Calvin, new noodling technique!

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Catfish Fever, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Calvin, here's a new way to hand(?) grab Flatheads. Thought you might be interested, you gotta wear waders though!:big_smile:

Attached Files:

2. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    That was a funny article Jim. I've had that happen to me but only when I had my foot stuck back in a hole during the spawning season. I'd never heard of a flathead doing that out in the open and especially this early in the year. I guess he just didn't want any company in his little mud puppy hole.
    How's Milford been doing Jim? I think I'm going to buy a new motor tomorrow or Saturday. It'll take a week or two to get it and then I'll plan on swinging up to visit you for some time on the lake.

3. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Calvin,
    That'd be great if you come up. We've been fishing from the boat ramp, last Sunday Jerald got a 8.5 Channel, yesterday I got a 8.25, GEEEZ, I knew I shouldn't have given him any bait, LOL. Mostly they've been eater size though, 2.5 to 3 lbrs. We'll probably on fish the Catoon this weekend.
    I seen this article in our local rag last Sunday, just procrastinatin again and didn't post it before every one else did. Aaahhh, I don't care, this one was for you, LOL. Looking forward to our "congregation" at El Dorado again this year, Jerald too. Be nice to see y'all again.

4. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I'm looking forward to it Jim. I just ordered a new 30HP four stroke for my flat bottom yesterday. It won't be here for a couple of weeks. As soon as it arrives I'll give you a shout and try to make it up to Milford. I'm looking forward to our ElDorado get together this spring too. Hopefully, we will get some rain before long. The lake is 6' low and falling. Have you had any luck finding a little camper for you guys?

5. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Wow, that's lower than it was last year, ain't it? We're creeping up here, real slow, but the lake is rising, the corps site showed were down 4.34 feet now, so we're up a little over two feet from what we were. Either location, it'll be good to see and fish with you again.

6. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Last year it was only down a foot and a half Jim. I keep hoping the rains will come soon. As close as we are together we should get together several times a year. In May I'm going to be fishing a week on the Verdigris. Its be great if you and Jerald could make it over there for a while. I'll have my new motor in a couple of weeks. That's going to make it easier to fish the rivers and trees.
    I'm guessing there has been enough snow melt on the Missouri to keep them from robbing from Milford.

7. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    That sounds like a good time, on the river, is it deep enough for the Catoon? If nothing else, we could bring Jeralds boat, it's kinda of a bass boat type.

8. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    The river is plenty deep enough Jim. But you may have a little bit of maneuvering to turn around very well in the Catoon. Its a nice river and I think you guys would enjoy it. It'd be different than what you're used to up there and there are some real nice fish in there too. Are you and Jerald still looking for a camper? I know a guy who has a motor home with only twenty some thousand miles on it that he said he would sell for a thousand dollars. Of course he might take less than that too. Its been stored in a shop for four years and only driven enough to lubricate it and turn the wheels a few times. I think it might be a good deal if you are interested.

9. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    The first time I ever went noodling, I had 2 different fish hit my toes. That's the only lesson I ever needed about wearing shoes while noodling. No joke fellas.... that crap hurts!!! It's one thing to be shocked and freaked out when you stick your hand in a hole and get it hit, but it's much different when you accidentally put your foot where it shouldn't be and get hit. Talk about getting freaked out!:lol:

10. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Calvin, what we had in mind was an EXTREMELY frugally priced pop-up, that didn't leak, didn't really have to have anything in it, just some thing to keep us out of the weather. HOWEVER, I will mention this to Jerald tomorrow, that sounds like a SUPER DEAL, I let you know something tomorrow. Heck, Lydia may even be able to be "HONEY DOO'D" into something like that. Can you get me any more particulars on it, make, year, etc.? That sounds like a real attractive offer on the surface. Where's it located, any where near you? Talk with you tomorrow. Thanks for the info

11. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    As far as the lake goes, like I said, it's slowly creeping up. The Corps had another article in the paper the other day, "they definitely would not take any water from Kansas lakes to raise the Missouri". Of course they made just about the same statement last fall, then they lowerd the lake from 2 foot above conservation to 6.5 feet below conservation. I wouldn't bet a wooden nickle on ANYTHING they say they'll do/not do.

12. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I hear you Jim. You can take just about any statement the government makes and assume they will do the opposite. It has always raked me anyway that so many Kansans have to sacrifice for the finanical benefit of a few out of state coorperations. If the river is too low for traffic due to natural circumstances (or maybe global warming issues) let them ship by rail. Or maybe they can pay to stock a million bluecats in all Kansas lakes. I'd better dive off my soapbox before I ruffle someone's scales,er, feathers.:wink:

13. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Calvin, THIS TIME, I saved that news paper article, if they start dropping the water this year, I'm going to post it on the Corps website. Last year I sent an email about the handy cap parking area in the Curtis Creek parking lot. The reason, I'd been bringing it to the attention of the Corps rangers for a couple of years, last year, I'd brought it up to the attention of the Milford Lake "boss", same answer as always, we doing things by priority. I even offered to paint the lines if he'd give me the paint and roller, NO, everything is done by the priority list!
    What the problem was, the no parking lines to the side of the handicapped slot were gone (faded). On occasion, a wheelchair bound guy would come to fish, but he couldn't use the HCP'd slot because people would park in the unloading zone because it wasn't marked. Not only that, their trailer would block the entrance to the sidewalk going to the handicapped fishing dock. So he'd have to park farther away.
    On a Friday evening I emailed the above information to the Kansas City Corps HQ, Tuesday morning, TAAAADAAAA, lines painted in the handicap unloading area!
    Course, when I went to get my boat ramp permit I seen some sly "dirty looks", :big_smile: like I could really care.
    They drop that water again, KC HQ will be getting a copy of that news paper article!

14. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Kind of like the disgrace at Walter Reed. Its OK to die or become crippled defending my policies. But don't come back here expecting the government that caused your pain to give a damned about your recovery. They're the same from top to bottom. Probably some handicapped vets that would like to have fished at that spot Jim. It was also probably some draft dodging A--hole that wouldn't get off his parasite infected butt to do his job.

15. That punches a hole in the theory that flatheads take the winter off from feeding. Or maybe waders are the secret new bait that gets them going in the prespawn. Anyway lets keep this a secret or the flattie population will suffer....:roll_eyes:

16. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas

Quit holding back Calvin, let us know how you REALLY feel about it! :wink: