Came home with more than i thought i would yesterday!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Tangler, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Tangler

Tangler New Member

State:
    Sugarcreek, Ohi
    I went out fishing with my brother yesterday and caught nothing. I even threw the castnet all around my pond and got nothing. However, things all changed when a small beaver scared the crap out of me by slapping his tail about 3 feet away from me.

My brother (15 years old and full of energy) grabbed a flashlight and followed the beaver down shore where it got heavily wooded. He lost track of the beaver but found a pretty good sized shad that had obviously died in the frozen water and now was a very cold floater.

Next thing we know, were walking around this lake gathering these shad. We ended up with over 30 pounds of these fish, all about 10-12 inches!!

So we got a lot of good cutbait out of them thats currently in the freexer and I even gutted some of them and froze their innards for stinkbait later on this summer.

I had so much fun out there watching my brother crawling out on limbs and driftwood just to get a dead fish, lol. But no bites even on the new abu reels with crawlers and cut shad. O well, get em next time i guess :cool2::cool2:

Tang

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Awesome score on the bait! Always good to have an upside to a fishing adventure even when the catfish may not want to cooperate.

Thats some good sized Shad.

3. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Ryan your half way there :smile2: Your bro got the bait next time you'll both get the fish.Fish On

4. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Congrats on all the bait man. Wish I had that much shad in the freezer.

5. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I wish I had someone to crawl out on branches for me! lol :smile2:

6. Tangler

Tangler New Member

State:
    Sugarcreek, Ohi
    heres some pictures of the shad

Attached Files:

7. Tangler

Tangler New Member

State:
    Sugarcreek, Ohi
    pay no attention to the date on those lol. I just havent set the date on my camera, but i promise they were just the other day :smile2:

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Congrats on the bait brother! sounds like quite the find

9. windsor

windsor New Member

State:
    ohio
    yeah i was the one man i was the one risking his life to get the bait.

10. westvirginiacatfish

westvirginiacatfish New Member

State:
    Ronceverte
    Congratulations on scoring some nice sized shad. Now you can concentrate on catching some big cats.:cool2:

11. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    Was watching the local news and they had video of the "yearly massive shad kill on Grand Lake St Marys" this past week. "What a nuisance it was cleaning it up and the stench", they reported! My thoughts were darn I should go up and help them clean them up myself if it weren't such a far drive and I don't have a big freezer in my apt.
    Great minds think alike though.
    I headed to a local park pond and picked up a few myself near the drains, ziplocked them twice outside and still couldn't stand the smell, even after they were frozen, my place is too small so out to the dumpster! I think I will just get them live before I go out. LOL and as stated above I would like to have someone to go out on the log too but if I really needed to I would still probably try for a rig, lure, etc. when I am accidently fishing for squirrels as we put it. Wading the Mad river for trout or chubs for bait yields many opportunities to fish for squirrels usually.:eek:oooh:

12. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    man its been years since i have found that many shad...havent had that many in my freezer for far too long...maybe ill go scouting for some soon!