Calveras Lake

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Wac M Trac M, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Wac M Trac M

Wac M Trac M New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm off Wednesday and planning on hitting either Pedernales Falls or Lake Calveras or Braunig..please excuse my spelling..it's late.

Can I use a kayak in those lakes or is the wind/waves dangerous?

I was told to fish the rail road tresil or as close to the discharge as possible.. Anyone have some advice or does anyone want to come along? Thanks in advance

2. Marcos

Marcos New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hi Frank!
    You can yak at Calaveras, just check the weather cause if it's windy it might get really choppy. I have seen many yaks out there. You can try the 181 cove for catfish. I always see a lot of folks at the wall but I have never stopped there cause it's usually really crowded. It is straight out from the first boat launch, it is also 1\2 way to the 181 cove straight past the wall. The railroad bridge is a good distance. I have never seen any yaks that far, but you will need to cover a good stretch of water to get there. You can use Google Earth or Microsoft live search to check out the lakes layout. Hope this helps and good luck.

3. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    ditto. I've seen them on caliveras too. Fished along with a feller in a kayak across from the boat ramp and to the right a pretty good ways down. Seems like I remember it being a windy day too because I remember motoring with the wind in a little john boat and 5 HP motor the wind waves were passing me :roll_eyes:

4. el-de-saspamco

el-de-saspamco New Member

State:
    Saspamco,Texas
  5. Wac M Trac M

Wac M Trac M New Member

State:
    Texas
    Wow thats so cool. Looks like something out of that show 24. Thanks this will help. I really appreciate your help. THANKS!!!:big_smile:

6. Wac M Trac M

Wac M Trac M New Member

State:
    Texas
    That map was so cool. I panned way in and you can see boats driving around and fishing. Seems most people are on the West side of the lake.
    This is a great tool for catfishing. I uploaded the software for teraserver. Cool stuff. This will help with river fishing. I was nervous about fishing the Pedernales cause in most areas there are dams to close together so your stuck in a small area but with that sofware you can see where the dams are and plan ahead. Thanks again

7. el-de-saspamco

el-de-saspamco New Member

State:
    Saspamco,Texas
    Glad you liked it, yeah it's pretty cool the only draw back is that so old, have to becareful with that remember things change some. I think the last time I asked the lakes were down about 2' (maybe more now). Theres a little pond right behind Braunig on Old Corpus Chrisiti rd thats drying up pretty darn quickly, I've seen the water from Braunig go over the embankment which looks like maybe 4' tall.
    I wish I could join you today, I won't be able to go until maybe the weekend which is cool b/c it's a full moon so maybe I'll try a little night fishing.

Best of luck to you,
    Rubes