listening to the night sounds, as you said, and the hiss crackle and pop of the camp fire is very relaxing to me. If it's too hot for a campfire, I won't be going camping. My dad taught me to build a fire and I'll always treasure the special times we had together, camping on the NC coast or in the mountains. Thanks for reviving some special memories!

4. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    It's primal!!

I think it go's back as far as when we first harnessed it's use. To make and control fire makes you the alpha.

5. bigmike

bigmike New Member

State:
    Kankakee,Illinois
    I know what ya mean I think they have some sort of mystical powers in the trees, because when one gets a campfire burnin nothin in hte world matters anymore. Your mind goes purty close to blank and you sit there and stare at it with not a care in the world. I have to admit I love em well to be quite honest I think they are a necessity sometimes just to let all the cares go away.

6. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yeah... I think I'll go back the cave and take a club to the Mrs....:lol:
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    SECRET:... Something you tell to one person at a time.

7. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    I'm the same way, I love a good campfire, especially when I'm fishing.

8. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Love a good fire on cool nights:cool2:

9. Kentucky_Cat_Hunter

Kentucky_Cat_Hunter New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Camp fires are good for many other things as well, such as a constant light source and it keeps the bugs away :big_smile:

10. Darrell

Darrell New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The first thing I did, (well not exactly the first thing :big_smile: ) was to start a camp fire in the fire pit and relax!

MAJ D

11. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I can only echo others sentiments on this. there's just something awesome about a fire. It's mesmerizing!
    Some of my fondest memories are times spent around camp fires!

12. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    A fire is caveman TV! I love to watch them.
    Bill

13. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm in total agreement,a camp fire is so beautiful and so relaxing. You can set there and if there is a breeze coming off the water it just feels good right down to the inner core of your being.Also to look up and see all the beautiful stars,to listen to the current it's so peaceful and relaxing.You can just set there and let all the cares of this life just flow away from you. It's ust wonderful!---------pk powell:big_smile:

14. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    according to the words of mr bill engvall, when a man is starin at a camp fire he thinkin one thing, and if you have seen bill engvall or if oyu are a man you probably know what that one thing is!

15. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    My firepit was my go to place. I would fire it up every weekend. Often through the week too. Sundays I would take a tv out there and watch football, enjoy the fire, grill or take my dutch oven out and make chili. I've watched every XFL game out there. (I loved that league) Most of the time I would sit out there by myself and just enjoy the sounds of the fire and think. Other times I would have friends/family over and just have a good time. Watched several movies out there using my daughters laptop. Fell asleep in a chair and woke up the next morning with no fire and covered with snow. I would go out in all weather and fire it up besides the rain. I've fired it up when the wind chill was -20 and I've fired it up when the temp was in the 90's. Many beers have been drunk there over the years. Lots of parties. Had that firepit area for about 13yrs. Lots and lots of good times. I'm divorced now and don't have my 'go to place' anymore. I miss it and feel like I lost a friend.:sad2:
    I like fires.

Attached Files:

16. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    More pics of my firepit.

Attached Files:

17. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I don't know what it is, but I too love fire. I can sit around a fire all night. I'd rather sleep next to the fire than in a tent thats for sure.

18. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I agree with all here, love a campfire, just flat relaxing even though you have to keep stoking and stirring it around, PEACEFUL.

19. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Back when we camped the kids would bed down when it got dark... wife and I would sit around the campfire until around 1AM or later. Then we would have to make our selfs go to bed. We did most of our camping at high lakes in CO. The camp fire also felt good at those elevations.
    I don't have any pictures made after dark.

Attached Files:

20. Mid-MO fisherman

Mid-MO fisherman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Mo
    Campfires are definately relaxing. We usually have a bonfire a few times a year to get together with old friends and catch up. The engine case from an old volkswagon sure makes a real nice fire.