Camo - What kind do you guys use?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by rednecksportsman511, Dec 18, 2005.

1. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    I'll be goin on my first deer hunt soon, and I need to get me some camo. Problem is, nobody in my immediate family hunts (my uncle does) so I am a complete novice as to what I need. I've already been lookin around Walmart and Academy and I have an idea at least of what I want. I'm havin trouble however findin a jeacket that's inexpensive ($30-$40) and will keep me warm. The cheapest pants I can find are around $24. As for boots, I have a pair of hikin boots, but I've been eyein some waterproof camo Brahma boots at Walmart for $20.

Do any of y'all have suggestions as to where to find somethin for low prices? My family ain't got much spendin money, esp. with Christmas right around the corner and I was just lookin for some suggestions.

2. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Dress in layers and dont worry so much about the camo unless you are bow hunting remember when your wearing bright orange it doesnt matter what you wear. Now for bow hunting dress in layers and just get an inexpensive shirt to put over the long johns and tee-shirt or what ever is underneath. The key is layers also keep your feet and hands and head warm and the rest will be ok. I like to use a backlava they sell them at wal mart plenty warm and doesnt restict vision.

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    John, I with SSG Johnson, If you required to ware hunter's orange then camo is not that important. just put some dark colored cloths and have a good time. I know how the money can be! I came from a very poor family. I had much fun just being able to go hunting. Thanks to the Army I was able to work myself out of poverty. There is no shame in bing Poor!! Hint, Try to find an Army surplus store close to you you can get B.D.U.'s like SSG Johnson has on.

4. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
  5. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    I like to wear bibs. Only camo you need and it covers up everything else. Like SSG Johnson said, dress in layers. More layers means more warmth, as the air between the layers heats up and insulates you, better really than heavier clothes. If it's real cold I'll usually wear a couple of long sleeved tshirts, a sweatshirt, and a light jacket. Always make sure you have on plenty of orange, and have fun! Deer hunting is a great hobby, and can provide you with years of memories. The excitement of taking a good deer is indescribable.

6. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    like others said,i dont worry about camo so much during gun season,as a matter of fact i took my daughter on her go along hunt and she wore a pink coat,black fleece pants and a red sweat shirt lol and we had tons of deer around us and i was able to take one. wear whats warm and of course wear your orange. here is a pic of what my daughter wore the first time she hunted with me lol http://www.catfish1.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2679

7. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Hey I heard that a study was done one time and the color PINK is basically invisable to deer. I can just see hunters out wearing mossy oak pink. :cool: If you do get the hunting bug Wal-mart as stated by others is always a good bet around clearance time. If you have multipy wal-marts near you check them all out. There are many stores that will have additional markdown money and some items will be cheaper at one wal-mart compared to others right down the road. I've also bought some used military waterproof gore tex and other pretty good waterproof laminates from Cheaper Than Dirt. They have some good stuff from time to time

8. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    i've read that deer don't color but they see shape and utra-violet so if this is true it don't matter what we wear just as long as we wash our clothes in a u.v. safe detergent...( i still wear my camo and orange together)

9. Chanellocked

Chanellocked New Member

State:
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    Like Wolfman said, avoid colors that resemble deer, lot's of blaze orange, save your money on the camo(unless you bow hunt), and get a detergent to descent your hunting clothes, they'll smell you before they see you. Be safe and by all means, have fun :thumbsup:

10. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    To keep warm I would suggest a good pair of thermals tops and bottoms as well as a pair of thick wool socks. At least 80% merino wool. If you can take a blanket or sleeping bag and youll stay warm.

11. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    The rumor has it, that if you take a big ol pot and fill it with water and leaves and heat it up and dip your clothes in it, the leaves will leave the scent in your hunting clothes, I dont know if this works but I can see why it works

chris

12. Darrell

Darrell New Member

State:
    Illinois
    When I first started I was wearing my old mans BDU's. I decided that I wanted a good set that would last me a long time. Immediately after deer season I took all of my spare change and saved it. After each paycheck I also saved 10 bucks and put it away. Soon, I had $500 within 8 months. I had more than enough to buy a good set. That was 10 years ago and I still use them. I have them dry cleaned each year after the season. A month before deer season starts I put them in a garbage bag and put leaves and cedar limbs in there. It has worked for me well and I have a good set. I have to watch my weight a little bit so I dont grow out of them.

MAJ D

13. bowtech29

bowtech29 New Member

State:
    TN
    This is probably the only place I will disagree with any of you. So forgive me, but I am very particular about my camoflauge. I hunt solely in ghillie or leafy-type camoflauge however you can find an in expensive set at Wal-mart. I find my hunting to be a different experience maybe but my favorite part of the hunt is how close he was before he even knew I was there. This past year I had a 6 pointer eating acorns from 3 feet beside me and me on the ground in a hole created from a rock shelf. I have had a button buck lick my boot and a doe roll of the side of my calf and wonder why the log yelled. Ive done Jumping jacks in front of an eight pointer at less than 15 yards only to watch him bend down to get another acorn. I believe that camoflauge is as quick of a deer spooker as anything. Case in point ask any man with horses, first sight of any large movement of a tree and there gone. but put on a leafy or Ghillie and they never notice. you can put on your mossy oak your realtree or your woodland all day long. But one hint of an outline and that deer is gone main thing is break it up and break it up well. As for your blaze orange walk in with it get in your spot take it off and hang it on the tree beside you, it serves its purpose and you are free to HUNT.