Came up empty handed...

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by IfishFORcatfish, Oct 28, 2006.

1. IfishFORcatfish

IfishFORcatfish New Member

State:
    california
    on friday the 27 i went to a pond and fished for channel cats... i used gralic chicken livers, raspberry dough balls, spotted sunfish, steak, hotdogs, and peanut butter with corn and wheat bread...

i only leave my baits for about 3 to 4 minutes??
    on time 10 and i got a nibble but ended up with nothing...
    i know there is catfish in there because they stock it =/

what went wrong??

2. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I will leave my bait in one place for maybe 30 minutes, after about 15 minutes i will crank the handle a few turns sometimes this will turn a fish on to my bait and strike. Try leaving your bait a little longer.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I would change two things. First leave your bait in the water longer and second Try using baits that are natural to that water. But even then sometimes the fish just don't bite. Patience is a must in fishing. Better luck next time.

4. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    this time of year you definately want to use natural baits. If sunfish dont work, the best thing to do when its getting colder is get or make a minnow/bream trap. That can be baited with a variety of things: dog food, bread, goldfish food, corn, grains, etc. You can search the entire site for the easiest way to construct a trap. Use any baitfish you may catch with it: bream, shiners, bullhead or whatever is in the pond. Leave your bait out longer - 10-30 mins. If you know where deep water is, thats where you should start.

5. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Just seems to me that the action isn't as good when the weather gets cold. Technique and skill come more into play IMO. Seems like in the summer you can cast pretty much anywhere in a pond and go home with a decent stringer of cats.