Cam sensor location on a 1999 Chev 5.7 Z71?

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by Stainless, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Stainless

Stainless Member

State:
    Ft Smith, AR
    My buddy I work with has a 1999 Chev ext cab Z71 with a 5.7 in it. He has been having problems with it since he bought it from his father. He has to dump gas in the throttle body to get it to start but from there it idles fine. It gets him back and forth to work but there is something else wrong as well. If he floors the throttle while going down the road it spits and sputters but if he eases into the throttle it runs fine. He was told to change the crank and cam sensor? He already changed the crank sensor and that didn't fix anything so now he is trying to find where the cam sensor is located so he can change that. We looked around under the hood tonight without getting to into it but didn't locate it. I told him I would try to find out for him and I'm sure some of you guys know your way around Chevrolet engines :big_smile:

2. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    The cam sensor on that truck is located inside the distributor. However I doubt that this is what is causing the problem. I would definitely check the fuel pressure first. Sounds to me that the pressure isn't high enough. On that vehicle the pressure must be 52 psi or more. If not it will not start, but it may run on lower pressure. Which would explain why dumping gas in it gets it running. Also your description of flooring it going down the road sounds like a fuel pump to me. Tell your friend to get the pressure checked before he dumps anymore $ into parts that don't fix it. Hope this helps you out.

3. Stainless

Stainless Member

State:
    Ft Smith, AR
    I mentioned that to him but we had a "know it all" out there helping us and the other guy said he already checked it and it had good pressure. I know for a fact he didn't check it with a gauge though.

While talking about the know it all guy, he also tried to tell me every car has an abuse limiter mechanism that shuts the rpm's of the vehicle down after it has been ran hard from start to stop four times. I may be wrong but I told him I've never heard of any crap like that and that I thought it was bogus in my opinion. It's hard for me to believe that a vehicle manufacturer is going to limit so specifically the way someone wants to drive their car.

4. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Tell him to get it checked with a gauge. Good pressure might not be the right pressure.

No limiter like that on any of them. Some do have rev limiters to keep you from revving them to high. And some have speed limiters on them that won't let you over a certain speed. I would say your right about him being a know it all. :big_smile:

5. Ecfool

Ecfool New Member

State:
    California
    One question about this. Is the "check engine" light on? If so have your buddy get the trouble codes run before you replace any more "possible bad" parts. The old "I heard this is it" routine gets expensive and can cause yur patience to wear thin really quick, when they don't fix the problem.
    I also agree have fuel pressure checked one problem that era of GM products had was the rubber hose located at the top of fuel pump to the fuel line in tank was prone to deterioration and would cause pressure to drop drastically.
    As for the "know it all" sounds like hes a candidate for DKS award (DontKnowSquat)

6. Stainless

Stainless Member

State:
    Ft Smith, AR
    Yes, it had lights on and it showed it to be the cam and crank sensors. I really didn't get a chance to talk with him today about it but I figure he'll probably wait till this weekend to change the cam sensor and then if that doesn't work he can do what jason454ci suggested. I recall reading online somewhere last night that you had to set the timing with some sort of automotive computer instead of a timing light? I know the "know it all" guy has twisted on his distributer before to get it running so if it's that touchy, the timing may be off as well. But it already had this problem before this happened.

7. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Twisting the distributor does nothing for adjusting the timing on that truck. However it will set codes and turn the engine light on with a cam and crank sensor correlation code. Yes it does have to be set with a computer and not a timing light. He may want to get the timing straightened out before anything else. That might take care of the engine light and the codes.