Camera Mounting on a Kayak?

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by jeremiad, Feb 17, 2009.

1. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I was wondering how you guys mount a camera to your kayak. I have a short 6" tube from a tripod that has the screw mount already on it, so I'm fairly set; all I need is to mount the tube somewhere around my console above the fish finder.

However, how do you handle a fish and set the timer on the camera at the same time? One time I came across a contraption one guy was describing, but it looked far too complicated to me.

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Well........ to make a long story short........ set timer.......grab fish and pose.....check picture.......#%$#@, bad picture, cut my head off etc.........set timer again.....Repeat as necessary!:smile2:

3. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    Ha! :smile2:

What ever happened to the manual shutter release? They aren't on these newfangled digital cameras!

4. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Not sure but I think if you yell "CHEESE" real loud it will take a picture.

Every time I hear someone say "CHEESE" the camera goes off.

I'd try that first before I invested a bunch of time and money.:smile2:

5. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I'm pretty sure RAM makes a camera mount.

6. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    I am also interested in how people mount cameras to take video and pictures, I plan to shoot some video this spring on lanier.....

I am thinking about trying a gorilla mount behind my seat to shoot video of fighting a fish from the yak, looks like you could use it anywhere:
    http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/gorilla-pod/

Pretty cool looking thing!

7. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    Okay, that Gorillapod looked great until I got to the camera-on-the-ceiling-fan picture (what's that for?...) :eek:oooh::smile2:

I have thought about these Mr.-Gumby-tripod options, but I'm not sure how many places I could attach it to my smooth-surfaced yak.

8. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    Wow, and for under $30...looks like that part of the problem is solved! :cool2:

Now, back to handling the fish, sliming your camera while attempting to set the shutter, ... :roll_eyes:

9. Lucian

Lucian New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I usually get one of my buddies to come over and take the pic. Then, ham it up and rub it in. :smile2:

If I am alone I just take the pic of the fish.

I do have a digital camera that has a flip out and twist viewfinder/ screen which can be turned back at you so you could see yourself. The camera also has a remote to trigger the pic or video. I have never used it that way though, but that should work.

10. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    Well, Dave, the order has been placed. I found a fairly good deal through gpscity.com. In fact, for the cost savings, I was able to get the 5.25" arm. The longer arm should help me get the fishfinder out of the field of view.

Thanks for the good information (reps to you)! :0a31:

11. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I seen a guy that had a camera mount that he would set the timer on and then push it out with his paddle. It mounted up front and I think it was on a 3.5-4foot pvc. It took that pic from the side that made it look like you had someone with you to take pics. After the Pic he would just pull it back in with his paddle.

12. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    This is a neat idea, Casey. Reps to you, too!

I would think that this would be a great option for those special one-time pictures. I'm not sure I would want to carry the contraption on every fishing trip though; I would probably end up dumping the camera and float to boot overboard with a fish on! :smile2:

13. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    An interesting thought (a "No DUH!" moment, as we used to say) came to me concerning this whole camera mounting business.

I have a perfectly good SLR (Canon AL-1) going to waste while I tote around my new digital that I would not want to get wet. Why not use it instead of investing much more money in encasing my digicam in some waterproof case?

The old SLR has the manual shutter release, and I have a fairly good length manual release button that will either snap the picture immediately or start the timer. I could simply mount this camera and take my pictures with it, and if it get submerged...eh, no big loss.

Of course, I would be back to the old film-handling days. On the other hand, all of the photographs framed and hanging on the wall were taken with that trusty old camera.

Perhaps this can help some of you facing the same dilemma--here's a "No DUH!" moment for you too! :wink:

14. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I just went ahead and bought a waterproof digital camera last year, now I don't have to worry so much with all the abuse it takes on the river. My last camera apparently got some moisture in it when I left it in my boats storage locker? No problem now, the new one is 10.1 Mpixel and it takes awesome pics.

A little pricey but it will last a long time and take a lot of abuse.

See it here: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8696137&type=product&id=1198888712007

15. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    I received the RAM Mount camera mount on Tuesday and mounted it that evening. This is one nice camera mount! The arm is hinged and spring-loaded so that it opens on one end while maintaining tension on the other; this way you won't drop your camera in the drink while trying to adjust it. You pick which ball you want to loosen by attaching the arm either way.

Due to the large hatch and rather small console on the Redfish, there is precious little room to place the mount. I decided to install it on the flat area in front of the starboard foot rest. The arm is then long enough to hold the camera at a fairly high angle (so my leg doesn't loom in the picture), but stay low enough to keep out of the way of my rod in the rod holder. The camera is also close enough to activate the shutter without tipping the yak.

I'm all set to capture some good vanity pictures! :0a14:

16. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Good Luck Joel we'll be watching for the pictures. It seems to me the flatheads have a nicer smile than the channels!

17. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    No, the catfish will all look kinda like this... :embarassed:

After all, the world's worst fisherman will have caught them! :smile2:

18. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I'm not sure how it would work on a kayak, but this is what I use on my boat for occasional pics: http://www.clamperpod.com/ It's basically a small C clamp with a threaded attachment for the camera, I usually attach it to the window frame.

Another option is something like this: http://www.pedcopods.com/up1.htm - the UltraPod. You can use it as a tripod, or use the velcro strap to attach it to light poles, railings, small trees, etc.

Just throwing out a couple more options for people with occasional needs.

19. schoonie

schoonie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Price is right. Looks like a good idea.