Camoflage clothes.

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by bearcat, Jan 5, 2008.

1. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey brothers. Just wondering. I am looking to purchase some new camo clothes for deer hunting. Lots of it on sale right now that season is about over. Looking at a jacket and bibs Need insulated to keep warm for deer season in ILL. Looking at some of cabelas stuff. Also looking at the dry plus stuff to stay dry. It seems that here in ILL the last 4 years it always rains.

What I was wondering is? what camo pattern do you like best, I will be hunting hardwood timber mostly oak,? Also any particular brand of clothes that works for you? What is your favorite boots to keep your feet warm and dry?
    Also would like to do it on a budget, none of this 200 plus per jacket or bib stuff.

Thanks for the help in advance.

2. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey bearcat. i'd like to suggest a couple of places to get GOOD camo. ad really good prices. try sports authority, and dicks sporting goods. I got a sweet rain gear outfit for x-mas this year. it costed $50.00. and last year i got a set of insulated bibs, and a coat. it was $60.00 for the set!! my g/f got the bibs and coat at dicks, and her mom got me the raingear from sports authority. I dont get cold, OR wet anymore!

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Tim ,I would like to add that the pattern of camo is entirely up to you,try and match it to your hunting situation. I use the natural gear pattern Here in New Mexico as the terrain is mostly grassland ,sage and mesquite. the hardwoods patterns look out of place to me . I found a Remington reversable coat with this camo and brown duck at my local Wal-mart for 50.00 this fall. Still looking for a pr of insulated bibbs in it tho. ,as for boots ,I'm cheap I aint gonna shell out over 50.00 for em so I dont get any that really keep me warm.

4. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I just picked up a real heavy camo coat w/hood at A&N for $19.95 on sale. The new HD patterns are great but whatever I wear, I cover it with 3D camo. That stuff really works to hide your outlines.

5. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Guys thanks.

Mark going to go to Dicks friday any way. I will have to check out what they have. Maybe it will be on sale for the end of the year.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I always prefer mossy oak original.

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    realtree hardwoods sounds like it would fit the situation. on the vids there are 5-6 guys in trees and on ground in oaks. it looks like a peaceful forrest then ya see them start waving. then they stop and vanish as quick as they appeared.

8. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I like to check cabelas bargain cave, I'm more concerned that it keeps me warm than that it has a nice pattern. In the past, i bought sweatshirts and a overgarment, to keep me orange. I got a coat lately, at gander mountain, and check sportmans warehouse. I got some good goretex bibbs which were just used and returned, but the price was good, and they get dirty when I wear them but they are warm, but Also I got about a size 54 inch waist over garment trousers so I got plenty orange on me and also keeps the bibbs cleaner.

9. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I love the new real tree AP camo. before that, Ive been using cabelas seclusion 3d. I hunt from the ground and I've had hunters & hikers walk right past me.

10. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Camo is one of those things that's funny to me. We all feel it's a necessity, then throw 400 - 500 square inches of bright international orange right over the top of it. And still see deer. I buy whatever's on sale and don't even pay much attention to the pattern. The deer have no idea whether or not we're color/pattern coordintated. LOL Silence and being motionless is what will get the deer close.

11. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I agree. Second season just opened here for doe only. Yesterday I went into the woods and stood next to a tree about 30 yards off a heavily traveled deer trail. After 30 - 45 minutes eight deer come walking down the trail. I pick up my rifle take aim, make a grunt sound they stop and I tag the lead doe. None knew I was there since I was camouflaged so well. Tan boots, blue jeans, brown long sleeve shirt, orange vest and orange stocking hat, no scent blocker, and even wash my clothes with tide and snuggle fabric softener. Left the house at 3:00 pm yesterday and was back in the house with a deer hanging in the garage by 5:00.
    P.S. I was down wind of them

12. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I stopped by Dicks today and they have alot of good deals on camo everything. Wally world had some good deals, last week I got a few long and short sleeve camo teeshirts for 3 and 5 bucks, but they were about sold out of every thing over a medium size.
    Chip

13. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Thanks for all the info. I am mostly looking for warm and dry. I looked at cabelas bargin cave and they have a couple that I am looking at.

Camo is more for squrriel hunting. I do all my hunting on private land and normally cover up the blaze orange after I get in the stand and after I get out I put it back on. I am the only one that hunts for 6 miles in any direction so it is safe. Maybe not legal but safe and we hidden.

14. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I like faded camo colors. The real tree and mossy oak stuff is just to dark. Ever notice how dark the trees are on your clothing then go to the woods and see how more light things are. Nat gear or kings camo.

15. gbigskin

gbigskin New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    whistler, you are so right in my opinion. camo is a product of marketing. i have been in the woods my entire life. have no problem getting close to game and have never bought a piece of camo. in the rural aeas of oklahoma where i live deer season is like a national holiday. it is amusing to watch most of the "deer hunters". many now have 4 wheelers even though they are only hunting small plots. most all have the latest in calls, sent blockers, etc. yet the % who actually kill a deer is small. if i were dressing on a budget i would go to an army surplus store and get some army cold weather underware. new this will cost around $60. used $5 for a shirt and $5 for pants. then a wool shirt and wool pants along with a pair of wool socks to wear over nylon socks top this off with a pair of insulated coveralls, gloves and you can withstand most any low temp. oh i almost forgot a wool cap as 40% of body heat is reportedly lost though the head. by the way i don't like to kill deer and perfer my friends do this as they enjoy it but from time to time i must as was the occasion this year when i had only one deer in the freezer and it was too cold for my best friend who usually provides me with vinison to hunt the last doe season due to his health. i loan my 25-06 to another friend each season as he like to hunt so i only had my 30-30 with iron sights to use. i went to the stand at 4:00 pm and killed a doe before 5:00pm dressed in blue jeans and a brown duck work coat. just be quite and more important hunt where the game is to be sucessful. much like fishng, low tech works well if you have the fish located.

16. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i like the idea of camo to break up outlines and feel "kool" at the camp. but, truth be told, a few other guys have hit it pretty dead on. be still, and quiet. 3-d outer layer also is great. however, i am a camo addict. lately i have been very impressed by the new mossy oak "brush" pattern. but, thats just cause it fits the woods i am hunting.

17. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    48 years of hunting. Don't own camo for deer. Turkey is another thing. Deer use their nose and ears. Don't get me wrong, their eyes are better than your wives when you come in late and they check you over. Camoed or not, if a deer smells or hears ya it's a goner. It is all a psychological or marketing strategy. Those hyped up hunting shows are to make you drool and sucker ya. Follow the money.

Whether camo or plush chartreuse, the purpose of wearing clothes clothes is to keep you warm, dry and comfortable. That is where I would put my money on whatever budget I'd have.

18. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Bro., today I went scouting for catfish for an uncoming tournament on my home lake. The temp. this AM was in the mid forties, so I decided not to wear my heavy duty Walls outfit and instead wore my camo's., which turned out to be a mistake.

I fished for over four hours and did not get a bite. The best I can figure, the cats didn't even know I was on the lake with my camo outfit, out of sight, out of mind. I always get a bite with my navy blue Walls outfit. That's my story and I'm sticking with it!

19. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I'm a big fan of the realtree AP camo.:big_smile:

20. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    man i scored last night. i got 4 pairs of the 3-d wal mart sells. cargo pants with pockets. $19.43 and i got clearenced for $5 each. and mossy oak sweat tee l sleeve and pants for $4 each was $14.88. $110 worth for $30.03. yep eeeeee.