Camo question

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear Talk' started by vetrock, Oct 20, 2008.

1. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    I need a new camo coat. I have all mossy oak breakup camo in the thick stuff. Does the mossy oak "new" breakup match the old? Or do I need to find an old coat on ebay?

2. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Does it really matter? As long as it breaks up your outline you're good to go. I've seen people mix and match camo, and usually it looks more realistic anyways.:eek:oooh:

3. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    While most hunters prefer some particular camo, I have to agree with Matt.
    As for your question, any new camo will not match up with the old of the same, obviously, due to the old one fading somewhat. As for pattern, I have not heard of it being different.

4. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm with Matt as well. matching camo only impresses the buddies around the camp fire and the ladies behind the counter at the gas station the deer or turkey realy dont care if you match or not.

5. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    I appreciate the replies thus far. I'd still like to know if anyone has compared the 2 side by side.

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Personally you could wear a hawaiian shirt and bdu's and be fine. Just dont wash them in Tide "Summer Breeze". Movement is what will give you away along with body odor.

7. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I think I heard this somewhere. LOL Yep, get all dressed up in camo, no scent yourself so nothing can smell you then toss 500 square inches of bright blaze orange on. LOL

8. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    Camo suppliers don't want to hear this, lol, but I stopped buying camo cloths years ago, what I did was bought 2 sets of 3-d leafy wear style camo in xx/large and wear it over what ever clothes i'm wearing for the current weather conditions.

This leafy wear is akin to a gilly suit and now can be bought at most sporting goods stores, its deadly for turkey and great on deer.

The sets I have came with gloves and head nets, one set is early fall (green and brown leaves) and the other is late fall (brown and gray leaves).

Their made on a thin mesh and are real airy, and that make it great for early season hunting, you stay cool and bugs can't get you. Late season hunting it fit right over my carhart bibs and jacket.

9. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I have learned that especially when stalking, it is not always good to have matching camo for your entire wardrobe. Using different patterns for your pants than your top can and will break up your silhouette better and confuse the deer more so that they can't make you out.

10. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I like those pretty camo cloths so well I never wear a matching set even though I have several sets. I still wear my blue jeans hunting a lot of times. BUT I can sit on the front porch and get my deer as I drink the mornings coffee.

11. WhoJosh

WhoJosh New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    new break-up is the same as the old and i know it doesn't matter that much, but i perfer realtree AP to mossy oak. just my op.

12. Martin Rhodes

Martin Rhodes New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro, Tn
    Clean the surface of the boat real good.

Using a 360-grit pad will ensure a nice adhesion when painting. (some may argue 320-400)

Find someone to sell you the Mossy Oak paint templates and buy the appropriate colors.

It’s a backyard scenario above 60 degrees as long as the wife’s car isn’t parked to close as looks as good as new. :cool2:

13. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Just find a camo pattern that you can get a good deal on. Any pattern works great as long as it breaks up your outline. The main reason for the different patterns on the market is to fool the hunter and not the game. The patterns are created to make them money for the most part.

14. KamoKing

KamoKing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i dont think that anyone really answered your question yet. If you place the two side by side they are NOT exactly the same. New breakup is a little bit different and has more green in it.

HERE IS OLD MOB
    [​IMG]

HERE IS NEW MOB
    [​IMG]

So now it just depends on how much you want them to match.

15. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    No matter what camo I wear, I always cover it with 3D camo. You just can't beat that stuff IMHO. Last year I shot two deer at less than 15 feet away, while sitting on a rock, and they never saw me. One was a buck that had a doe with him. After shooting the buck, the doe stayed within 20-25 feet of me for the next 30 minutes and never saw me.