Camo - the point is?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by TDawgNOk, Sep 20, 2007.

1. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Ok, first off, I'm new to hunting. Heck, haven't even gone out yet. I'm a little confused. My buddy who I'm supposed to go hunting with has stated that I need to buy some camo clothes. But I don't get what the point is. Why wear camo, when you have to wear a bright orange vest anyway? Also, from some of what I've seen on here, people who are acting normally in the woods, ie not sneaking around, have an odd tendancy to see more deer. If this is the case, once again, why spend hundreds, if not thousands of dollars on camo?

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Dude, without camo, you're out of uniform!:wink:

Seriously, it's a fair question, I don't have an answer, other than to observe that most people believe that if they're hard for other humans to see, the same must hold true for deer.

3. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    One of the things I've seen out here is international orange camouflage clothing. The theory is that the deer are colorblind, and that the pattern of light and dark prevents you from presenting a solid outline, making it harder for the deer to notice you at a distance.

-- Rich, who hasn't been mistaken for a fish yet.:wink:

4. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    aside from looking kool:wink: at the camp with the fellas.

the main purpose of camo is to break up the pattern and outline of your body. true you have to where blaze orange, and also true deer are mostly color blind. but they can see shades, and more importantly lines and curves.

if you walk into the woods wearing a bright yellow shirt with the words "i'm with stupid>" written in red across the front, the deer wont know that it is yellow and red. however, they will know that you are with someone who is more stupid than the guy who bought the shirt. they will recognize that those letters are not natural to thier environment. where as most camo is patterned after foliage and shades of shadows/ sunlight. so even though the deer wont know your wearing a new camo pimp suit, they will see that you are made up of an assortment of odd smelling bushes and trees.

make sense?

5. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    make sense? NO.
    Not really.

Take a step back and think back to when the settlers were hunting. They didn't get dressed up in fancy garb. Just their normal everyday clothing. Same as the indians. And ya can't tell me that deer today, are more jumpy than they were back then.

6. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I do believe the Indians wore hides of the quarry they were pursuing to get closer- "Camo"

7. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Nope, not camo, solid color. Still think that the camo is like bass lures, designed to catch the hunter rather than the deer

8. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Camo helps to hide the upright human figure-so you blend in with the environment. The principle is no different. Heck go hunting in a pink tutu! Won't bother me at all. (Would like to see a picture though!)

9. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    it depends on what type of hunting your doing,if your rifle hunting and you do have to wear orange anyway its not that important.if your bowhunting,and you have to get up close it makes a huge difference,if your trying to blend in and not have a deer spot you as a solid block of color.you want to have deer feed and mill around you and never see you not even in their periferal.a deers whole life and survival depends on picking out things around them that dont belong.the new camo is amazing,once while still hunting with a buddy thirty yards from me ,i move he moves once he stopped ,sometimes it was almost impossible to pick him out until he moved again.

10. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    check it out. i have something that is awesome and really cheap to boot. get some camo netting from a military surplus store. measure out a piece of netting that is the length of your body from your shoulders to your knees X2.
    cut an opening in the netting in the middle and wear it like a poncho. then get some surveyors orange paint and spray some orangs X's and O's around it. it breaks up your outline and will still be able to be seen by other hunters. TA-DA

11. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    Camo is really not required but like it was stated before you need something to break up your outline. I have killed deer in blue jeans and a T-shirt. But I do believe the two most important things that you need to take into account for hunting clothes is Smell/Scent and I would wash with a UV eliminator laundry soap.

12. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    why would deer be anymore jumpy now than they were with the settlers? its not like the population increased, or someone invented the automobile. jk

i think the more important question is what, when, and where will you be hunting?

im sure if you do a lil' research on the sport you are about to jump into nike running shoes first, you will be able to make a better decision on camo or no camo.

for the record, thanks for bein a good sport. most ppl on here would have knocked the purse outa my hand by now.

13. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    J.D sometimes I just dont know where to begin with you. And you talk about our little buddy from Texas?

14. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I personally have various thoughts about camo after chasing critters of the woods. It also depends on high power, muzzy, or bow.

1. High power whats the point?
    2. Hunting in blind with muzzle loader what is the point?
    3. Reaching your treestand with a bow before daylight what is the point?

If i was inclined to buy camo it would be gloves and a face mask. Those two area's dont contrast with anything. Wear camo breaks up your form when you are walking upright? Every critter in the woods knows nothing walks upright!!

You want to harvest a deer? Wash your clothes and yourself with something kind of whatever you want. I personally just wash stuff in baking soda.

After being on farm for most of my life and wearing bib overalls, white T-shirt old straw hat I have snuck up on many a deer. Why the wind was in my face!! Next I didnt go plowing thru the woods like a bull in heat. I have had deer walk within 30 yards of me wearing my farmer git up. I know few people on this planet that can sneak up on a deer.

Wear what you want, keep wind in your face, keep yourself and clothes clean keep your movements after daylight and you will do fine. When I shoot that 80 pointer wearing my farmer outfit what will the hunting world say then? Only people going to make money off me is CVA or Darton and they wont know.

Good luck on your hunt!!

15. CatFishingFinatic

CatFishingFinatic New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I'm with JD, camo looks cool. LOL. But from my experience the wild life aren't as afraid of camo as they are things colored non nature. I have walked up less than 2 feet to a squirrel while in full camo, said booo and he ran up a tree, luckily it wasn't me he tried to run up. I have had deer stand stomping their feet at me less than 10 yards away in camo because they didn't know what I was and they couldn't smell me. If nothing else it is interesting to watch wild life reaction to you dressed in camo. A good laugh. My sister has 2 big german sheperds, they think they are fierce, I put my camo on and they run and hide every time LOL. I don't get it, but they are terrified of camo.

16. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Between JD, Jeff and Will they have covered it. If you video tape yourself in black and white wearing both camo and casual. You will see the difference. The solid colors stand out while the camo breaks up your silhouette. Your hands and face really stand out. Deer don't see black and white they are color blind. They have no red cones. With blaze orange camo they can't tell the difference between that and the greens and browns of your surroundings. Good luck with your decision.

17. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    In Indiana, ya can get away with just an hunter orange cap. And the camo pattern does help break up your outline; if you are in cover.
    I got a "Marry-ing, Bury-ing suit", so with my fashion taste being on the low end of the food chain, why not some hunting clothes? Come on Tony, you really don't want to hunt in a polo shirt do ya? With some nice khaki "I'm the boss" pants to match. You can't "play thru" on the deer tee's. LOL Just remember to cut the tags off fore you go play with the big boys.

18. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Once, while I was wearing a camo jacket, my brother sidles up to me and says "Does the army know you're wearing their mess tent?":wink:

19. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    deer cant see color but they do see different shades. the orange is just so other people can see you and tell that ur not a deer.. it doesnt really matter with deer though cuz with a rifle they wont notice the different shade anyways..

20. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    With all that hooting and hollering from the indians the deer were to scared to move. :wink: