Calvin, how much time is left.........

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by KansasKatter, Oct 25, 2006.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Hey guys, especially Calvin, how much time do we have left this season to catch flatheads? The water temp at the river last weekend was between 55 and 57 degrees.

What is the magic number where they pretty much shut down for the winter? I know they are probably moving into the winter holes by now. Just wondering if they are still feeding well.

2. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    I'm not Calvin but I have heard that 50 degrees is the temp that flatheads will shut down. This may vary from river to lakes. I would think in rivers with moving water you may have a better chance below 50 degrees.

3. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Thanks Paul,

I agree, I was thinking around 50 as well. What puzzles me though is that is surface temp. If you find a 20' hole, the temp down there is probably still around 60 or better, if surface is 55.

4. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Jeff,
    I'm not a Flathead Catfish fisherman, but I do read all the articles I come across about them. I have read about guys that don't start fishing for them until "cold" water. They claim they catch them all winter, so maybe you don't want to give up to early. If you remember back a "few"(10+) years, ALL Catfish supposedly "went to sleep" during winter, that mis-information was disspelled by Doug Stange, I seen TV shows and read articles in his magazine where Channel and Blues are caught thru the ice.

5. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I've caught alot of flatheads in 45-50 degree water. I was fishing with Josh one night when he caught 2 flatheads 29lbs and 39lbs in 35 degree water in mid March. I also hooked 1 flathead that I wasn't able to land and missed another good run that I'm positive was a flathead. I don't know if something triggered them to bite but it had not been a warm day just average for that time of year. We tried several more nights in a row in the same spot and only caught channels. The best advice I can give you is to just keep trying for them and see what happens.

6. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Jeff, I don't think the water temperature has as much effect on flatheads in the fall as it does in the spring. November is a great month for flatheads. In fact I am planning on a jug fishing trip to Keystone before it gets too late. the air temperature will have more of an impact on them than the water temperature. Also where you are fishing for them makes a difference this time of year. They will still come into the shallows to feed but spend more time in or near deeper holes. This is a great time to be catching flatheads. How's your boat working out?

7. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    One personal instance I failed to mention, not to contradict Calvin about cold water temperatures affecting Flatheads. Last February I was drifting for Blues and Channels, water temp was 35deg, depth about forty feet, I was drifting cutbait. I got bit just as my bait was going over an old road and railroad bed(marked on GPS), I pulled in a 28lb Flathead. One of only three I've ever caught on Milford Lake. With the exception of the road/rrbed, I was in the middle of no where, just a big flat. I'd say don't stop fishing for them, you'll probably just have to be more patient, and be less optomistic about catching one every time you go out, like you probably would be during the prime fishing time for Flatheads.

8. LBM

LBM New Member

State:
    Prairie Village, Kansas
    I recall an In-Fisherman show about winter catfishing that left me with the following impressions.

1 During the winter cats will congregate in deeper holes and can be caught in numbers if those locations can be found.

2 The shows host really emphasized that this should just be catch and release since he thought that these wintering holes can easily be decimated by slob fishermen.

They used a vertical presentation by dangling baits into the holes where the fish were congregated.

The show was on a river but I thought/assumed the same info would apply to a lake also.

There is no first hand knowledge on my part as to the veracity of the above just my take on watching the show.

Now if I get tired of the winter crappie fishing maybe I'll try going after the cats one of these days.

9. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Thanks Calvin, Toby and I were just talking about Keystone Saturday night. We went back out to Woodson and caught a mess of channel cat. We were talking about going to Keystone sometime to fish now that we have a boat.

The boat is doing great, just wish I could say the same for the motor. It ran perfect the first two or three trips, then I went to messing with it becuase of rust in the fuel filter, and all went to hell. It now will only run if you keep it choked, otherwise it runs for about 20' then bogs down and dies. You don't know a good honest outboard man locally do you?:roll_eyes:

10. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas

Here is an excellent article on cold water flatheads, it is In-Fisherman, so it may be about the same story you are talking about. Pretty good reading.

11. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Jeff, I may know someone who can work on your motor. What kind is it and how old is it? Was it running OK until you got the rust in the filter? If and when I go to Keystone I'll give you and Toby a shout and you can go with me if you want. I'll just be going down there to jug for a weekend and there is plenty of room on my boat a couple more guys. My only problem now is that hunting is conflicting with fishing for me and lately hunting is winning. I do hate to miss a November trip to Keystone though.

12. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Calvin, it is an 84 Mercury 25HP. It was running perfect, but I noticed some rust in the bowl of the fuel filter. I replaced the filter, new plastic tank, and new fuel line. The new fuel line would not work, would not pump up, so I went with the old fuel line. Ran it the first time and it ran fine, but would run out of gas, but keep running if you pumped the bulb every now and then. I put the old filter back on, thinking the new one may be leaking air or something, but now it will only run if you leave it choked, and at almost full throttle. I took the carb off last night, going to take it apart and give it a good cleaning, see if maybe some rust snuck through while I was changing filters back and forth, clogged something up perhaps. I will keep you posted.

13. SuCoTraveler

SuCoTraveler New Member

State:
    Milan Kansas
    Jeff, Kelly at Crest View Marine has always done me right, on the corner of greenwich and central. Hope you get it fixed.

14. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Thanks Chris! I was thinking of them.....going to try to fix it myself, then after I screw it up I might give him a call.........:roll_eyes:

15. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    It won't take more than a tiny flake of rust to cause you some real headaches Jeff. Get a can of Zero Tri and flush your carb out real good. Have you emptied the tank and cleaned it our too?

16. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I got a new plastic tank, and new fuel line. I ordered a carb kit online yesterday, when it gets here I am going to go through it. It does not look like it would be to difficult.

17. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I'll bet if you do that you won't have any more problems Jeff. Its no telling how long the old tank had sat with moisture and old gas before you got it. Good luck with it.